Use Cutoff/Resonance knobs to control softsynths??

Forum for JUPITER-50
Keybdwizrd

Use Cutoff/Resonance knobs to control softsynths??

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Do the Cutoff and Resonance knobs on the J-50 transmit any cc data? I am using my J-50 to play Diva, and would like to use these knobs to control the softsynth, but can't seem to make it happen. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Keybdwizrd

Re: Use Cutoff/Resonance knobs to control softsynths??

Post by Keybdwizrd »

Okay, so using a little MIDI monitor program, I found out that the cutoff and resonance knobs on the J-50 send sysex and not cc.

So, always being resourceful, I found an app called MIDI Designer (http://mididesigner.com/) for my iPad, and created my own knobs (nice and big ones, at that), that send the appropriate cc messages to Diva, running on my iMac. Works great!

flyingace

Post by flyingace »

That's really cool! I'll have to go check out that app!
Keybdwizrd

Post by Keybdwizrd »

flyingace wrote:That's really cool! I'll have to go check out that app!
There are several apps that allow you to create things like this - perhaps Lemur is the most well-known. But this one has a free version, so you can try it and see if you can figure it out first. The free version puts a big ad banner across the screen, so I ultimately paid the $ to get rid of that.

It basically allows you to design and build your own MIDI control surfaces. You add knobs and sliders - assign things like MIDI cc numbers to them - determine the size, add a label, etc. I guess it will supposedly work via Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure how that works. I plugged in my iRig MIDI connector and it worked just fine.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

The wifi adapter works really well with the JP editor, so I'm sure it would work with these as well, but don't know for sure