Power Outlet

Forum for JUPITER-50
phampton123

Power Outlet

Post by phampton123 »

Question. I have my Jupiter-50 setup in my basement. I only have 2 outlets down there. I have the unit plugged into a professional gigging surge power bar. That is plugged into an outlet that also has my water tank plugged in. I heard you shouldn't plug your board into anything that has a motor attached. Will this damage my board?
tnicoson

Re: Power Outlet

Post by tnicoson »

It depends upon whether, by "water tank" you mean an electric water heater or a well pump pressurizing a well tank. Since you mention a motor, I assume you are talking about a well-pump/pressure-tank set up.

Electric water heaters are purely resistive and may cause a slight electrical surge when they shut off, but your surge suppressor should be able to handle that.

Electric motors, being inductive (from the field and armature coils), can generate a huge electrical surge that even the best surge suppressors could have a problem handling, when they switch off.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable directly connecting any sensitive electronic device of considerable value to either of the above situations - with or without a surge suppressor. It may be worth your while to have an electrician install an outlet for you that is on a separate circuit. Of course, this does not provide absolute isolation, but the more wire there is between your sensitive devices and any surge generating sources, the better, and a good surge suppressor is always a good idea, regardless of the electrical environment. If you have a shallow well single phase pump, you can have the electrician install the outlet on the phase that does not have the well pump connected to it, but if it is a three phase pump, there is no way to get completely away from it.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

tnicoson wrote:It depends upon whether, by "water tank" you mean an electric water heater or a well pump pressurizing a well tank. Since you mention a motor, I assume you are talking about a well-pump/pressure-tank set up.

Electric water heaters are purely resistive and may cause a slight electrical surge when they shut off, but your surge suppressor should be able to handle that.

Electric motors, being inductive (from the field and armature coils), can generate a huge electrical surge that even the best surge suppressors could have a problem handling, when they switch off.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable directly connecting any sensitive electronic device of considerable value to either of the above situations - with or without a surge suppressor. It may be worth your while to have an electrician install an outlet for you that is on a separate circuit. Of course, this does not provide absolute isolation, but the more wire there is between your sensitive devices and any surge generating sources, the better, and a good surge suppressor is always a good idea, regardless of the electrical environment.

This is a very good advice phampton123
phampton123

Post by phampton123 »

Thanks all. I moved all my gear upstairs.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Probably the best idea. Basements aren't the best environments for electronic equipment