Okay, this is crazy but I'm now also a J50 owner!

Forum for JUPITER-50
flyingace

Okay, this is crazy but I'm now also a J50 owner!

Post by flyingace »

3 Rolands in a month and a day! We went to Dallas, TX yesterday to see a show at the House of Blues and today before leaving stopped in at the Guitar Center there. There is was, a dusty and used Jupiter 50. The guys told me it was their demo model that they got in new in 2013 and they never sold any. So they put it up on the used rack back in March, then after a month, they lowered the price, and then clearanced it... so I got it for a couple hundred less than half price and all I have to do is clean it up! It sounds amazing and even though I really felt good about my Juno-Stage purchase this last week, and I'll miss some of it's built in features like the mic input and rhythms, the J50 sounds better on almost all counts, is supported by roland with current OS drivers, Axial inclusion and will allow me to use the wireless adapter for air recorder.

I look forward to being a part of the community in all three areas (until I sell the Stage) and the clan in general.

Thanks for all the great help and advice I get from you all!
PauloF

Re: Okay, this is crazy but I'm now also a J50 owner!

Post by PauloF »

flyingace wrote:3 Rolands in a month and a day! We went to Dallas, TX yesterday to see a show at the House of Blues and today before leaving stopped in at the Guitar Center there. There is was, a dusty and used Jupiter 50. The guys told me it was their demo model that they got in new in 2013 and they never sold any. So they put it up on the used rack back in March, then after a month, they lowered the price, and then clearanced it... so I got it for a couple hundred less than half price and all I have to do is clean it up! It sounds amazing and even though I really felt good about my Juno-Stage purchase this last week, and I'll miss some of it's built in features like the mic input and rhythms, the J50 sounds better on almost all counts, is supported by roland with current OS drivers, Axial inclusion and will allow me to use the wireless adapter for air recorder.

I look forward to being a part of the community in all three areas (until I sell the Stage) and the clan in general.

Thanks for all the great help and advice I get from you all!
Congrats on your new Roland(s) ;-) enjoy
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks PauloF!

I spent all day yesterday learning the JP50. I'm definitely keeping it and selling my Juno Stage but there are a few things I'll miss. I will say that the sound quality of the JP50 is the reason I love it. The interface and other failings I'll have to cope with... if anything I have found in keyboard-land is there is not ONE perfect keyboard that can do it all, sadly.

Things I'll miss on the Juno Stage:
arpeggiator creator/editor.
built-in rhythm player with editor.
PC editor and librarian.
built-in mic input with volume and reverb.
top-side EQ controls.
16 part performances (with an editor that will help you create them).

Workarounds:
I use my Zoom R24 for recording vocals
I can use the Zoom or external drum app or machine for rhythms
I need to learn how to create arpeggiator patterns in MIDI in an external program (Logic?)

Everything else is a shame they didn't carry over from the older models like the Stage or Gi. Seems they could at least add the Arp editor/creator to a system update and make us a full PC editor/librarian.

All in all, I'm still sticking with it because it sounds so good!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

flyingace wrote:Thanks PauloF!

I spent all day yesterday learning the JP50. I'm definitely keeping it and selling my Juno Stage but there are a few things I'll miss. I will say that the sound quality of the JP50 is the reason I love it. The interface and other failings I'll have to cope with... if anything I have found in keyboard-land is there is not ONE perfect keyboard that can do it all, sadly.

Things I'll miss on the Juno Stage:
arpeggiator creator/editor.
built-in rhythm player with editor.
PC editor and librarian.
built-in mic input with volume and reverb.
top-side EQ controls.
16 part performances (with an editor that will help you create them).

Workarounds:
I use my Zoom R24 for recording vocals
I can use the Zoom or external drum app or machine for rhythms
I need to learn how to create arpeggiator patterns in MIDI in an external program (Logic?)

Everything else is a shame they didn't carry over from the older models like the Stage or Gi. Seems they could at least add the Arp editor/creator to a system update and make us a full PC editor/librarian.

All in all, I'm still sticking with it because it sounds so good!
You are perfectly right flying ace!
They should have kept a few "goodies" from the previous models, specially the Editable Drum Patterns (that I also miss from my Fantom Xa...), ARP creator and the most important (IMO), Librarian.

The integra is not a JP-50, but (almost) perfectly capable of simulating the JP-50 LiveSets with its 16 Part very flexible structure, and it has all the PCM sounds I had on the Fantom and enables me to create endless Patches with it.

Regarding the things that you miss from the Juno-Stage, fortunately I could afford to buy a Yamaha MOXF that has all of that and a bit more like the incredibly powerful 4x Simultaneous ARPeggiators with 6 Variations on each performance voice, very complete 2x8 Insert Effects, very user friendly sequencer, and with 95€ more we get a very powerful John Melas Tools, that gives us A Voice mode Editor, a Performance mode Editor, a Mix mode Editor, a Master mode Editor and a Total Librarian which gives all flexibility to store/create our souns, performances, Mixes and Masters very very easily. Well but this is not a MOXF thread...lol

I hope you take the best from your new "baby"
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I'm guessing a yamaha will be a nice complement to my JP50 someday after this one is paid off. The two together should provide quite a lot. I keep getting recommended to buy a MOXF since I started down this path, and it looks like that might be the next thing... so get rid of the Juno Stage (I JUST BOUGHT!) first, then pay off this very affordable used JP50, then see where we are! :)

Thanks!
troggg

Post by troggg »

Similar story here, wasn't looking for one, saw one on clearance at Guitar Center -- although mine wasn't even dusty -- at an insane price for a new instrument and the rest was history.

As always, we can dwell on what's not there or appreciate what is ... or both!

I have really underused mine since there has been an unexpected reunion and extensive recording with my mostly guitar band. But its time is coming. The J50's sort of like an intercontinental ballistic missile ... it's in its silo, just waiting for an appropriate time to be launched.

Welcome to the board and the forum!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

troggg wrote:...J50's sort of like an intercontinental ballistic missile ... it's in its silo, just waiting for an appropriate time to be launched....

Love that! ha ha!
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

flyingace wrote:I'm guessing a yamaha will be a nice complement to my JP50 someday after this one is paid off. The two together should provide quite a lot. I keep getting recommended to buy a MOXF since I started down this path, and it looks like that might be the next thing...
I'd like to upgrade to an MOXF, but for now this will do me just fine. :)

Actually, these are the only two hardware instruments I have set up any more... I just use them along with Omnisphere and Alchemy. What more could I need? (An Integra-7, that's what I need. Ha.)

flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Nice, looks like a great setup and I agree, I'm sure the MOX6 would be plenty for my needs and I should be able to find one for a decent price on the used market by the end of the year when I can purchase another board! Thanks for sharing!
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

Hey Keybdwizrd you can probably help me here.

I just got an MOXF6 to go with my Kronos for live use but got rid after 4 weeks because I couldn't get used to the very light action.

As I assume that the action on the MOX6 is the same, how does the Jupiter 50 compare?
If it's a bit heavier than the MOX I might get one.

I live too far away from a shop where I can try one so any help would be much appreciated.