Newbie again - Organising the J50 for Live shows

Forum for JUPITER-50
GuyM

Newbie again - Organising the J50 for Live shows

Post by GuyM »

Hi there
Just got my J50 yesterday and read the manual a couple of times , but some if is not going in :(

Sorry up front, if these are fairly obvious questions and maybe are answered elsewhere....

What I am looking for is advice as to how to the organise sounds (Registrations?) in my J50 so that I can easily access and change sounds during songs in the live set without a lot of scrolling, button pressing etc.

Is it a matter of simply noting down the patches you want to use and moving them into appropriate slots in some set list/song order?

Can you get the "Performance keys (ones that say Piano, Organ, Strings etc) to default to the favourite patch one of that category on boot ?

Is there a PC based librarian editor for the J50 to make life easy moving things about?

Any help on how you use yours to make life easy in a live setting appreciated :)

Thanks
Nordi

Re: Newbie again - Organising the J50 for Live shows

Post by Nordi »

First - there is no libarian for the JP

Maybe one of the best ways is, to organize your sounds in an exact row. So you can use the jog dial. Or you can use a ctrl pedal. It is possible to programm the ctrl ports for that.

I use an iPad App named Setlistmaker and switch the sounds via midi. So it is not important where you store the sound, you can call it at once
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Thanks for that info!

The iPad app. thing is attractive as there are a number of apps (Electrum, TouchDaw) that I have been told about that would make that a useful and cost effective way of organising things...

As I do not own an iPad but do own a Kindle Fire HD...do you know if that app is available for the kindle (as an Alternative?) no worries if you do not! I can always look it up I guess (just being lazy!)

Ta
Guy
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Sorry, i do not know any Kindl app.
I know some different for that on iPad, but not on Kindl
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Thanks very much...very helpful
Still have some queries if you all do not mind...

As an iPad virgin....which model is best suited for my needs...as I see there are various flavours and specs
I do not need anything too fancy as it is primarily to support the music ....so long as it runs "Setlistmaker" (or whatever) etc. and can sit happily and securely on the keyboard... so ? e.g 16gb or 32gb? 1st gen or new mkII?

I am assuming it connects via the J50 Block USB into a USB slot on the iPad?
or does the iPad have MIDI ports (sounds unlikely) or do you also need a USB to MIDI Ports adapter?
OR
If you want to set up Setlistmaker with 2 MIDI keys, then as the J50 has no thru, it would have to send via Key#1 (my NORD STAGE 2) and MIDI thru into Key#2 (the J50) - so I guess this could all be configured?

Apart from that any other suggestion as to how to organise the J50 banks etc so that all the sounds are readily switchable? Without iPads etc. and hints..tips etc?

and the other thing I wanted to know..how to I set it so that my favourite Piano as the one that defaults when I hit the "PIANO" button (and same for pads, organs etc) Can you specify/configure what the default (1st up) sound is?

Thanks for all the help :)
Guy
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

Hi - a lot of questions, i will try to answer. Sorry for my bad english, it is a little bit rusty. I hope i understand your questions i a right way.
First, i use also Nord Stage EX and JP50, so we are very close together :-)

I think you can use all iPad version, it does not matter wich modell. But - wenn you start with that, after some weeks it can be possible you want to do more than only change sounds, than it maybe better to have more than 16 gb, but i dont really know. I use an iPad 4 with 64GB. By the way, you can also use an iPhone, no Problem!

You need the apple camera connection cable and a iRig or Yamaha Midi connector for IOS. Now you need the App. I have two favorite Apps for that - "Yamaha Set List Maker" and the "Setlistmaker" from Arlo Leach. The Yamaha App looks more professional and do a very good job. The Setlistmaker from Arlo is much more powerfull, its my favorite App. Pleas have a look in Appstore, its hard for me to explain all features. By the way - i use the iRig Blueboard for changing Sounds in Setlistmaker with my foot, it works great!

I conect my Nord via Midi on iPad. From Nord Midi out to JP Midi In. From JP Midi out to my Boss GT10 Gitarre Amp Midi In. From GT10 Midi Out to Midi in from our DMX Light Mixer and after that back to iPad
Setlistmaker sends all Midi data to all different things. Setlistmaker can send on different channels for each keyboard or Gitamp or light mixer, no problem.

It is possible without any problems to connect more IPads with Setlistmaker together via Wlan or Bluetooth to a little web on stage. My iPad is the master, both other are the slave. So i i change the sound, both other see the same song. Our drummer have the new Midi-click for the song and it works fine

Cheers - Heinz
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Ok Heinz
Thanks for the update !
therealvicz

Post by therealvicz »

'Normal' thing to do is to create a registration for each song in your set. It's very easy to do, set up the patches, any splits, effects, etc. how you want them to be, then use the write button to write the registration. You can rename it to something meaningful, and choose which of the 256 slots you want to save it to. You can select a registration using the bank buttons, or just scroll to it using the scroll wheel, or increment using a foot switch. In the unlikely event that 256 registrations is not enough you can copy them to a USB stick and restore when needed. There is no librarian, if you want to rearrange the registrations you need to just rewrite them into their new slot, via a spare slot if necessary. This is a good way to work even for single sound registrations.

