JP-8000 Sticky keys

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Ricoche

JP-8000 Sticky keys

Post by Ricoche »

Just curious if anyone has had any troubles with sticky keys? I've fixed quite a few other keyboards with sticky keys, but this is the first time with the Roland JP-8000. I'm wondering if this could be a new problem as this synth ages more. Not a problem to fix as bad or dirty grease is likely the problem. I just didn't think the JP-8000 would have this issue.
Ricoche

Re: JP-8000 Sticky keys

Post by Ricoche »

Fixed the problem. Good to go now.
signalx

Post by signalx »

How did you fixed it?
I have some sticky notes on my JP-8000.
I couldn't find inside the keyboard what makes it sticky.

Thanks
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

The sticky keys actually have nothing to do with the grease. It's the springs. The springs lose tension over time and do not lift the key back into shape. You simply have to remove the key and pull the springs to lengthen them a bit. This increases the tension and everything will work great again. You can clean up and replace the grease with fresh amounts which I did as well. However, it's the spring tension that is the culprit. This is why after cleaning the grease the problem continues. Nobody thinks to check the spring tension. Hope this helps.
sicijk

Post by sicijk »

Hello and thanks for your insight!

One question: is it the same problem if the button seems to do not actually "press" ?
On my unit, some buttons tend to do not execute the pressing and I have to press harder them in order to have a LED to be lit/unlit etc...

If this my case has to do with grease....can you please recommend me one ?

Thank you very much in advance!
GiGi
d^_^b
signalx

Post by signalx »

Well after investigating the problem, I finally found what makes the key to sticky.
Under every key, close to the front, there is a small black rectangle plastic that comes from the bottom.
When pressing a white key, the underneath of the key is surrounding the black rectangle.
My guess is that over the years the plastic of the keys is shrink a little bit which can cause the problem.

By peeling off half millimeter of this rectangle will let the key moves again as it should.
I had lots of sticky keys, especially A B G & F, I did the above and it's great now.
Once I have a chance to open my JP-8000 again, I'll take some pics and video.
Vladistone

Post by Vladistone »

the one who recommends and tries to stretch the springs under the keys is mistaken and makes nonsense, as this affects the force / elasticity of the resistance of the keys! you won't be able to stretch evenly and I doubt you're using a dynamometer for this kind of task! and thus you will ruin the keyboard in this way (those who own the instrument at least above average and have the qualifications of a piano-player will immediately notice and will treat such a keyboard as a marriage with an uneven response from the keys)
The reasons for "sticky keyboard" is several:
- aging, degradation of the lubricant, which becomes like "plasticine" for children's stucco work ...
- excessive presence of this lubrication under the black stop in the middle of the key, which can get not only along the sliding of the key along the stop, but also upwards between the bottom of the keyboard = which ultimately leads to a random sticking effect due to an increase in tearing force from stuck together surfaces (like creating a vacuum like in a medical syringe or a hand pump for a bicycle in which the needle is clogged)
- well, the generative effect gives dust and dirt that has accumulated under the keyboard for several decades - even a small hair or thread adhering to sliding surfaces gives a reinforcing effect for such a lubricant.
I also noticed that the entire metal surface of the attachment of the JP-8000 keyboard is also lubricated and, in combination with the dust that has fallen on this surface, leads to such contamination (like a sloppy housewife in the kitchen - everything is in grease and dirt from cooking and the lack of cleaning body fat) - all this is not the fault of the owner. but most likely - the old practice of abundant lubrication of the manufacturer's surfaces, when the technology of the synthesizer keyboard of the 80-90s was still honed;
Based on the foregoing, mechanical cleaning of the old grease from rubbing parts and the entire surface under the keyboard is required (I spent almost a pack of paper napkins for this with 100% dismantling of all keys - see photo). after which it was necessary to wash off all the keys from the lubricant in the foam solution and the slurry from the undissolved dirt, followed by drying the paste during the day)
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.27.jpeg (262.6 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.27 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.27 (1).jpeg (330.94 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.26.jpeg (208.33 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.26 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.26 (1).jpeg (221.04 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.25.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-21 at 21.45.25.jpeg (243.64 KiB) Viewed 1090 times