JP8000 ribbon controller problem

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's

JP8000 ribbon controller problem

Postby Fast Zee » 09:09, 7 April 2017

Hello

Following battery replacement in my JP8000, I have re-calibrated the pitch bend and ribbon controller as this is generally required. Pitch bend works OK but the ribbon controller is giving me problems. I have reset factory settings and the issue remains.
From the test mode, when calibrating the ribbon controller, you would calibrate the left end, followed by the right, then the middle. However, it should be "off" when you start the calibration but the display is showing a value even when I'm not pressing the ribbon. Anyone experienced this before; any ideas whether this is a hardware or something I need to do? Any thoughts on how to resolve please?
The problem is that when playing, the ribbon is permanently set to its "left" value and as on many patches the ribbon applies a filter, loads of my sounds are massively filtered, lacking presence, volume and brightness.

Many thanks
Nick Z
Fast Zee

Re: JP8000 ribbon controller problem

Postby BlackRyder » 01:42, 20 July 2017

Did you try cleaning it? The ribbon controller on mine was acting super wonky until I cleaned off the accumulated years of finger oils grease and dirt. They are super easy to switch out, too, so if that doesn't take care of it just order a new one (you can find them online for cheap).
BlackRyder

Re: JP8000 ribbon controller problem

Postby RickJP909 » 15:53, 12 August 2017

BlackRyder wrote:Did you try cleaning it? The ribbon controller on mine was acting super wonky until I cleaned off the accumulated years of finger oils grease and dirt. They are super easy to switch out, too, so if that doesn't take care of it just order a new one (you can find them online for cheap).

Hi, what did you clean it with? Also where have you seen them being sold because Roland are no longer supplying this part which is annoying!!!

The only place I've seen them for sale is here but at a rip-off price because this part was sold at only £15 direct from Roland UK.

http://syntaur.com/Items.asp?Item=3308
RickJP909

Return to JP-8000/8080