If you want to work 'manually' using the front panel buttons, you can indeed choose which sound is selected by default for each button, and also which is selected for each category by the Alt button.

You can choose which registration is loaded by default when the J50 is switched on, or have it return to that selected when it was switched off.

Setlistmaker is a great tool when you have more than one keyboard to setup for each song, but it seems like overkill for just the J50. If I were you I would spend a bit more time getting to know how the J50 works before getting sidetracked by tablets.
Nordi

Post by Nordi »

therealvicz wrote:'Normal' thing to do is to create a registration for each song in your set. It's very easy to do, set up the patches, any splits, effects, etc. how you want them to be, then use the write button to write the registration. You can rename it to something meaningful, and choose which of the 256 slots you want to save it to. You can select a registration using the bank buttons, or just scroll to it using the scroll wheel, or increment using a foot switch. In the unlikely event that 256 registrations is not enough you can copy them to a USB stick and restore when needed. There is no librarian, if you want to rearrange the registrations you need to just rewrite them into their new slot, via a spare slot if necessary. This is a good way to work even for single sound registrations.

If you want to work 'manually' using the front panel buttons, you can indeed choose which sound is selected by default for each button, and also which is selected for each category by the Alt button.

You can choose which registration is loaded by default when the J50 is switched on, or have it return to that selected when it was switched off.

Setlistmaker is a great tool when you have more than one keyboard to setup for each song, but it seems like overkill for just the J50. If I were you I would spend a bit more time getting to know how the J50 works before getting sidetracked by tablets.
Sorry, but there a 128 Registrations and no front panel button. It seems to me, that you mistake JP 80 and JP 50
GuyM

Post by GuyM »

Hi therealvicz et al and thanks!

1. My set up is slightly more complex that the J50
Being the J50 + Nord Stage 2 + Roland SPS-D Sample Pad
Added complication is that only the NORD has a MIDI THRU port :(

2. The "LINEAR patch change" method you suggest i.e. have all the REG LISTS arranged in a row and just scroll through for live, is indeed something I have had to adopt with the NORD (as much as I love it...it has similar issues for live playing and sound changes)
What I did on the NORD was to arrange patches sequentially by SONG
so e.g. for songs TOM, DICK & HARRY
TOM 1 > TOM 2 > TOM 3 > TOM 4
DICK 1 > DICK 2
HARRY 1 > HARRY 2 > HARRY 3
Which is OK but a bit time consuming to configure and had to be thought about quite carefully especially where there is a long sequence of changes but sounds can re-occur!...so do I a) waste a slot saving the SAME patch over again so I do not have to think about it on stage or b) do I have to remember to double back to a previous patch and the jump forward again...all quite tricky!
I used option a) but it wastes a lot of slot spaces!

But at least the NORD comes with a librarian so moving patches about and rearranging orders is handled reasonably well and can be saved off nice and easily for various SET ORDERS!!

If the SET ORDER needs to change quickly etc. then this again would take some time re-arranging patch orders with no drag and drop librarian functions etc. - especially tricky if certain songs segue into others!

This is why something that knows what pre-configured sounds I need per song and give me the ability to call these up on all the MIDI devices being used simultaneously at a single touch seems so appealing! :)

Guy
therealvicz

Post by therealvicz »

Nordi wrote:
therealvicz wrote:'Normal' thing to do is to create a registration for each song in your set. It's very easy to do, set up the patches, any splits, effects, etc. how you want them to be, then use the write button to write the registration. You can rename it to something meaningful, and choose which of the 256 slots you want to save it to. You can select a registration using the bank buttons, or just scroll to it using the scroll wheel, or increment using a foot switch. In the unlikely event that 256 registrations is not enough you can copy them to a USB stick and restore when needed. There is no librarian, if you want to rearrange the registrations you need to just rewrite them into their new slot, via a spare slot if necessary. This is a good way to work even for single sound registrations.

Sorry, but there a 128 Registrations and no front panel button. It seems to me, that you mistake JP 80 and JP 50
My bad there are 'only' 128 slots for registrations. After over a year I am using about 70 of mine btw. There are buttons on the top panel for directly selecting registrations.

The good news is that you can quickly re-order or exchange registrations using the Utility function in the main menu.
sterling17

Post by sterling17 »

Don't forget that on the Nord, you can set up four programs inside of each "master" program by assigning them to each of the four Live buttons, so in the Set List, you store a particular Program that has four different sounds in it. It makes playing live much easier instead of having to create separate Programs for each song.
gius_prenc

Post by gius_prenc »

Hi;

if you own an Android phone/tablet, here is what I developed and currently use with my JP50 (and all other midi keyboards I use):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ller&hl=en

Regards,

G.