Changing JV1080 Performances via midi

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
SoixanteNewf

Changing JV1080 Performances via midi

Post by SoixanteNewf »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping someone might be able to help me out with a JV 1080 question.

In my live rig, I have a Korg Wavestation EX controlling a JV 1080. When I'm in patch mode on the JV, whenever I change patches on the Wavestation, the patch on the JV changes as well. But for playing live, everything I'm using on the JV has been stored as performances.

How do I set up the JV so that it receives performance change info from the controller via midi? Basically, I want to have patch 01 on the contoller corrspond to Performance 01 on the JV. And when I change to patch 02 on the controler, the JV changes to 02, and so on.

And I would want to do it so that the ONLY midi information that the JV responds to is keys, pitch/mod... plus the changes from performance to performance mentioned above. I don't any parameter info on any of the individual patches inside each JV Performance to change.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know! The JV is such a great machine... just picked a second one up off Reverb, and can't wait to build it into my rig.

Thanks,
Shep
MatrixRat

Re: Changing JV1080 Performances via midi

Post by MatrixRat »

To change the Perform number, firstly Receive Bank Select needs to be turned on in System, then the JV needs to receive a Bank Select <number> message.

I don't know if the Korg can send a Bank Select message.
kiskadar69

Post by kiskadar69 »

1. For JV-1080, the SETUP / <Control Channel> parameter value tells you on which MIDI channel to send Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB and Program Change messages to change the Performance. For the SETUP / RECEIVE MIDI parameter, Bank Select ("Bnk") and Program Change "P.C" reception must be enabled.

2. Then try to send Program Change 1..32 messages on the Control Channel to the JV-1080 ("Cc pp", where c=Control Channel 0..F and pp=00..1F).

3. If step 2 does not work, try to send Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB messages to the JV-1080 on the Control Channel using some device:
User Performance bank select: "Bc 00 50 Bc 20 00", where c=control channel value (0..F).
Preset "A" Performance bank selection: "Bc 00 51 Bc 20 00", where c=the value of the control channel (0..F).
Preset "B" Performance bank selection: "Bc 00 51 Bc 20 01", where c=value of the control channel (0..F).
RAM card Performance bank selection: "Bc 00 52 Bc 20 00", where c=value of control channel (0..F).

Then try to send Program Change 1..32 messages on the Control Channel ("Cc pp", where c=the value of the control channel 0..F and pp=00..1F).
kiskadar69

Post by kiskadar69 »

I tried to find out from the Korg Wavestation manual exactly how the Korg Wavestation EX sends the Bank Select MSB (Bc 00 dd), Bank Select LSB (Bc 20 dd) and Program Change (Cc pp) messages in Patch and Performance mode, but for me was not clearly revealed. According to the manual, it always sends a 0 to the Bank Select MSB (if it sends anything at all). The value of Bank Select LSB and Program Change depends on which bank you selected (RAM1/RAM2: Bank Select LSB=0, ROM/card: Bank Select LSB=1).
Connect the Korg Wavestation EX MIDI Out to a device that displays MIDI messages (for example, a Windows computer running the free Bome Send SX program) and check it out.

It might be worth buying a properly programmable MIDI keyboard controller for the Roland JV-1080.
For example, I recommend the current (Cakewalk by) Roland A-300PRO/ A-500PRO / A-800PRO (2010-) or the older Edirol (by Roland) PCR-300 / PCR-500 / PCR-800 (2007-2010).
If you want a more sophisticated keyboard mechanic, buy an old Roland A-30 / A-33 / A-37 (these have two zones and each zone can be programmed with Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB and Program Change).
If you have even more money, get an old Roland A-70 (this is what many professional musicians used to use for the JV-1080 back in the day).