Bagged a near mint JP-8000

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Vlad_77

Bagged a near mint JP-8000

Post by Vlad_77 »

Strange how one's preferences to musical instruments can sometimes gravitate to one manufacturer. When I first started playing I was using Korgs and Sequential Circuits and nary a Roland in sight. I stupidly got rid of a lot of gear through the years - Oberheims, etc. so my rig should be much larger. Then the Roland bug bit me.

Today I just bagged a near mint JP-8000! Out of eight hardware synths/workstations I own, FIVE are Roland - the other three are a Kurzweil, Wavestation EX, and a TG 33.

I am sure the Secret Roland Agent (TM) is behind this :)

Anyway, the JP-8000 is simply a blast! Seems I definitely need to read the manual. This synth is really open to experimentation, but just messing about with it without glancing at the manual has demonstrated that I need to learn to navigate this beastie. I haven't figured out how to change patches in single increments - they jump 10 in number. I HOPE this isn't a bug.

Anyhow, I am curious to hear from other JP-8000 users. Any cool tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Best Vlad
MarkShovel

Re: Bagged a near mint JP-8000

Post by MarkShovel »

There is a Roland software package for loading patches.

There are also two Roland patch packages available.

Mark
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Mark,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will seek these.

Oh, I began to read the manual (DUH) and figured out the patch increment thing.

Best,
Vlad
claudio

Post by claudio »

Hi Vlad.
Just to tell you that i have a second-hand jp-8080 (rack versione of jp-8000) since one month. And i love it!
It's awesome to play it with my fantom X.
I discover this beast listening live an italian electronic band: Port-Royal and i decided i wanted a JP.
They make a massive use of jp-8000 in their last cd "Afraid to dance". Do you know?
this is the link if you want to listen something: http://www.myspace.com/uptheroyals
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Claudio,

Molto grazie paisano!

I will check it out!

The JP has been a GREAT addition to my rig. I went in to Guitar Center with the purpose of buying a new keyboard stand to accommodate new gear. As always, I like to have a look around to see what is in stock. The JP was sitting atop a Motif XS. I jumped on it! Thank goodness I did too. Someone called about buying it just as I was giving them my credit card.

I always wanted one of these but always got sidetracked. What a BEAST it is in terms of sound creation and control!

Ciao paisano,

Vlad
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Vlad, I remember you were contemplating buying a PC3X. I've seen that Kurz released the PC3 which is better in at least 3 aspects: size, weight and price :) Since you already have the X8 and the XV-88 I don't think you need an 88 keyboard anymore :)
On a local web page I've seen advertised a used FA76 + an expansion card at 500 euros flat. Do you need it ? :) However the flight may add to the total price..
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Parsifal,

I love the original FA-76. A GREAT keyboard that Roland never supported.

The reason I have been considering the new Kurzweil is for its sheer power. As wonderful as the G8 may be for some, it cannot even approach the sound creation possibilities of the Kurzweil. Even the K2000 has over 30 different types of synthesis. The PC3X has 128 plus the ability to create your own DSPs. The included VA-1 makes this beast a player in the OASYS area. People complain about the relatively small ROM set, but, they forget that Kurzweil has many functions which allow the user to create new waves in a myriad ways even without sampling.

With Hyundai backing them, those deep pockets are going to place Kurzweil back in its position as a major player.

As to the FA-76, I would love to snag another, especially at such a great price of 500 euros. But, as you say, the flight costs to the US would probably exceed what I would spend for one here in the US.

As to another 88 key beastie, you ARE right! My back HATES me. But, if I would buy the PC3X, I would keep the XV-88 strictly in my studio.

Decisions, decisions!

But I DO know for certain that the G is not for me. I know it may sound daft, but I feel that the X is more "alive". The G felt and sounded rather antiseptic to me.

The PC3 IS a good alternative to the PC3X in the areas you mentioned, so that IS another consideration for me.

Thanks for the info on the FA-76 and the PC3!!

All the best,
Vlad
Synthia

Post by Synthia »

Hi Vlad,

The Fantom FA-76 is my favourite Fantom.The FA-76 just sounds so warm and organic compare to the other Fantoms.I wished,I never sold mine now.I had to sell it because it's so large and wouldn't fit in my small place.I replaced it with the smaller Fantom,which I still have,but the FA-76 sounds so much better.I nearly bought another one last week as I saw a cheap one for sale but again the size stopped me.I really wished,Roland made a 61 key version of it,then I would have kept it forever.I also own the great JP8000,now that's a beast.I'll never part with mine.You will love it:)
gianni.varrica

JP-8000

Post by gianni.varrica »

I loved my JP-8000. Although it is a very powerful subtractive synthesizer (with sync and ring modulator) it's very easy to program simple patches; super saw and feedback waves are absolutely a must-have to create big pads and screaming leads. I sold it few years ago to buy my Roland organ module... It has been the most horrible mistake of my entire life. Remember to calibrate the pitch bender! :-)) Also, every parameter can be applyed to the ribbon controller and to velocity, this function can be used to program some really powerful and expressive patches.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Synthia,

You are so very right about the FA-76. There is a certain "organicness" to it that I have encountered in few other synths. I too am sorry I got rid of mine, but it wasn't due to the size. A chap who had owned an FA-76 was interested in doing a trade. When I contacted him he was offering a Fantom S (61 key) for trade. I declined that trade. Then he offered an XV-88. I did the trade and I DO love the XV-88! But, I miss my FA-76 and I am now on the lookout for another - at a reasonable price.

Gianni,

I LOVE the JP-8000. The sonic possibilities of this beast are insane! It is a joy to program, has a nice feel to it in terms of its action, and the motion control feature is a blast. Of course, you know all of this!

Just for grins I MIDIed it to an SH-32 module to see just how wild I could get with patch creation. Suffice to say I was blown away! Ok, so the two together still aren't as powerful as the legendary Matrix 12 in certain respects such as modulation routing, but my Kurzweil takes care of that just fine. The JP-8000 on its own is amazing. With an SH-32 (or I would wager any VA module) it comes VERY close to that Matrix 12 sound I have always wanted :)

Best to both of you!!

Vlad
jessej

Post by jessej »

I've been a happy JP-8000 user since 1990 and I know it quite thoroughly, so if you have any questions (after reading the manual) related to the JP-8000 please do feel free to throw me with a question!
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Jesse,

Thank you, I will! I truly LOVE this beast and right now am just doing some tweaking. I hope to have time to dive in the deepend and get totally lost :)

Best,
Vlad