JP8000 - Recreating Jarre's EMINENT 310 sound

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
KonaKurt

JP8000 - Recreating Jarre's EMINENT 310 sound

Post by KonaKurt »

I am trying to use my JP8000 to recreate the famous 'Eminent 310' string sound, as used by Jean Micheal Jarre in both Oxygene and Equinoxe.

Can anyone give me some hints on settings, so that I can recreate this basic string sound manually??
Here is a clip of the famous sound!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkL9osyVv8

Kurt (a huge Jarre fan)
KonaKurt

Re: JP8000 - Recreating Jarre's EMINENT 310 sound

Post by KonaKurt »

I just noticed this superb link, using a D50 to recreate it perfectly! I would also love to know how this was done on the D50!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01g7wdGxkM

Kurt.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

You could try using the patch P:B21 String Machine as a basis for this type of sound. Give it a faster attack and release and put a long delay onto it. The problem you will run into is that the classic Oxygene swooshing string sound depends on the Electro Harmonix Small Stone phaser pedal. There is a phaser preset in the Chorus FX section of the JP-8000 called Deep Phasing Slow but it's too strong and not editable, it doesn't give the smooth sound of the small stone. You could get a Small Stone and run your JP through that and you'll have it. Alternatively, most sequencing packages can recreate this sound, just a simple string synth patch through a slow phaser should do it nicely. I've recreated it with Logic Pro, also Reaktor comes with a synth called "Equinox". You can guess what it does!
KonaKurt

Post by KonaKurt »

Hi Leh :o)

Thanks very much for your advice, I agree that to be really authentic, a Small Stone should be used, and I might consider investing in one later in the year. String Machine is a nice clean string patch, but as you say, is still a long way from the Oxygene sound. The phasers on the JP8000 are either too strong or too fast.

I'm beginningto wonder if I am better to focus on the D50 to create this sound. An exact match is clearly possible using a D50 (see clip above) although I have no idea of exactly how, other than a Small Stone is being used here too. The classic qualities of the D50 sound like they are bringing out the best of the Oxygene sound! By the way, I have tried some of the effects from my V-Synth, but nothing works very well.

I think I will have to invest in a Small Stone.... if they are still available!

Kurt (huge Jarre/Vangelis fan)
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

No worries KonaKurt! I just bought a Small Stone so I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it. I'll pipe the Jp through it and report back!
KonaKurt

Post by KonaKurt »

I have just bought myself a EH Small Stone too! It will be delivered soon.

But I am confused about how to connect it. The Small Stone has one 1/4 mono input and another 1/4 mono output, because it is designed for MONO guitar use. Obviously, synths output a pair of 1/4 jacks for stereo, and I am also feeding into a mixer with a pair of 1/4 jacks, in stereo.

I would ideally like to still keep stereo.

So am I right to say that I cannot intergrate the Small Stone in between the synth and mixer, and still keep stereo? Do I just need two splitter leads (a single 1/4 jack into a PAIR of 1/4 jacks)?? Maybe I need TWO Small Stonesk one per channel??!

How are you connecting your small stone Leh??

A confused KK!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

It's mono KonaKurt and that's just how it is. Jarre get's his sound by putting though delays etc to get the stereo sound, so you should just use it mono and don't worry about splitters, that won't make it stereo, it will still be mono if you do that, just in 2 channels instead of one. When you get it, watch how much volume you pump into from the JP etc, I forgot it was a guitar pedal and put too much into it, if you do that it will distort! The input and outputs a for guitar inputs so watch out for that. I put the String pad from the JP through it and instant Oxygene pads. It's really close! You could just put the left (mono) channel of the JP though it or a mono aux send from your mixer (that's how it setup for me right now, just a little level). It sounds great despite not being stereo. I'm then sending it into my mixers delay FX.