Roland JP-8080 how to do Sysex transfers to the unit?

Forum for JP-8000/8080 synthesizers from 1990's
Devonb

Roland JP-8080 how to do Sysex transfers to the unit?

Post by Devonb »

Been trying to do a sysex dump to my JP-8080 for awhile with no success with MIDI OX. I can dump from MIDI Ox to a number of other synths in my system right now, and have been using OX for over a decade no problem. I've tried Bome's SendSX which has helped me work around 'problematic' synths in the past (Casio VZ10m I could never get to work unless it was with this program) I am connected to the MIDI IN port on the JP8080 which is required for Sysex dumps. Rx Exclusive SW is set to On in the synth. I can even get the Mystery Island plugin demo to communicate and load in individual patches into the synth. I've got a good quality MIDI interface (MOTU MIDI Express XT) So why won't it accept sysex dumps into the User bank? I'm not seeing anything in the manual that I'm missing so far. I've looked far and wide with Google for an answer. I have turned up no answer to this question. Only one answer pointed to a video on Youtube which has since been deleted. Any tips from anyone of what I might be doing wrong? There have been several vendor selling patches, but I hesitate to purchase any of them if I can't get the sysex dump to even work.

Devon
ramoore44

Re: Roland JP-8080 how to do Sysex transfers to the unit?

Post by ramoore44 »

5 years later and still no answer... It figures.
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

What I would do first is make sure the JP-8080 is transmitting a sysex bulk dump and then try sending the dump back to the JP-8080.
devonrose

Post by devonrose »

Devonb wrote: 16:51, 20 November 2018 Been trying to do a sysex dump to my JP-8080 for awhile with no success with MIDI OX. I can dump from MIDI Ox to a number of other synths in my system right now, and have been using OX for over a decade no problem. I've tried Bome's SendSX which has helped me work around 'problematic' synths in the past (Casio VZ10m I could never get to work unless it was with this program) I am connected to the MIDI IN port on the JP8080 which is required for Sysex dumps. Rx Exclusive SW is set to On in the synth. I can even get the Mystery Island plugin demo to communicate and load in individual patches into the synth. I've got a good quality MIDI interface (MOTU MIDI Express XT) So why won't it accept sysex dumps into the User bank? I'm not seeing anything in the manual that I'm missing so far. I've looked far and wide with Google for an answer. I have turned up no answer to this question. Only one answer pointed to a video on Youtube which has since been deleted. Any tips from anyone of what I might be doing wrong? There have been several vendor selling patches, but I hesitate to purchase any of them if I can't get the sysex dump to even work.

Devon
Actually, the MOTU MIDI Express XT is known to corrupt sysex data...

I would try the process again withouth the problematic MOTU unit.