Just got a Jp8000 and having trouble with MIDI side of it

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
TechnoTranceRM

Just got a Jp8000 and having trouble with MIDI side of it

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Hello, a few months ago i came on here asking about what kind of synth i should get to make some Trance and Progressive music and quite a few people suggested the Jp8000. I bought one and played around with it for awhile and then let it sit for 3 or 4 months. I recently got a MIDI to USB cable and plugged it into my Mac Computer because I found a site that sells proffesional sounding Trance Packs. Im not sure how to get the Sound Pack i just bought onto my Synth. My keyboard didn't come with software so im guessing i might have to download a free program. Can anyone help me, im a real beginner with Synths if you can't tell.
Arjan

Re: Just got a Jp8000 and having trouble with MIDI side of i

Post by Arjan »

What format are these 'trance packs' in? You're sure they are meant to be used on the JP-8000? They are not VST plug-ins or sample libraries or something like that? Do you have a link to the website (actual page please) where you got them?

If these really are patches that are meant for use on the JP-8000 they may either be in 'JP-8000' librarian format or they could be in .MID format (a MIDI file containing SysEx MIDI data that will transfer the patches/performances to your JP-8000).

You can find the JP-8000 librarian here:

http://www.jarrelook.co.uk/DownloadsPage/Downloads.html

To play a .MID file you can use any old sequencer that will play .MID file to your PC's MIDI OUT and then into the JP-8000.
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

I just bought a soundpack on this website:
[url]http://www.rb2k1.com/sounddesign.htm/url]
To be more specific I bought the Trance Pack vol 1. Ive messed around with my jp8000 before but I never made any good sounds so i thought this pack would be a good start point. I got a message today from a guy on youtube that had a Jp8000 and he said that the 8000 isn't compatable with mac computers. I have a PC thats being fixed right now but after I get it back I still don't know what im going to do with it. Hopefully you will know what you need to know from the link above.

Thanks
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Hello!

I have both volumes of the rb2k1 series for the Roland JP-8000. In volume two there is a set of instructions with the following mentioned. I didn't see this in volume 1 but it still applies.

H O W T O U S E

P C
_____

To use these presets turn on your jp-8080/8000 and start the program included in the zip (WINJPLIB.EXE).
Click setup then select midi setup. Set your midi up properly then you will be able to load the bank.
Now click File, then open, and open the file included in the zip (rtbv2.pat).
Now click Patch, then Send patches to send the patches into the jp.

Make sure to back up any sounds first. Now enjoy the sounds!

Note: If you have a program such as: http://www.midiox.com/ (free) you can load the .syx file in the mac folder (much easier)!

_______

M A C
_______

To use the presets turn on your jp-8080/8000 and start the program included in the zip (mac - SysExLibrarian.dmg).
Make sure your midi settings are correct then you will be able to load the bank. Open the file (rtbv2.syx). and send that into the jp.

Make sure to back up any sounds first. Now enjoy the sounds!
TechnoTranceRM

Post by TechnoTranceRM »

Alright I got as far as opening up the rtbv1.syx into Sysex Librarian but im stuck on that. There is a play button toward the top left and when i click it is sais "sending message" and counts the files to 128. Then there is 2 blue balls on the top right one with a 1 in the center and under the 1 sais record one and under the empty blue ball sais Record Many. I click those and they say "s "waiting for sySex memory. I waited for atleast 4 minutes but each of them did nothing. Im stuck from there. Any suggestions?

By the way My midi cable has a red light Marked MIDI and then next to that there is a blinking yellow light marked as IN and next to that has a green light not lit up marked as OUT.

Hopefully you know what im talking about and it should be a simple fix. Hopefully..

Thanks

EDIT: Okay, by googling Keywords that when I click Record one and the message saying waiting for sySex memory comes up that I go back to My JP8000 and allow it to go in, only i don't know what to press. My best guess would be around the main panel but ive clicked a few buttons and nothing. I know there might be a shortcut like pressing down write and something else but im not sure.