Trouble loading Synth Legends

Forum for JUPITER-50
phampton123

Trouble loading Synth Legends

Post by phampton123 »

Hi,

I am having trouble loading Synth Legends. I understand you can't load the whole package without over writing presets? So I have deselected some live sets (it was flashing). I also have to many tones to import (it is flashing as well), but I can't seem to deselect any. They only have plus signs beside them. Also it asks me to specify a path to write the additional data. I see from scrolling through the list, that it has already marked blank spots, but I can't seem to select any additional paths. If you're wondering I am a newb.

Thanks.
tnicoson

Re: Trouble loading Synth Legends

Post by tnicoson »

The only way I was ever able to load the "Synth Legends" package was to do a complete back-up of the original factory preset Tones, LiveSets, and Registrations and then use the RESTORE process to load the "Synth Legends" package so that is was the only sound package in memory. I have been successful in loading parts of the other (smaller ?) sound packages (that have been released since "Synth Legends") along with the original factory presets, but whenever I try to load any part of "Synth Legends" along with the original factory presets, I run into the same thing you are experiencing.

Many of those who thought they were successful in deleting unwanted/unneeded tones or LiveSets in order to load parts of "Synth Legends" were sorely disappointed to ultimately discover that favorite Registrations and/or LiveSets no longer worked because critical parts had been mistakenly deleted to make room for the parts of "Synth Legends". This is all part of the ongoing nightmare that results from trying to manage memory usage on very intricate instruments without a suitable editor/librarian and has been the ad nauseam topic of discussion of several different threads on this section and the JP-80 section of this forum. Perhaps one of the few who have been successful at this will chime in here and give you a few pointers. You may want to post your question over in the JP-80 section as well, as that is where most of the discussion of this dilemma has taken place. Best of luck !
phampton123

Post by phampton123 »

Thank you very much! I have spent quite a large chunk of time trying to make this work. I was able to load some of the smaller packages too. But couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks again!
phampton123

Post by phampton123 »

I have a JV1080 with the vintage and orchestral expansion cards, so I am not sure how useful it will be for me. I could always just hook up the Jupiter 50 to the jv1080.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Small world - I have my JP-50 driving a JV-2080 with Session, Orchestral, World, and Keyboards of the 60's & 70's expansion boards. Between the two, there is not much else I could want in the way of sounds. That Sessions board has a stereo grand that even the JP-50's SuperNatural Stereo Grand has a hard time beating. So, I am pretty well satisfied with just the JP-50's original factory sound set along with the 2080's repertoire.

Enjoy ! ! !
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

It is because of posts like these - and others - that I have not even bothered to try and upload the Synth Legends sounds into my J-50. I have many original registrations and live sets of my own, and I honestly don't want to risk losing them - they are more important to me than any vintage sounds could be.

The lack of and editor/librarian program for an instrument like this is a major oversight. Or at least they should have sold it with more open user spots, so that something like Synth Legends could easily be installed in addition to the factory presets, without having to delete anything. What a joke.

This will make me think twice about purchasing a Roland product again.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Keybdwizrd

I know exactly how you feel. Even though I mostly make do with the JP-50's original factory sounds, I have spent many, many hours auditioning and loading a few of the "other" (non-Synth-Legends) sounds that I really like and that fit in around the factory sounds. I would hate to lose all the work it took to do that, so I have them backed up to two different USB flash drives that I have marked with day-glo orange paint so that they don't get used for anything else, and have those backed up to three different PC/laptop hard-drives. Unless something earth-shattering comes along in the future, I will probably just stay with what I have and not even bother to audition anything else. My memory is jam packed full, so adding anything new would mean something current would have to go, and I am pretty sure I am not ready to start playing that game, but I really wonder how much of a future there is to Roland products and support. I have a very strong feeling that the name of Roland is about to take its place along side those of EMU and Ensoniq and many others.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Since we're commiserating I have some suspicions about the USB driver not being quite as rock solid as it could be -- the only time my PC has ever blue screened is when I'm bouncing MIDI to audio, and there are no other complaints about how Studio One handles this operation with other workstations' USB drivers. The chances of ever seeing an update are ... not good.