The buttons on my JP-8000 are kind of hard to push

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Hewpiedawg

The buttons on my JP-8000 are kind of hard to push

Post by Hewpiedawg »

I just bought this fun bit of gear, and the only problem with it is these buttons, some of which take a heavy long push to activate (especially the bank 3 button.) Should I be worried that this will soon require some hardware replacement, or will a thorough cleaning inside and out probably fix this. It is kind of dirty inside, it seems.
Arjan

Re: The buttons on my JP-8000 are kind of hard to push

Post by Arjan »

Hewpiedawg wrote:I just bought this fun bit of gear, and the only problem with it is these buttons, some of which take a heavy long push to activate (especially the bank 3 button.) Should I be worried that this will soon require some hardware replacement, or will a thorough cleaning inside and out probably fix this. It is kind of dirty inside, it seems.
The micro switches will probably need to replaced. Don't even think about trying to 'clean' them with stuff like contact cleaner, they are probably semi-sealed but if that goo gets in there it will only make matters worse.

If you're any good with a soldering iron you could in principle do it yourself. I think you need this item:

Roland part number: 13169752
Actual part: EVQ21305R

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/979433 ... 1305r.html