JP-8000 added to my setup! ? About output level

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
aron

JP-8000 added to my setup! ? About output level

Post by aron »

I think I have the most powerful setup I've ever had for live use.
For the 88 notes, I have my Yamaha S90ES.
61 keys are my Korg Kronos and Kurzweil PC361.
Lead synths - Sequential Pro One, Yamaha VL1 and now JP-8000.

I have a question about the output level. Mine is very, very low for the stereo line outputs. The headphone output is fine and that's what I am using. Is your output level similar to other keyboards or is it much lower?

Thanks!
aron

Re: JP-8000 added to my setup! ? About output level

Post by aron »

No answers? Anyway, I have figured out a mod that can boost the output. It will tap off the headphone output which is plenty loud and then send that to the outputs. This should fix the low volume.
Rigil

Post by Rigil »

I haven't noticed a lower volume from the audio outputs. Although, I only have an old Korg M1 to compare it too. All my other gear is Roland, and about the same output level.

What's the mod, you talk about?
aron

Post by aron »

It involves lifting a couple of inductor ends and then 2 wires. It will be a dramatic boost to the outputs. I'm going to try it today.

This is a very nice synthesizer! Motion control is something I have always wanted.

Aron
Rigil

Post by Rigil »

Plenty of excellent patches can be found on the web. Great to be able to learn a few ideas from others.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I think the factory presets may be a bit quieter, I've found turning up the amp a bit in my patches got more juice out of the JP. Never been much of a issue though. Because of the way the filters are on it, Roland may have programmed it that way as it needs a bit of headroom when doing huge filter sweeps by hand! Great synth though. One of my all time faves. So hands on.
aron

Post by aron »

The output on mine is very low. I made this mod and it sounds great!!!! I am very happy with this board now!

For anyone that has this problem (assuming the headphone output is great):

JP-8000 Output Volume Boost Mod
aron

Post by aron »

It is also possible that maybe something is wrong with my unit. I cannot see how the level could be so low from the line outs.
Rigil

Post by Rigil »

Thanks for the link.

Looking at that circuit diagram, it appears that the headphone output goes through an additional amplifier chip. I guess that is why there is more volume.

Maybe a headphone splitter cable, with some 1/4 adapters would save any soldering onto the circuit board. For anyone who doesn't have those skills.
aron

Post by aron »

Yes, a Y cable from the headphone out would work fine!

Aron
jinxpk

Post by jinxpk »

I'm a little confused as to the difference between the headphone out and the line outs:
If you record from the headphone jack (which is exactly what this mod is doing), are you sacrificing any aspect of audio quality? All signs point to no, but then why would roland make the line outs so low?

From a test that I just ran, it seems the headphone out is higher "Quality" anyway:
I recorded a saw wave with exactly the same settings from first the line out, then the headphone out. After normalizing them so they have the same peak volume, and then analyzing just the noise on each file, I discovered the headphone out has a 4 db lower noise level (and seems to be a more pleasant kind of noise anyway).

So, it seems it's just better to record from the headphone jack.
Does anyone know if there is another aspect of the sound that is being degraded when recording from the headphone out? What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

Headphone outputs are always louder than the main outputs on any synthesizer. The reason for this is that the main output volume is optimized for plugging into amplifiers and mixers to avoid the sound being clipped or distorted. While you can easily just record from the headphone outputs, you run the risk of the sound being a bit too "hot" and hitting the reds. Headphone speakers are generally designed to handle a hotter signal.
jinxpk

Post by jinxpk »

Thanks... so pretty much, if i can record from headphone out with a lower noise floor (3db lower than what I get from the line outs and boosting the gain in my daw) there is no disadvantage to that?
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

The only disadvantages I see happening from recording with the headphone jack...

1. Unless you have a proper audio splitter, it will be in mono.
2. The recording device you are using might end up hitting the reds and clip the sound if it's too loud.
3. If you try to add other instruments or vocals to the recording, they might end up sounding too quiet by comparison.