To buy : Jupiter50 OR juno Stage ?

Forum for JUPITER-50
oliv928

To buy : Jupiter50 OR juno Stage ?

Post by oliv928 »

Hello all,
I actually own a XP30 which is not bad sounding , and a Fantom FA76 which is better sounding to my ear. I play in a pop orck band. I am expecting to buy a new stage synth. I like the FA76 but it is too heavy.
I really hesitate between Jupiter 50 and Juno Stage, in term of sounding first. They seem very similar, Jupiter is more recent and costs more, but does it really Worth ? With 2 good SRXs Inside ad more controllers, a second hand JS is even cheaper. It seems that EPs and Elec and B3 organs are better in JUPITER... ?
tnicoson

Re: To buy : Jupiter50 OR juno Stage ?

Post by tnicoson »

If you are used to the 16-part multi-timbral sound engines in your XP-30 and FA-76 that you can run 16 MIDI channels into from your DAW, and would expect this in the keyboard you are adding, then you will need to go with the Juno Stage. The Jupiter-50 is based on the new LiveSet sound engine design and is, bascially only 3 part multi-timbral: LOWER, UPPER, SOLO. The UPPER sound can actually consist of up to 4 tones, but they are, by design, all tied to the same incoming MIDI channel, so you have LOWER on one MIDI channel, UPPER (with up to 4 tones) on a second MIDI channel, and SOLO on a third MIDI channel. That's it. Also, if you make use of an on-board sequencer for backing tracks and recording, the Jupiter-50 has NO ON-BOARD SEQUENCER. It must rely on its own USB Flash Drive MP3, WAV, AIFF file player or external audio devices for backing tracks. While the SuperNatural sounds of the Jupiter-50 are superior to the sounds of the Juno Stage and can be used to make some enormous stacks, if you are looking for more conventional accoutrements then you should go with the Juno Stage.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

This is good and sound advice. I've been down this road trying to choose between the two. Inevitably I chose the Jupiter 50 over the Juno Stage only to regret it, and bought another one. I ended up moving to the Jupiter 80 for it's superior interface and 4 part multi-timbrel ability. But the Stage still had a hold on me for it's ease of use, superior programming via the editor and sound library organization. My daughter liked it so much she took it instead of her Juno Di, which has now sold. It is likely that the Stage she is using will be in my collection again someday when she moves on to another keyboard. I'll keep it for how great it is. Except for the Supernatural sounds in the Jupiter, the Juno Stage will remain my favorite of all Roland Keyboards. I wish they would make a new version like this (I am not into sequencing but performance).
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Hey Snoop !

I was hoping you would pop in here with your 2 cents worth and some really sage Stage advice, since you have already been through it. I was thinking of you when I wrote my reply, but went ahead and posted it, as I have had more than several occasions recently to regret buying the JP-50 instead of that new Stage. I love the sounds of the JP-50, but get really frustrated when I try to do any studio type projects with it. In that case, it just can not stand on its own. I guess I will always be a 16 part multi-timbral guy. Was not aware that you had brought a Stage back into the family. That sounds like a real winner.

oliv -

Listen to this guy. He has been through, a couple of times over, what you are going through now and should be able to give you a lot more specifics about the Stage than I can.
Mahobe

Post by Mahobe »

JP 50 all the freaking way.
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

thank you everybody for the usefull reviews about JP AND JS
I finally bought a JS and I think, after tweaking period I will have satisfaction
I would say : "quite" easy to use, after some time ( not so easy to understand structures than in my ALESIS FUSION), light, good keyboard touch, good state quality, many appreciable functions for live, overall good sounds quality in every type,...
So I turn to the specific JS forum untill now
Thank's a lot again