VST editor

Forum for JUPITER-50
mpraet

VST editor

Post by mpraet »

Hello,

If Roland make a editor for I pad ,should I as user of the Jupiter 50 buy a ipad ???
I think not
so why don't they make a VST editor for PC
damn damn you pay for an instrument and Roland isn't provide it with a PC plug in editor ???
Synthtron

Re: VST editor

Post by Synthtron »

I think the idea behind the JP-editor on the iPad was to offer a set-up like older Roland synths like JX-3p, JX-8p, Alpha Junos, D-series etc. Back in the day you could purchase a separate hardware editor with knobs/sliders to make programming easier. Remember the PG editors?

I am pretty sure Roland will not produce anything else for the Jupiter-80/50 other than maybe a sound refill through Axial.

All I want is a editor/librarian to help manage sounds but I am afraid that is not going to happen.
mpraet

Post by mpraet »

roland is doing nothing for his custumors annemore
I think its all about making big profits and the custumors have to pay for that

see all the new instrument forums its all the same complaint ...NO PC VST editor !!!!!!

and thats shit for my payd money
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Well, its a bummer they did not make an editor librarian for computer but the Jupiters are not perfect but are still great instruments. I use a Jupiter-50 to play live and another 50 and 80 in my studio. I am more hands on anyway so and do not use a computer to make music as a result I am not missing any kind of VST control.

I can see how a VST editor would be useful though. I wonder how many people jupiter owners would use it.

I also wonder how many Jupiters are being used out there in general.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Synthtron wrote:Well, its a bummer they did not make an editor librarian for computer but the Jupiters are not perfect but are still great instruments. I use a Jupiter-50 to play live and another 50 and 80 in my studio. I am more hands on anyway so and do not use a computer to make music as a result I am not missing any kind of VST control.

I can see how a VST editor would be useful though. I wonder how many people jupiter owners would use it.

I also wonder how many Jupiters are being used out there in general.
1) I agree with your statement, "the Jupiters are not perfect but are still great instruments."
2) Just about anyone with a computer would benefit from an editor (which I know is never going to come, and third parties are no longer producing MIDI editors like they did in the past). I would love to have one ... but I can and do still work around it.
3) I'd be really upset if I paid anywhere near full price for my JP50, but I didn't, fortunately. I recently noticed there was one selling for $750 USD on craigslist. Warts and all, it's a great piece for that sort of money. At $2,000 +, the lack of an editor is a big deal since I'll guess way more owners use computers than those who don't (not that anyone absolutely has to use one, freedom of choice is fine).
4) Others have noted that the (sort of antiquated) menu system still works fine ... but PCs with visual reinforcement really do make the task of editing less daunting.
5) The 76-key JP50 as a controller for virtual instruments is a beautiful thing if you do anything more musical than record beats.
Macska

Post by Macska »

I know what you mean I was so incredibly angry when I purchased a Juno 106 and Jupiter 8 with little research only to find out afterwards that dumb ol Roland didn't make a PC editor for then! Sure they never promised one and you can access all of the parameters from the front panel, but what the Hell Roland when you release a synth you gotta keep your customers happy after they buy it!

It's not just Roland though! The same thing happened when I got a Korg Triton LE. Even Steinway didnt provide an editor for my Grand Piano. "Grand" my @$$ you're telling me I have to adjust the strings and cover by hand?!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Wait a minute, That is too funny, the Juno-106 and Jupiter-8? You are joking? Those synths are early 80's. Of course Roland did not make PC editors.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Ah someone finally caught my joke! Yes I'm joking, and trying to put things in perspective. For some reason we had about a month there where there were an annoying number of "complaints about upgrades" threads.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Hey, back in that day (80s) I actually had a Mac editor for my OB8, one of the Jupiter 8's main competitors. Like I said, there were third party companies doing that for major synths until this millennium (and maybe some still do, though I never see them advertised). I forget the name of the company that produced it.
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Yes there’s no Editors, I remember the discussions when the Jupiters was released. Really sorry you didn’t checked here or at Roland’s Download Pages before you bought it.
Probably a Company structure thing. No inhouse programmers for Mac/PC. Some of the early 2000 Editors, where created by other companies, I can’t say everyone because I don’t know. And they had Windows problem. Download the editors for XV-5050 and Fantom XR and you see. New window everytime you hit a button. Juno-G and the Sonic Cell are the only editors that have good windows structure. Could be some more have not checked them all.
But, with the new Aria line, new VST plugin’s. And the INTEGRA-7 people have just got a Roland VST Editor, They already had one thanks to one of their users in there forum “Take-K” who nicely programmed one for free.
Perhaps Roland consider fix one for the Jupiters if they still think there’s a market, they have the people for it now.