Rack requirements for a JP-8080

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Arjan

Rack requirements for a JP-8080

Post by Arjan »

Hi,

I'm considering replacing my JP-8000 with a JP-8080 and was wondering what the case requirements are for rack mounting one. I've never seen one in real life, only on pictures, and was wondering if the Wikipedia is correct in saying that the JP-8080 is 6HE and whether that refers to the depth of the control surface or the actual height as a table top.

Also if you have any specific recommendations for a rack please let me know. I'm located in the Netherlands so apart from local retailers I can also easily shop at Thomann or Musik Produktive and the likes. Sweetwater is not an option due to high overseas shipping cost.

I would need a rack to house the JP-8080, an XV-5080, possibly a line mixer (something like the Alesis MultiMix 8) and maybe a spare place where I can Isafely store my Netbook but I could put that in a case of its own perhaps. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Arjan
dbijoux

Re: Rack requirements for a JP-8080

Post by dbijoux »

JP8080 is 6U - that is six rack units tall.

Good luck finding one at a reasonable price. Some people are so crazy with used synths these days. I see them on ebay, but good price doesn't include shipping from Japan! Maybe the story is different in Netherlands.

Sorry, no suggestions on a rack - are you building a live rig?
Arjan

Re: Rack requirements for a JP-8080

Post by Arjan »

Yes, I'm building a live rig and trying to get it more compact with fewer keyboards on stage. My old setup consisted of an Fantom X7, JP-8000, Korg CX-3, XV-5080 module and a D-70 as an additional MIDI keyboard for playing sounds from the Fantom.

Thanks to the use of a Netbook and the Fantom X Live Commander I'm developing I can scale this down to just the X7 and the Korg if I replace the JP-8000 with a JP-8080. If only Korg had made a module version of the CX-3 I would be down to just one keyboard on stage.

I used to think it was kinda cool (in a nerdy kind of way) to have four keyboards on stage but now that I know how pleasant and comfortable it is to instantly switch sounds using a single pedal my goal has changed to having just one keyboard on stage. I've actually been entertaining the idea of chopping a CX-3 to turn it into a module.

One additional question: do you know if it's possible to transfer JP-8000 patches to a JP-8080 through MIDI patch dump, ie is the JP-8080 backward compatible with the JP-8000 in this regard? Having to do it manually would not be an enjoyable task.