Jupiter-50 Random Lock-Ups

Forum for JUPITER-50
Keybdwizrd

Jupiter-50 Random Lock-Ups

Post by Keybdwizrd »

I've been doing a lot of editing of the synth sounds using the front panel.

Several times, usually while editing effects, my Jupiter-50 has completely locked up. I've had to turn it off and on again in order to get it running again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Michael
Nordi

Re: Jupiter-50 Random Lock-Ups

Post by Nordi »

Hi Michael
Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=47223&p=270776#p270776

If i understand correctly your problem, it seems the same problem as mine. I had send back my JP50 to Roland, they do not find any problem. So i can realize, that one part of my problem the old OS version (1.01) brings up. Another part a Midi-languege problem between my Clavia Nord Stage Ex and thé JP. That both problems i have fixed. The third problem, i think, is the JP50 OS software (now version 1.10). After updating from the os it is not a "big" problem anymore, but sometimes....

I hope for a 2.0 version of the OS - maybe one day it will come...

Nordi
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Nordi -

Yes!

In that other thread, you wrote:

1. create a new sound and use all three sound engines (lower, upper and solo)
2. put to the lower engine a special sound, call "Movingchr 1" (No 319)
3. the other sound engines do not need a special sound, but maybe use a fat string sound
4. play the sound. On my JP i can hear the sound from the choir with a very long delay and reverb. Very often it sounds lige a "midi-note hang on", but is is a effect on the tone.
5. now try to change the effect in the "efx-effect section"
6. when i press different buttons maybe more ten times, the JP50 freeze.
7. i can only switch the power off to wake up him again.

If I do this on my J-50 - all I have to do is go to the effects section and select "reverb" and my synthesizer locks up every time. This is obviously a bug.

Now - I have noticed that my Jupiter-50 has OS version 1.02, and now I see that there is a version 1.10 available. I will have to upgrade to 1.10 and see if I can still reproduce the lockup. Since upgrading to 1.10 can you still reproduce this problem?

Thank you very much.
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Good luck!
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Michael

When I set up my JP-50 the way Nordi does his, I do everything I can to stress the system as much as possible, but I never have a problem of any kind - no lock-ups, no stutters, nothing. I am running OS Version 1.02, so that can not be the problem or I would see it too. I suspect it is a version problem, but not a software version, but rather a hardware version. In other words, a production run - with parts that don't meet specs. A lot of times, the tech support groups don't want your power supply when you send a unit in for testing, and that's always a mistake on their part. The power supply could well be the problem, especially since these keyboard manufacturers change suppliers on that kind of stuff every other week - whoever is making it the cheapest this week. Even if Nordi sent in his power supply, there is every chance that the tech support folks used their own. What we are doing has to be running the current draw of the board pretty high, so if the power supply is weak, the current goes up, the voltage drops off, and voila - you have a lock-up. I know I am just guessing, but it does seem to make some sense, at least.

I'm with Nordi - good luck with your endeavors. If there is anything you want me to try with my board, give me a shout.

Regards,

Ted
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

mabe this is possible, i heared something like that for Guitar Effects. Maybe i can check out that, because i have a brandnew powersupply for my GT10 Git-Amp. If this one have a little bit more power i can try that.

But one more - after updating the OS from my Jupiter, i had only one or two times a freeze again when i editing an effect. Maybe hardware plus software will work much better with OS 1.2 on critical boards?

cheers - Nordi
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Ted -

I don't know about the power being an issue. I turned my J-50 off before bed and turned it on this morning. Went right to a preset registration I created (based upon Nordi's suggestion) and the keyboard locks up every time I select "reverb" from the "live efx" menu.

Interestingly, If I play around with some other settings on that screen, and THEN hit the Reverb button, there is no lockup.

I will do the 1.10 upgrade and see what happens.

Thanks, all.

Michael
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Nordi

I would not recommend connecting the GT-10 power supply to the JP-50 unless its output voltage, polarity, wattage rating, and connector are correct, otherwise you could do serious damage to either the JP-50 or the GT-10 power supply or both.

Michael

I was not talking about a power supply heating problem, but rather a voltage problem, where the voltage drops below a minimum required voltage with an increase in the power supply load. Anyway, the OS upgrade sounds like a good idea. Good luck with that.

Regards,

Ted
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

tnicoson wrote:Nordi

I would not recommend connecting the GT-10 power supply to the JP-50 unless its output voltage, polarity, wattage rating, and connector are correct, otherwise you could do serious damage to either the JP-50 or the GT-10 power supply or both.

Regards,

Ted
Hi Ted - i know that and of course i check it before. i am nearly sure that both power supply are works with the same voltage etc , but i check it!

:-) Nordi
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

I upgraded to 1.10 and it did not change anything. I can still re-create the "Nordi" lockup.

To re-phrase Nordi's instructions:

1) Go to an empty registration (INIT REGIST)

2) For the LOWER, make sure that LOWER TONE is selected. Scroll to program #321 (MovingChr 3)

3) Hit the SHIFT button, and then select F4 (EFFECT)

4) Hit F6 (LIVE EFX)

5) Hit F5 (REVERB)

When I do this, my Jupiter-50 locks up completely.

