Loving the so-called

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Vlad_77

Loving the so-called

Post by Vlad_77 »

I just picked up a mint condition XV-88 today. Now, by all standards, some would call this synth obsolete. It's 8 years old, discontinued, etc. But, what a GREAT instrument. I do not know how many here still play the XV-88, but I am really impressed by its PILES of sounds. The keyboard still stands up to just about any synth today. Nothing is obsolete in my opinion. Obsolescence is the misperception on the artist's part that the "old" is no longer viable.

Anyhow, if there ARE some veteran XV-88 users here that might have some cool programming tips, I would love to hear them!

My "obsolete" gear includes:

Fantom X8 2.0, 544 MB RAM
Roland XV-88
Roland JP-8000
Juno-106
K2000
Wavestation EX
SH-32
TG-33

Now, all I need is a Matrix 12 and I will be in synth heaven!!

Best,
Vlad
javaj_

Re: Loving the so-called

Post by javaj_ »

sounds like a great score- how much did you end up paying for it (I see ebay doesn't even have any so I am curious what the going rate is).
Vlad_77

Re: Loving the so-called

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hey Javaj,

Actually, in terms of cash, it cost me nothing. I had one of the original Fantoms (FA-76). I was messing around on Sweetwater's community site where I saw that another musician was looking for an FA-76. I prefer 88 keys and I have the sampling/sequencing areas well covered already. So we made a trade and both benefited by it. Since, if I need to, I can install the XV-5080 sounds into the X8, I haven't really "lost" anything.

I HAVE seen that XV-88s are going for anywhere between 800.00USD to 1200.00 USD. It is really a nice board and the MIDI implementation is superb. For someone even just looking for a good controller with 88 keys, this is a beauty. The crystal clear sounds are the icing on the cake. It has a lighter action than the X8 - I have both set at medium - so it feels like a heavy action synth type board if that makes sense.

It contains all the JV series waveforms, all the XV3080 stuff, and 112 waveforms from the JD990. It has room for 2 SRX cards and two SR-JV 80 cards. The synthesis engine is exactly the same as the Fantoms: FA-76, S, X, G. There are 63 MFX on this board so it still has a nice palette of effects. There is no sequencer or sampler, but then again, it's a synth and not a "workstation". It's "old" but still is a source for additional sound creation.

I like this board so much I would buy one if this one would were stolen. But, it is a TANK, so little danger in that!

Best,
Vlad