My JP8000 Is Crazy!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
grrrrrant

My JP8000 Is Crazy!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Post by grrrrrant »

My JP8000 is changing values by itself no matter if I'm playing it or not touching it. They are different parameters all the time. I confirmed this by holding down the shift key and watching several different parameters change. Any suggestions? I have already reset it to factory default twice. What should I do?

Thanks, Grant
Solitary man

Re: My JP8000 Is Crazy!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Post by Solitary man »

Hi grrrrrant,
I had this problem with my MC-505. Is your JP-8000 kept in a smokey dusty environment?
This may sound like a dumb question but my MC-505 was second hand and from the looks of it it wasn't kept dust free and it smelt of cigarette smoke. Anyway I e mail Roland and one of the engineers said it was probably dirty contacts on the encoders causing the values to change at random. So basically it just needed taking apart and all contacts cleaning.

I took it apart, cleaned it up used a bit of switch cleaner but only sparingly and it was absolutely fine after that. So I wouldn't get too worried just yet as a clean up of the contacts could solve your problem.

I hope this helps.......
grrrrrant

Post by grrrrrant »

I've cleaned it good once already. Any other suggestions? I'll clean it again, but I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Thanks, Grant
Synthia

Post by Synthia »

My JP8000 is the same.It flips out ever so often.
I keep my synths clean but the thing still goes mad.
I even changed the internal battery hoping it would sort itself out but it still self edits.It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes it changes all the parameters by itself without me touching a thing.