midi being sent when no key depressed? + volume issue

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Sir_Ricardo

midi being sent when no key depressed? + volume issue

Post by Sir_Ricardo »

Greetings -

I just got a JP-8000 (yesterday), and it's a great-sounding synth, that is for sure.

Mine appears to have 3 issues, however.

1) lower volume from the main outs than from the headphone out.

2) 'blipping' sounds when a key is depressed on a patch or performance.

3) midi 'blips' being transmitted when no key is depressed.

Issues #2 and #3 are related, I think. I can see, in my DAW, fairly random midi signals (no sound) being transmitted from the JP-8000. They look like 'blips', for lack of a better word. Several blips each second, there are a lot of them. There should be no midi whatsoever, since I'm not playing anything. Then, if I play a note (pretty much any note), it 'blips' or 'quavers' in a very annoying way, in a way that is synchronized with the midi signal blips.

Any thoughts about that?

Then, the volume issue. I've googled around, and it seems many JP-8000 owners have extremely low volume output. My headphone volume is fine, but the main outs have low volume. I'd need to use the headphone out for recording.

Any thoughts?

Here is what I've done so far.
> I've reinstalled the OS 1.05
> I've reset the factory presets
> I've completed the Roland JP-8000 onboard diagnostics (no issues revealed)
> I've let the synth stay on for a while, hoping it might 'right' itself. Yesterday, I thought the blipping issue was getting much better, but today it's worse than yesterday.

Thanks for your comments -

Richard
udream

Re: midi being sent when no key depressed? + volume issue

Post by udream »

Spontaneous midi blips don't sound good. Do the blip sounds occur when played via midi using a master keyboard controller and the JP8K as a slave? That might rule out the keyboard contacts if the blips still occur.
I had a problem with a JP8K that I purchased recently. Seller said everything worked fine. Yeah, right. There were a host of problems. The sound was real low in volume, and would cut out intermittently. I located the problem to the Amp volume pot (upper right corner). It failed the diagnostic A/D test. I had it replaced, and solved that problem, but then the overall volume still seemed low. In that case, I suspected the main volume pot down near the keybed. I removed the knob and felt ring, and sprayed a little Deoxit 5 on the pot and twisted it back and forth several times to remove oxidation. The volume was noticeably improved.
Still haven't figured out why the ribbon controller "relative" and "hold" button don't function, even though they pass the diagnostic tests.
I've used Deoxit 5 on a number of electronic devices. It can resurrect apparently dead gear back to life. It's worth trying on a slider or pot you suspect might be the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my ribbon button problem. (For that I removed the circuitboard and sprayed directly on the button switch.) The pots have tiny holes that allow the Deoxit to penetrate. No need to open up the synth.