Selecting the sounds...!

Forum for JUPITER-50
GuyM

Selecting the sounds...!

Post by GuyM »

Probably a silly question and somewhere in the manual but I cannot seem to find it

1. If you look up a SOUND in the SOUNDS LIST (I was looking for a SITAR sound today to create in a live set )...and you find it in the list and note that it is sound 1501 for example...is there a way of simply entering the number into the Upper slots in the REG or LIVE SET without having to scroll through all the numbers?

2. The numbering seems to jump around all over the place if you use the WHEEL to scroll through them all instead of it being nice and incremental 001----XXXX ??

Ta
Guy
GuyM

Re: Selecting the sounds...!

Post by GuyM »

According to Roland Support not much to help unless I use the Free iPad JP Synth Editor App
This will allow me to choose sounds in the UPPER, LOWER etc quicker and create new LIVE SETS, REGs

Need to see if I can get it working with my iStudio Dock though!

G
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

I am getting fed up with apps / gear that do not go together happilly...

Got the Roland JP Synth editor App for my iPad , BUT it will not work from my docking iStudio as it needs the Camera connection kit to talk via USB to the J50 and NOT just MIDI in/out (which the iStudio can in fact do)

The included USB MIDI Socket on the iStudio will only converse with the DAW /PC not the J50

So, I now have to buy a Camera connection kit to be able to edit the patches (via the iPad app) on the J50 to then put the iPad into the iStudio so as to use SetLIstMaker and send MIDI Presets/Pgm changes to it during live songs, but which cannot control the other iPad app used live (the drum machine - DM1) because that does NOT accept MIDI program changes (So i will have to toggle back & forth between SetlIstmaker and the DM1 for each song) !!

Bloody hell.........
Macska

Post by Macska »

I haven't used the JP iPad editor too much yet, but I'll check for you and report tomorrow. I don't think you can choose/scroll through Acoustic instruments with it, just edit synth.
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

that's quite right ...you cannot edit the Supernatural Sounds only the synth tones
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

GuyM wrote:I am getting fed up with apps / gear that do not go together happilly...

Got the Roland JP Synth editor App for my iPad , BUT it will not work from my docking iStudio as it needs the Camera connection kit to talk via USB to the J50 and NOT just MIDI in/out (which the iStudio can in fact do)

The included USB MIDI Socket on the iStudio will only converse with the DAW /PC not the J50

So, I now have to buy a Camera connection kit to be able to edit the patches (via the iPad app) on the J50 to then put the iPad into the iStudio so as to use SetLIstMaker and send MIDI Presets/Pgm changes to it during live songs, but which cannot control the other iPad app used live (the drum machine - DM1) because that does NOT accept MIDI program changes (So i will have to toggle back & forth between SetlIstmaker and the DM1 for each song) !!

Bloody hell.........
I have the iO-Dock and had the same problem, which I circumvented using the integra wireless interface
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Sounds intriguing...how does the Wireless work with the IoDock...I maybe able to do the same with iStudio?
G
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

GuyM wrote:Sounds intriguing...how does the Wireless work with the IoDock...I maybe able to do the same with iStudio?
G
It should be exactly the same as with the iO-Dock

I'm using the iO-Dock to access a few soft synths like the Arturia iMini, Korg iPolySix and iMS-20, Addictive, Sunrizer, Amimoog, Akay iMPC and SynthStation, Alchemy, etc, all being accessed via the iO-Dock's 5-Pin MIDI interface, together with the integra-7 Editor via the Wireless Ad-Hoq connection, and all works perfectly.
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Great, think I'll order one to be able to EDIT the J50 whilst it is docked !~
Thank you
Guy
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I don't have the JP50 but I do have the wireless adapter on my Juno-Di and it works great!! I loaded the air recorder to my iPhone and iPad and they both work great with NO WIRES! I'm sure it would work with your IO Dock. I'll ask my friend that uses one if I can borrow and try it out.

Give me a few months and I'll have the JP50 to test it on! :)
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

my wireless thingee has not arrived yet, but can tell you that my iPad set up running SetlistMaker is working very well:
For each 'song' you set up /can create a series of 1...* MIDI PRESETS (Pre configured MIDI Messages/Change 'Patches' transmitting to multiple MIDI Channels)

The PRESET config has a MIDI Learn function in it so all I do is switch that on, scroll through the sounds (be it for UPPER, LOWER etc or REG) and then save, the MIDI PRESET then will change the REG (Patch) and/or the sounds that make it up..can do numerous things actually
I also hooked this up to my FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller now and it will change all the MIDI devices at the the tap of my foot (via NEXT or PREV MIDI Preset messages)
Quite neat actually...and saves me having to remember or struggle with individual Program numbers on my J50 and Nord Stage 2 etc!

SetlistMaker also has split screen so you can display lyrics or charts/cheat sheets for arrangements at the same time (even better fro my failing memory!)

THIS WAS NOT MEANT AS AN ADVERT FOR SETLISTMAKER BTW!! Sorry if it comes across that way!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

GuyM wrote:my wireless thingee has not arrived yet, but can tell you that my iPad set up running SetlistMaker is working very well:
For each 'song' you set up /can create a series of 1...* MIDI PRESETS (Pre configured MIDI Messages/Change 'Patches' transmitting to multiple MIDI Channels)

The PRESET config has a MIDI Learn function in it so all I do is switch that on, scroll through the sounds (be it for UPPER, LOWER etc or REG) and then save, the MIDI PRESET then will change the REG (Patch) and/or the sounds that make it up..can do numerous things actually
I also hooked this up to my FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller now and it will change all the MIDI devices at the the tap of my foot (via NEXT or PREV MIDI Preset messages)
Quite neat actually...and saves me having to remember or struggle with individual Program numbers on my J50 and Nord Stage 2 etc!

SetlistMaker also has split screen so you can display lyrics or charts/cheat sheets for arrangements at the same time (even better fro my failing memory!)

THIS WAS NOT MEANT AS AN ADVERT FOR SETLISTMAKER BTW!! Sorry if it comes across that way!
Very interesting stuff!

nooooooo... I don't think you are advertising setlistmaker... ;-)