Realistic acoustic brass sounds

Forum for JUPITER-50
aceband2003

Realistic acoustic brass sounds

Post by aceband2003 »

I'm considering buying a Jupiter 50,I currently have a Kronos 61 and korg oasys 76 which I'm going to sell on eBay so I can buy a JP-50. I love the synth sound,but also I'm looking for the best trumpet,and sax solo sounds,including brass ensemble sounds. I can't tell from the you tube videos,because they kind of skim over those sounds during the demos. Also do you have to use microphone jacks xlr,instead of regular guitar jacks?
troggg

Re: Realistic acoustic brass sounds

Post by troggg »

Well there's two types of brass sounds, the synth sounds and the realistic sounds. I haven't tried much synth brass, but the acoustic sounds are pretty impressive ... that is as long you want to play something like the Nutcracker Suite as opposed to trying to recreate the James Brown horn section. There are some jazzy sounding solo acoustic horns including various saxes, just not that much (to my ears, anyway, others may differ) in the soul/pop arena.

The ensembles in particular kinda get you there ... once again as long as there is more classical. Actually, if anyone disagrees, please point me to sounds you would use if you were playing, say, "Cold Sweat" by James Brown. I'd like to find some!

There aren't any XLR (microphone) jacks on a JP50, the JP80 might have those, not sure.

What's really nice about the JP is the way the keybed interacts with the sounds. It's very conducive to faking acoustic instruments.
aceband2003

Post by aceband2003 »

I was looking for wind controller type,like the old Yamaha vl1 with breath controller. The alto sax sounded pretty good,and the trumpet also sounded realistic on the JP-50. I guess it's all in the technic,the way you play. I like the JP-50 because it's not a workstation,and sounds very good,I currently have a korg Kronos. Thank you for the reply!
troggg

Post by troggg »

Wind controllers are, to the best of my knowledge, a Yamaha thing -- I had one back in the day!