JUPITER 50 - using external sequencer clarification required

Forum for JUPITER-50
posadka

JUPITER 50 - using external sequencer clarification required

Post by posadka »

I own Roland G-70, excellent keyboard but wanted to go to a lighter 76 keyboard. I will never look at any 73 keys because I need those 3 on the top. 73 keys is "cutting corners". First I was refusing Jupiter 50 for about a year because it doesn't have the aftertouch. Then I came with an idea that replacing aftertouch with a pedal should do the job, well "maybe". So, I bought J-50 with the option that I can return it within 30 days for refund.
I use G-70 with Logic 5.2 for creating my songs, 16 track of course. If I would switch to J-50 I would need keyboard doing the same thing. I still can't believe that a keyboard described as "professional" has no 16 tracks playing at the same time.
Please would you be able to answer my question? How many tracks of J-50 I can control from my Logic software at the same time. Is it really just 4 or am I missing something? I spent 20 hours so far without any success.

Thanks, Danny.
PauloF

Re: JUPITER 50 - using external sequencer clarification requ

Post by PauloF »

posadka wrote:I own Roland G-70, excellent keyboard but wanted to go to a lighter 76 keyboard. I will never look at any 73 keys because I need those 3 on the top. 73 keys is "cutting corners". First I was refusing Jupiter 50 for about a year because it doesn't have the aftertouch. Then I came with an idea that replacing aftertouch with a pedal should do the job, well "maybe". So, I bought J-50 with the option that I can return it within 30 days for refund.
I use G-70 with Logic 5.2 for creating my songs, 16 track of course. If I would switch to J-50 I would need keyboard doing the same thing. I still can't believe that a keyboard described as "professional" has no 16 tracks playing at the same time.
Please would you be able to answer my question? How many tracks of J-50 I can control from my Logic software at the same time. Is it really just 4 or am I missing something? I spent 20 hours so far without any success.

Thanks, Danny.
You're right, the JP-50 is not a 16 Part Multitimbral Synth like the G-70, the Fantoms, the Junos, etc.

The JP-50 has only 3 "Parts" (Upper, Solo, Percussion/Lower)
However it has massive Layering options with 128 Registrations (including pre-loaded registrations), 2560 Live Sets (including pre-loaded live sets).
It's more a Performance oriented synth than a standard MIDI Module
posadka

Post by posadka »

Thank you very much for your quick reply. When I look at the Roland J-50 massive MIDI Implementation Chart I think they are wasting time to put this all together. You mentioned massive layering. I realize that the sound potential of this keyboard is great however if I can't use it 16 track for creating my music I have to look elsewhere although not much to choose from. I think I will continue to strain my back with G-70.
Thanks, Danny.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

posadka wrote:Thank you very much for your quick reply. When I look at the Roland J-50 massive MIDI Implementation Chart I think they are wasting time to put this all together. You mentioned massive layering. I realize that the sound potential of this keyboard is great however if I can't use it 16 track for creating my music I have to look elsewhere although not much to choose from. I think I will continue to strain my back with G-70.
Thanks, Danny.
No...wait...maybe I did not explain myself clearly.

What I wanted to say is that the JP-50 has no 16 Parts but only a very powerful 3 Parts, but that does not mean you can't create your music with it using a DAW (like Logic).

In fact you can't Play 16 MIDI tracks into the JP-50 at the same time, the limitation being 3 simultaneous MIDI tracks.
But you can always record as many tracks as you want as MIDI Data, and then transform them into Audio as you go (you can always change them after, if you are not happy with the result), provided the max number of tracks being sent to the JP-50 could not be more than 3 at a time.

On the other hand, driving 16 MIDI tracks into a Synth at the same time could create a Polyphony issue, depending on the complexity of each of the 16 voices being driven...
posadka

Post by posadka »

Hi, Thanks again for your reply. I understand your description of possibilities however this is not exactly for my type of work. When I am creating big band arrangement for example I want to hear it all at the same time for balance of each instrument etc. I am using Alesis DM-Pro for drums, sometimes G-70 drums as well, I use Rockabilly Bass from G-70 most of the time or Yamaha TX7. I did not find any bass on J-50 even close to Rockabilly. Choirs and Voices on J-50 are practically non existent. I use Ketron SD2 module for brass and horns and the rest goes from G-70. Being left with 3 tracks from J-50 at one time is simply not enough. I have already packed J-50 in the box for return on Monday.
Thank you very much anyway. Danny, Calgary, Canada.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

posadka wrote:Hi, Thanks again for your reply. I understand your description of possibilities however this is not exactly for my type of work. When I am creating big band arrangement for example I want to hear it all at the same time for balance of each instrument etc. I am using Alesis DM-Pro for drums, sometimes G-70 drums as well, I use Rockabilly Bass from G-70 most of the time or Yamaha TX7. I did not find any bass on J-50 even close to Rockabilly. Choirs and Voices on J-50 are practically non existent. I use Ketron SD2 module for brass and horns and the rest goes from G-70. Being left with 3 tracks from J-50 at one time is simply not enough. I have already packed J-50 in the box for return on Monday.
Thank you very much anyway. Danny, Calgary, Canada.
I hear you!
;-)
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

When you consider that the Lower and Solo parts on the J-50 are only single tones, and not Live Sets, and that they have very, very limited flexibility with regard to effects, this can be even more disappointing. Working in a MIDI sequencing environment is not a strength of the J-50, or even the J-80.

The Jupiter synths are great for straight ahead playing, with one sound at a time, layered sounds, or several sounds split across different parts of the keyboard. Of course your typical workstation keyboard can do these things as well, along with 16-part multi-timbral capability.
therealvicz

Post by therealvicz »

You'd be better off with an Integra-7 for use as a sound module
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

therealvicz wrote:You'd be better off with an Integra-7 for use as a sound module
Fully agree !

It's what I have ;-)
troggg

Post by troggg »

Fortunately MIDI is part of, not all of, my recording process, so I don't mind converting MIDI to audio in a PC DAW.

It would be great if anyone who does use the 50 as a master keyboard could offer some advice on the "More Newb Questions" thread that was started right around the time this one was. I just need to understand what it is that the 50 can do MIDI-wise, not what it can't.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

troggg wrote:Fortunately MIDI is part of, not all of, my recording process, so I don't mind converting MIDI to audio in a PC DAW.

It would be great if anyone who does use the 50 as a master keyboard could offer some advice on the "More Newb Questions" thread that was started right around the time this one was. I just need to understand what it is that the 50 can do MIDI-wise, not what it can't.
I think the following Tables (from Owners Manual, page 77) can summarize what the JP-50 can actually do regarding MIDI control: (4 Part Multitimbral)
Attachments
JP-50_MIDI2.jpg
JP-50_MIDI2.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
JP-50_MIDI1.jpg
JP-50_MIDI1.jpg (84.9 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
troggg

Post by troggg »

Thanks for pinpointing that section of the manual. I appreciate it.