Roland Jp-8000 Noob, need advice.

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
TechnoTranceRM

Roland Jp-8000 Noob, need advice.

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Hello, a few weeks ago i came to this forum for answers on what kind of synth i should purchase. It was between the Roland Gaia and the Roland Di, i wanted to get a new synth to make some great trance music like Chicane, Tiesto, Paul van dyk and all those top ranking fellows. I asked around and got replies telling me I should get a roland Jp-8000. I bought one off of ebay and it came in last wednesday witout a manuel. So my question is, is there any website or youtube video tutorials that can show me how to pick up skills on how to get to know the synth and how to create trance-like sounds.

A few questions are: I found how to switch between patch and performance banks and what i get is that there is and up and a down, they both go up by 10 all the way up to 88 pre-set sounds and patches. Say im on 10 and i need to go to 17 i just click 7 on the number pad below the LCD and im on it. That was easy. The problem im having is that i cant get 1-10 sounds to work because it won't go that low or the sounds from X9-X1 to work all the way up to 88.

It might sounds confusing the way i worded it but this is my first synth, im upgrading from a standard electric casio piano that you can get at your local bestbuy.

If anyone can help me id be much appreciated.

Thankyou.
Leh173

Re: Roland Jp-8000 Noob, need advice.

Post by Leh173 »

The reason there are no 1-10 patches is because of the way patches/performances are numbered on the JP. They're organised into 8 banks of 8. So the lowest patch/performance number is 11 and the highest is 88. For example if you see the patch number 11 it means you are in on Bank 1, Patch 1 . If you see the patch number 21 you are on Bank 2, Patch 1 and so on. The JP has 64 Preset Performances and 128 Preset Patches, preset A and B. It then has 64 User Performances and 128 User Patches, user A and B, where you can write your own sounds. The user area is usually just a copy of the presets when you first get the JP.

Try downloading the manual from here:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?Pro...

The manual will help big time!

You might be able to find some trance patches here

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/JP8000/?v=1&t=sear...

Hope this helps. Enjoy your JP, a MASSIVE step up from a casio keyboard.
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Thanks for the post, i couldn't find the manuel on that website and one question is, how do you switch between user patches A and B. I went through the patches and I thought the guy i bought it from made the patches himself because a few of them were oddly named. For instance one was named "The fat Guy" so i thought this guy named them and created them.
Is there a website thought for synth owners that breaks down noob terms like OSC or what an LFO stands for.

Thankyou
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You bought your JP-8000 from Eric Persing? ;-)

But seriously, "The Fat Guy" is the correct name for one of the original sounds.

Here is another link to the manual:

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/JP-8000_OM.pdf
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Thanks man for the manuel, long ass thing to read but ill skim it and get what i need from it/ I don't know who Eric persing is, i got this from ebay.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Sorry about my link before, thought it was on the manual page! Anyway mate, the manual is great place to start to help you understand how its organised and what all the knobs and sliders do. Then just go nuts and see what happens when you move them around. This style of synthesis is the best to learn from and build sounds because its so hands on. It'll take a bit of time or your behalf, but it'll be worth it, trust me.
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

No problem man, yeah i got the manuel, its like 100 pages! Today i found a DVD on ebay that teaches you how to use The JP-8000. I think ill stick with that because im more of a visual/hands on learner than reading text. Its always nice to have a manuel though.

Anyway i have another question, You see i figure i won't be good at all with making the trancey sounsd im after first few months and the preset sounds on there aren't that great. I looked around the web for Jp-8000 trance patches and i struck gold with two websites. http://www.rb2k1.com/sounddesign.htm
has two volumes of 64 sounds each. One costing 20 and volume 2 costing 40. Im into it but alot of the sounds on their all sounds the same. Im looking for more liquid sounds trance sounds. Some like what chicane, kaskade and Paul van Dyke use. If you guys know another site similar to that one that sells trance patches for jp-8000. Please let me know. Maybe another thing is how i would convert them. I know over MIDI but is there a cetain kind of 3rd party software i use?
Thanks
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Hi TechnoTranceRM,

You bought a fabulous analogue synthesizer.
There is heaps of tricks which you'll be able to do and gain from this wonderful machine.
You'll be surprised how much you can withdraw from its inner elements.
The DVD tutorial is absolutely brilliant. The sound engineer teaches you the advanced basics for the JP-8000, also the JP-8080.

Just to make sure you are going to buy the correct DVD, I've posted an image so you don't go wrong with the purchase.

Here's a link below , for an honest DVD purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-JP-8000-JP-8080-Training-T...

Here's a short You-Tube video visual of what's in the DVD.
The sound engineer is demonstrating for the JP-8080 in this case.
However at the beginning of the DVD, the JP-8000 is first up for learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7carRevxF6Q

regards KRE8A q:?)
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Yeah i got that very same dvd my question is what is the significance of the Jp-8080? I mean whenever i see a video online or read something is always about the two of them together. Is the JP-8080 like a sequencer or just another panel for more options?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

8080 is a rackmount 8000

Some slight differences with the 8080 being newer, 2 more voices polyphony, vocoder, added FX, more presets.

Famous for the supersaw they may be, but neither are Analogue; rather VA, digital analog modeling.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

dbijoux is spot on :)

You can hook up a midi controller to the JP-8080 or you can toggle the Bank / Number buttons instead, to play the sounds. Plug the headphones in and it's ready to play with.

If you like - scroll down and double click on the JP-8080 owners manual in the highlighted link below, to get some insight from this marvelous synth module.

http://www.rolandus.com/support/product_manuals/?group=4