iPad editor issue

Forum for JUPITER-50
Jan7Geerts

iPad editor issue

Post by Jan7Geerts »

Hi,

new JP50 user. I'd like to use it with my iPad (1), but when I connect it, it says that the usb apparatus is not compatible. I've updated the jp50 to 1.10

What else do I need to do?

best

Jan
tnicoson

Re: iPad editor issue

Post by tnicoson »

Jan

The iPad JP-50 Editor requires iOS-5.1 or later on the iPad. Make sure your iPad's OS is up to date.
Jan7Geerts

Post by Jan7Geerts »

found it, I had to switch the usb driver in the JP50. Thanks

BTW: this is one great sounding synth. Presets are not that great, except for those in the Synth Legend set, but they still need some tweaking.
But starting from scratch, I've already got some of my fave Numanesque sounds, and with the layering and fx, it just gets huge.
I was miffed about the use of the Jupiter name at first too, but I'm glad I have a very good analoguish sounding synth, with the layering and fx, good acoustic sounds and portable.
What could be better: more controllers, just four sliders instead of the d-beam for instance. This could be solved in an update for the iPad editor, for instance: and amp A(DS)R for a live set.

All in all, a great sounding, portable (I've got two hernia's, so that's a major factor for me) synth, that'll serve me very well on rehearsals and gigs.

Jan
Jan7Geerts

Post by Jan7Geerts »

aha, another issue:

I programmed a mono lead sound from an init tone with the ipad editor, and the amp adsr wouldn't work. I disconnected the ipad, rebooted the JP, and even within the JP, the amp adsr won't work. I can change the data, but there's no change in sound.

Any ideas?

best

Jan
Mahob

Post by Mahob »

Jan7, hello, I am new in the forum and in the jp 50 world. Very happy with it!
I was wondering if you could help me solve an issue with the ipad editor. I was not able to connect, and I am permanently receiving a message saying the device is not compatible. I updated ipad os(did not run with 5.1 and does not in 6.1.3 neither). As you were saying in this post you had a similar problem I would really appreciate if you could tell me what you did.
Thanks in advance.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Mahob

I have a Jupiter-50 and have been using the iPad Editor with it right from the start with no problems. In order to connect the JP-50 to the iPad, you need the iPad CAMERA CONNECTOR KIT so you can connect it to the USB COMPUTER port on the BACK of the JP-50. If you are trying to use the USB cable that came with your iPad to connect it to the USB flash drive port on the front panel, that will not work. You probably already know this, but I mention it anyway, as I have helped a couple of JP-50 owners that were confused about it. By the fact that you are getting the "Not compatible" message, I am guessing that your answer is in the next paragraph.

The iPad connection does not require any special "drivers" to be loaded. The JP's OS and the iPad's OS both have the necessary drivers already built-in. They are what Apple calls "CORE MIDI COMPLIANT". Drivers DO need to be loaded to connect the JP to your Windows PC or MAC, but that has nothing to do with the iPad connection. However, you do need to tell the JP-50 whether to use its built-in (iPAD) driver or the PC/MAC driver. Go to Page 80 of your user's manual, and in Step 4 under 'USB DRIVER" select "GENERIC" and reboot the JP-50 after you do a "WRITE". Remember, if you want the JP-50 to connect to your PC DAW software and transfer both MIDI and AUDIO, you will need to come back to this step and select "VENDER".

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Mahob

Post by Mahob »

Ted,

THANK YOU! Your answer was absolutely great. Indeed, the second paragraph was the answer I needed.
It is unbelievable how useful internet could be, but at the end of the day, it depends on people. Thanks for your time, not even knowing me at all.
I have to say I am really happy with the jup. I am thinking about writing my story with it. I have read so many emails attacking this keyboard, that I would really like to "help" others who are doubting about it. Besides what I plan to write, I will say now that this keyboard has something that has to be with an emotional connection. It didn't happen to me before. Keyboards are not guitars, keyboards are somehow "cold" instruments. However, this one has something that invites you to create, once you understood it. It didn't happen to me with Kronos. I believe that nobody who did not spend at least three full days with this keyboard has the right to talk about it. It is the type of instrument that you will not understand only by playing one hour or two in a store. Even more, I think it is much simpler than any other keyboard I had in terms of arquitechture. It could be complex if you prefer, though.
Regarding sounds,I did not find one single bank in Kronos that I like more than the JP. Maybe it is me, but I feel that playing a JP is playing an instrument. I see it with me in ten years. Kronos made me feel I was in front of a computer with keys. It did not feel like an instrument, but something that coukd brake anytime. Keybed on 61 version is the worst I have seen so far in any of this instrument. Much cheaper keyboards like junos have much better keybed than Kronos, which is a shame. Jp has exactly the same keybed as my xp 60, or at least it is how it feels.
I don't want to open polemics. This is, just my sensation. Judging JP by it's multitimbrality or lack of sequencer is not having played it. And yes, all the snobs out there will pray to have one in ten years, when they understand what they missed.
If instead of an Ipad Roland had sold these JPs with a joint to smoke the first time you use it, there would not be anything else than these out there.
My advice: relax and enjoy creating thousands of songs and sounds in a couple of minutes. That is what this keyboard is, and that is what music is about.
Regards, and thanks again.
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Hi all - i am a new JP owner too - now i have the same problem, i cannot use the iPad app. First, i use the correct usp port on JP and i use the apple camera connector. My ipad4 always say to me - he cannot use this usb hardware.
Is it possible, that the usb cable is a wrong one? I think it is an old one. It works with may nord stage ex and windows laptop.

Nordi
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Nordi

from above:
by tnicoson » 05:59, 20 May 2013: The iPad connection does not require any special "drivers" to be loaded. The JP's OS and the iPad's OS both have the necessary drivers already built-in. They are what Apple calls "CORE MIDI COMPLIANT". Drivers DO need to be loaded to connect the JP to your Windows PC or MAC, but that has nothing to do with the iPad connection. However, you do need to tell the JP-50 whether to use its built-in (iPAD) driver or the PC/MAC driver. Go to Page 80 of your user's manual, and in Step 4 under 'USB DRIVER" select "GENERIC" and reboot the JP-50 after you do a "WRITE". Remember, if you want the JP-50 to connect to your PC DAW software and transfer both MIDI and AUDIO, you will need to come back to this step and select "VENDER".
Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Thats it!! Thanks a lot