Stuck notes

Forum for JUPITER-50
troggg

Stuck notes

Post by troggg »

Hi, I'm getting a bunch of stuck notes using the Jupiter 50 with Studio One DAW. Studio One does better with virtual instruments than what it terms "external instruments" (the Jupiter). I don't get many stuck notes when using the Jupiter as a controller for VIs -- but I get a lot when I play back its internal sounds. In fact notes almost always hang in this mode.

Can anyone suggest a good way to hunt this down or a few things to try?

Or at least an easy way to turn them off?

Thanks!
PauloF

Re: Stuck notes

Post by PauloF »

troggg wrote:Hi, I'm getting a bunch of stuck notes using the Jupiter 50 with Studio One DAW. Studio One does better with virtual instruments than what it terms "external instruments" (the Jupiter). I don't get many stuck notes when using the Jupiter as a controller for VIs -- but I get a lot when I play back its internal sounds. In fact notes almost always hang in this mode.

Can anyone suggest a good way to hunt this down or a few things to try?

Or at least an easy way to turn them off?

Thanks!
Happy New Year troggg

Two questions:

How many channels/Tones are you driving when playing the DAW project?

Which one is the Master clock source? The JP-50 or Studio One?
troggg

Post by troggg »

Hi. I'm pretty sure the computer is the master, but I'm not certain. Where would I look on the Jupiter? There is of course no sequencer on board so I'm not even sure if the Jupiter can be the master.

I have not broken the Jupiter into 3 separate channels; it's just sending and receiving on one channel I believe playing factory live sets at the moment. In other words it's just playing a factory sounds, for example String Ensemble 4, I haven't created any massive combo sounds.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Still looking for help on this one.

Let me provide a little more information. The Jupiter 50 is the only keyboard I own, and I don't plan on adding any more cause I have nothing against virtual instruments, but in any event I don't need to control other MIDI hardware.

The software DAW I'm using is Studio One for Windows, which is a lot like Cubase.

So if anyone could recommend the best MIDI settings on the Jupiter for use with a computer DAW, that would be great. Particularly I need to know how to set Local On or Off and whether to use Master or Slave. Master/slave is confusing cause I imagine when I play virtual instruments with the Jupiter keyboard it's the master, but when playing back internal sounds it's the slave.

Once again, the Jupiter seems well-behaved when I use it with virtual instruments, it's playing back its internal sounds where I get all sorts of stuck notes -- and often it's not just a single note, it's a bunch of them which is a cacophony.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

troggg wrote:Still looking for help on this one.

Let me provide a little more information. The Jupiter 50 is the only keyboard I own, and I don't plan on adding any more cause I have nothing against virtual instruments, but in any event I don't need to control other MIDI hardware.

The software DAW I'm using is Studio One for Windows, which is a lot like Cubase.

So if anyone could recommend the best MIDI settings on the Jupiter for use with a computer DAW, that would be great. Particularly I need to know how to set Local On or Off and whether to use Master or Slave. Master/slave is confusing cause I imagine when I play virtual instruments with the Jupiter keyboard it's the master, but when playing back internal sounds it's the slave.

Once again, the Jupiter seems well-behaved when I use it with virtual instruments, it's playing back its internal sounds where I get all sorts of stuck notes -- and often it's not just a single note, it's a bunch of them which is a cacophony.
From what you describe it seems a MIDI loop.
As you are using Studio One all the time, try to set the JP-50 as LOCAL=OFF so the MIDI notes don't get duplicated.
troggg

Post by troggg »

I believe you're correct -- after a lot of troubleshooting, I have traced it to that. When I record with Local On, I get the stuck notes, with Local Off, there seems to be smooth sailing. Also, the Jupiter seems to do better when it's in Slave mode. Thanks for helping.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

troggg wrote:I believe you're correct -- after a lot of troubleshooting, I have traced it to that. When I record with Local On, I get the stuck notes, with Local Off, there seems to be smooth sailing. Also, the Jupiter seems to do better when it's in Slave mode. Thanks for helping.
Glad it helped ;-)

When the LOCAL=ON and the DAW is sending back the notes to the JUPITER, in fact you are duplicating the polyphony use, so it's normal that in the case of heavy voice count usage some notes would drop out.