XP-80 Low sound and motherboard connectors

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
XP-80forever

XP-80 Low sound and motherboard connectors

Post by XP-80forever »

My beloved XP-80 has low or no sound. I reset to factory settings, but no use. I saw a video of someone fixing the problem on an XP-50 by replacing all the caps. To confirm, I took it to an authorized repair dealer and they conformed the same. However, they were asking for $750!!! So, I decided to do it myself. I have the XP-80 service manual to identify the various caps on the PCB. However, I'm having a hard time removing the different cable connectors. I'm afraid to pull the wired ones (not the flat-ribbon ones) incorrectly. I need advice on two things:
1, list of recommended capacitors, including vendor
2, how do I disconnect the connector for the wire connectors.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
MatrixRat

Re: XP-80 Low sound and motherboard connectors

Post by MatrixRat »

1. A colleague insists on Panasonic for electrolytic SMD caps and many low audio faults are related to inter-stage coupling caps in audio paths.
2. The pcb headers for the multi-wire connectors have an integral locking thingy which needs to be carefully prised upwards a millimetre or two for release.
3. When you get the board out, examine the area around SMD electros for any sign of electrolyte leakage, corrosion or signs of solder-mask lifting. Plenty of light and don't be shy about using a magnifier.
XP-80forever

Re: XP-80 Low sound and motherboard connectors

Post by XP-80forever »

Thanks MatrixRat. Still trying to pull out the multi cable connectors from MB. I saw a video where the Panasonic brand is recommended. I have a good head set magnifier from Amazon I bought specifically to deal with the removal and soldering of the SMT caps.