I think the JP-8000 is way more fun than the Jupiter 80

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
aron

I think the JP-8000 is way more fun than the Jupiter 80

Post by aron »

I don't know if the JP-8000 was a hit but the instrument I have here is so much more fun and cool than the new Jupiter 80. The Jupiter 80 has polyphony and is better machined, but this JP-8000 is so much more of what a VA should be. Roland just kicked some serious you know what with this instrument. The controls, the tones, the motion control. It's just killer.

Feel free to disagree. :-)
Rigil

Re: I think the JP-8000 is way more fun than the Jupiter 80

Post by Rigil »

I got into playing around with va synths, because I bought a Gaia sh-01 for a musical project. Because it is so easy to use, I started to understand how to quickly program the type of sounds that I wanted.
Celtic ambient stuff, requiring lush pads.

I become hooked and then bought a Jp8000 from ebay for quite a bit less.
Never regretted it one bit. Both synths are very 'hands on' and it's so easy to get good sounds.

I really like the Jupiter 80 and think it will do a lot more than I currently need. But maybe in a few years time, with more time and savings, I might like to try one.

I don't gig with keyboards, but if I did, the Jupiter 80 would be a good choice as an all round sound-source.
aron

Post by aron »

Yes, the Jupiter 80 of course is a better stage keyboard, but it is lacking when it comes to the physical controls and things like motion control. It is a lot more boring for va synthesis than the JP.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Can't really compare the two sound wise as I haven't played the JP-80 yet, but the JP-8000 is one of my favourite synths of all time! The hands on factor really makes it. Always inspiring to play as you can change the sounds as you play as part of your performance. I love it! It has a great sound and is fun to play. Just wish it had more polyphony and some more FX, but there isn't a real lot to complain about! Why Roland didn't put more realtime controllers on the new Jupiter is a bit of mystery.
aron

Post by aron »

The thing I love about the JP is that it sounds like a synth. A good synth too! I wish it had more MIDI controller mapping, but it's a great synth. The ribbon mapping, RPS, motion control are things I always wanted.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

I completely agree with Aron regarding the JP-8000. I am not dissing the new J80, but, when the JP-8000 was released it was a top of the line VA and it still sounds great today. There really is no such thing as obsolescence unless you allow yourself to believe it exists.

BTW, if you ARE an owner of a JP-8000, Aron has found a way to increase the output of the main outs. He's a nice guy and I would wager he would offer his solution to anyone asking.

Ahimsa,
Vlad