JP-8000 problems--- Please advise

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
ChemalTec

JP-8000 problems--- Please advise

Post by ChemalTec »

I recently bought a JP-8k off Craigslist for $450. It was advertised "as new, almost never used" (I know, this is usually BS... knew it then, too). It seemed to work fine when I tried it at his place; but when I got it home and fired it up it had problems. The patch edit indicator (the asterisk) comes up, and the volume drops to nothing or nearly nothing. And when I go to turn it up, the volume knob helps a little. I need to mess with it more (synth is at home, I am at college, be home this weekend), but I think some of the other controls are eff'ed as well.

How do I fix this?

Please advise on this, guys. I love this synth (when it works) and I don't wanna lose it (if I don't have to). Not only that, but I am a college student. Not a lot of free cash.
jessej

Re: JP-8000 problems--- Please advise

Post by jessej »

Have you tried a Factory reset?
ChemalTec

Re: JP-8000 problems--- Please advise

Post by ChemalTec »

yeah. didn't help. I think it's one of the controls f***ing up, but I can't be sure.
MarkShovel

JP-8000 edit

Post by MarkShovel »

Hi ChemalTec,

I have a JP-8000 that I bought used. When I adjust he sliders, I sometimes also get the edit asterick on new patch selectsion like you describe.

It seems the sliders are noisey. Try a high quality pot lubricant on the sliders. I need to take mine apart and apply the same process.

Do not use "TV tuner cleaner" this stuff will give you a quick fix, but a long term problem.

Use the Caig products:
http://www.caig.com/

I have seen this stuff for sale at Guitar Center.

You may have to open up the JP-8000 to access the slider slots to spray the Caig stuff. Be very stingy with the amount of spray that you use. Just a quick squirt, then move the sliders up and down. Repeat as necessary.

The JP-8000 is a very cool, portable synth. Look for the Roland patch loading tool and the two additional Roland patch libraries.

Mark