However, I have found a way to avoid the lockup:

1) Do steps 1-4 above.

2) In the bottom right of the LIVE SET EFFECTS screen, you will see "1 REVERB". Use the arrow keys and move the cursor until the number "1" is highlighted.

3) Using the wheel, simply change the "1 REVERB" to "2 SRV ROOM", and move it back to "1".

4) Now hit F5 (REVERB). No lockup.

This really bizarre. Simply changing the reverb type and changing it back avoids the crash.

For me, the reason for wanting to edit this parameter is important - Inside the REVERB menu, you can select what kind of reverb you want, including a couple of delay options. This is how you can apply a delay effect to a solo part, or to all of the parts for that matter.

Anyhow, this is a serious bug manifestation inside my Jupiter-50.

Anyone wishing to try this, it is really very simple to do this. If you're going to be trying it multiple times, just take an empty registration, set the LOWER sound to #321, and save it.

I have only followed Nordi's example and do not know if this lockup occurs if/when other sounds or sound combinations are selected. I suspect that there are other button presses that will cause lockups, but thanks to Nordi for identifying this one that is consistently demonstrable, with my synth at least.

Not happy, Roland.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Michael

Sorry the upgrade did not resolve your problem, but glad you found a work-around. If you would like for Roland to know you are not happy with this and would appreciate a fix, you need to log into their support site and send them an email from there. Roland personnel do not log into or monitor this site. It is not a Roland owned or supported site.

Regards,

Ted
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Thanks, Ted. I am rather new here but figured that was probably the case.

This is the first synthesizer "bug" I've encounter outside of my Virus TI. The Virus TI had horrible issues with lockups and crashes when it first came out. Early purchasers like me suffered through some nasty problems that were finally, mostly resolved after a couple of years and countless new OS releases. The TIs are mostly stable, although some people still have more issues than others. This has been generally attributed to the assumption that Access hasn't built all of their units with exactly the same hardware components, or perhaps that some units were built with problematic components.

In any case, this stands in stark contrast to my experience with Yamaha keyboards, which I've played for more than 20 years now. Every single one of them has been solid as a rock and 100% dependable. Ditto for the Korg instruments I've owned, although I don't have as much experience with those.

The Jupiter-50 is, amazingly, my first Roland keyboard, although I own a JV-1080 and an XV-5050 that I bought last year on eBay. I have been playing synthesizers since about 1973.

I realize that these Jupiters have some rather complicated stuff happening under the hood, and are apparently "true" synthesizers as opposed to traditional romplers. I've been a bit frustrated trying to find information from Roland that explains in plain English (and without marketing-speak) exactly what these instruments are and how they do it.

This is also frustrating because money is tighter for me these days than it has been in quite a while, and I sold a couple of pieces of perfectly good, very nice pieces of gear to put together the money to buy this Jupiter-50. And I'm a bit worried that Roland could discontinue the Jupiters, or certainly the 50, before they get around to fixing the OS 100%.

Hopefully, I won't find any more bugs. But I'm a bit concerned because I ran into this one shortly after deciding to get beyond the presets and start creating my own registrations. Thank goodness Nordi is here, who shared this documented example, indicating that there are probably A LOT of J-50's out there with this little issue.
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Hi Michael
I am sorry about that issue with our JP, but i love the sounds of it. I try to ignore the problems.
Thanks for workarround, i will try that if i need it.
Sorry to say, but i found some other little issues in JP.

- the "effect problem" becomes also with sounds No 319, 320 and 321 and one or two more (dont know the numbers yet)
- the issue with the "synth legends". If you try to import more then maybe 10 registrations, your JP cannot put the regitrations, live sets and tones only to empty places and overwrite some other tones. My workarround for that is, importing only one regitration in each time, test it and then import the next one. Btw, this is the same problem for every import of registration!
- if you use Midi channel one for programchange, it will happens sometimes that the JP do not understand the programchange correctly. Sometimes he use the wrong programm (registration). Workarround is using channel two or higher, then i do not have that problem. This issue will come up when the programchange comes from other keyboards or software
- i had sometimes more Midi problems with the JP (pitch wheel), but i cannot bescribe them correctly.
- he do not correct work with an Roland EV5 pedal (in lower position), but very correct with an Yamaha FC7 :-)
The EV5 works perfect on my Nord Stage.

I think i can say that the OS of the Jupiter is very buggy in little things, but now i can use him on stage.

I am looking to Japan hope for OS 2.0 - and go today to a hospital for fixing a hardware problem with my old body - cheers Nordi
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Keybdwizrd wrote:I've been doing a lot of editing of the synth sounds using the front panel.

Several times, usually while editing effects, my Jupiter-50 has completely locked up. I've had to turn it off and on again in order to get it running again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Michael

Yes, My Jupiter-50 locked up several times while editing effects on a registration I was building. Very frustrating, it locks up all access to the panel leaving you no choice but to turn it off and on again. It is a definite bug and I guess it will not not be addressed by Roland.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Roland informed me that the latest update, veriosn 1.11 corrects this reverb/lockup issue.
I missed the update release somehow but both of my JP-50s have been upgraded to version 1.11 now and are happy.