Newb question: where's the sitar?

Forum for JUPITER-50
PauloF

Re: Newb question: where's the sitar?

Post by PauloF »

troggg wrote:...
I don't want to get condescending but I think mature adults get the most out of what they have and don't worry about what they don't have. If people on Gearslutz wanna rag on this beautiful board for what it's not, that's their problem.
Glad to see another happy JP user!

I couldn't agree more with what you just said!

Enjoy your JP-50!

Cheers, from a VERY HAPPY integra-7 user ;-)
Paulo
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Richmosar wrote:Thanks troggg and Vlad. I purchased it from a seller from eBay and should receive it in a couple of days. Surprisingly very few bidders and even the reserves weren't met!

I'm most worried about the organ patches tho, but if worse comes to worst, I can midi my vk8m module and have that module cover organ stuff. Also I really liked the key bed, even for piano, so I may wind up possibly ditching my yamaha p85 piano and instead use the JP as my lower keyboard with possibly a new VR09 as my top keyboard.

Hopefully I'll be very happy and won't want to sell it anytime soon, but if I do, it comforting to know I can flip it for the same price or maybe even a bit more!
Glad you made the plunge. I think you will REALLY like the Jupiter. And you have a great solution if you find the organs lacking in the VK8M module.

The acoustic pianos are beautiful and I find them to be almost as good as Kronos, such that if I need a specific patch on Kronos but also want a great piano, I have it in the Jupiter.

The only gripe about Jupiter - and Kronos - are the stock electric guitars; they are simply weak. I guess that's why I keep my Motif ES. But that said, I think that if you give the Jupiter some quality time, you'll find that no amount of money will induce you to part with it - and this is coming from a person who was dissing the Jupiters when they were released in 2011 (80) and 2012 (50). I was wrong about these instruments and as Cello might say "I finally 'got it.'"

Best,
Vlad
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Vlad_77 wrote:
Richmosar wrote:Thanks troggg and Vlad. I purchased it from a seller from eBay and should receive it in a couple of days. Surprisingly very few bidders and even the reserves weren't met!

I'm most worried about the organ patches tho, but if worse comes to worst, I can midi my vk8m module and have that module cover organ stuff. Also I really liked the key bed, even for piano, so I may wind up possibly ditching my yamaha p85 piano and instead use the JP as my lower keyboard with possibly a new VR09 as my top keyboard.

Hopefully I'll be very happy and won't want to sell it anytime soon, but if I do, it comforting to know I can flip it for the same price or maybe even a bit more!
Glad you made the plunge. I think you will REALLY like the Jupiter. And you have a great solution if you find the organs lacking in the VK8M module.

The acoustic pianos are beautiful and I find them to be almost as good as Kronos, such that if I need a specific patch on Kronos but also want a great piano, I have it in the Jupiter.

The only gripe about Jupiter - and Kronos - are the stock electric guitars; they are simply weak. I guess that's why I keep my Motif ES. But that said, I think that if you give the Jupiter some quality time, you'll find that no amount of money will induce you to part with it - and this is coming from a person who was dissing the Jupiters when they were released in 2011 (80) and 2012 (50). I was wrong about these instruments and as Cello might say "I finally 'got it.'"

Best,
Vlad
And I should add that "you saw the Light!" ;-)

Regarding the guitars, I think you're right and having an integra, I use to layer SN tones or SN and PCM tones together in order to get the desired sound! It required a lot of time tweaking, but It has worth the effort.

Cheers,
Paulo
troggg

Post by troggg »

It's true I haven't heard any great onboard guitars other than a flamenco guitar but as the fates would have it I'm a guitar player and although everything's not perfect on our planet, Scuffham [http://www.scuffhamamps.com/] only costs $100. It doesn't have knobs either but also sounds fantastic anyway.

So although it's valid criticism the guitars are not the strong suit it's yet another compromise I have no problem living with at the 50's present price point.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Getting deeper into the belly of the beast and learning my way around.

I think by far the most confusing thing is the unfortunate choice of the term "Live Set" for what used to be called "patches" back in the day.

It's confusing because obviously a live set is what a band or solo performer plays at a gig, a collection of songs forming the set.

Using the same term for a patch is just plain wrong.

The choice of the term "Registration" is almost as bad. That's another term that means six different things. You just can't get a visual on it.

Did I mention I'm a tech writer?

What we have is a great synth with godawful nomenclature.

Undeterred, the exploration continues ...