Question from a potential new user

Forum for JUPITER-50
progg

Question from a potential new user

Post by progg »

Hi there,

I've been considering getting JP 50 for awhile, but I couldn't find answers of the following important (to me) things:

- could the sub outs be used for routing sounds from the factory/user patches. I'd like to rout the organ presets, switching off their effects and using my Neo Ventilator II;

- could the Axial Integra Packs be read/used in the JP 50?

Thanks!
kimsnarf

Re: Question from a potential new user

Post by kimsnarf »

You can select which parts to send to the sub outs, but not which effects. You have to turn off the effects in the patch first. I'm not entirely sure.

The Jupiters can't read the Integra sound files (and vice versa), but instead have their own sound files on Axial. However, the synth engine is similar, so you can probably approximate most Integra tones by looking at the patch settings in an Integra editor. But the Integra has more waveforms.
progg

Post by progg »

Thank you for your answer!
progg

Post by progg »

Well, I just had to check the manual. And the answer of my sub outs routing question, sadly, is No.
You can send Upper, Lower or Solo Part, but not any individual Tone, Live Set or Registration. You can also send there the USB audio or the metronome, which is handy when using backing tracks and live drummer, but then again you don't get any specific controls for the song player (dedicated Volume, EQ..). So I guess Jp50 could hardly be the one and only performance synth you will need on stage...
troggg

Post by troggg »

It's a great board if you can get it for the right price -- like under $1,000 and hopefully more like around $750. It's missing a couple of niceties as you found out. And it's really hard to connect with other knowledgeable users, this site is not exactly happening and Roland doesn't care about it. On the plus side, do not underestimate just how good the keyboard feels and the amount of useable onboard sounds in just about every conceivable genre. It's been great for me, but I'm a guitar player first.

Also keep in mind that some software programs, like Studio One which I use, seem to feel that hardware keyboards are dinosaurs ... and make it much easier to deal with VSTs than onboard sounds.

Once again, it's all about the price for this board. You get the right deal, it's a beautiful board. For "real money," I'd look elsewhere.
sterling17

Post by sterling17 »

A used Jupiter 50 for around $1000 is more the reality. It's a really nice synth. With the iPad programmer app, you can really get under the hood quickly to edit the tones. Manual is by far the most useless waste of trees I've ever been forced to read. There are some very useful Youtube tutorials of Scott Tibbs and Steve Fortner providing some tips that you cannot for the life of you find in the manual. As far as online support groups for the Jupiter 50; this one's woefully an internet qhost town. A great majority, if not all of any questions you may post will go unanswered. Previously, I had a Korg Kronos, which always had me posting on that forum. I would get no less than a half dozen replies within a period of two hours or less. For that reason alone, I regret selling it for the Jupiter.
If any of that doesn't scare you off, take the plunge and have fun!
troggg

Post by troggg »

sterling17 wrote:A used Jupiter 50 for around $1000 is more the reality. It's a really nice synth. With the iPad programmer app, you can really get under the hood quickly to edit the tones. Manual is by far the most useless waste of trees I've ever been forced to read. There are some very useful Youtube tutorials of Scott Tibbs and Steve Fortner providing some tips that you cannot for the life of you find in the manual. As far as online support groups for the Jupiter 50; this one's woefully an internet qhost town. A great majority, if not all of any questions you may post will go unanswered. Previously, I had a Korg Kronos, which always had me posting on that forum. I would get no less than a half dozen replies within a period of two hours or less. For that reason alone, I regret selling it for the Jupiter.
If any of that doesn't scare you off, take the plunge and have fun!
I paid $1,000 for mine 3 years ago, and the board has no buzz whatsoever, so I don't think my target price of $750 is unrealistic. You are of course right about Korg being much more communicative and much more supportive. The manual is also hideous as you point out. What's great about the Jupiter 50 is that it just doesn't feel like a cheap plastic toy even though it doesn't weigh that much and it loads in about 12 seconds. It looks great and it feels great, which counts for something.

How hard would it be for Roland to hire a support person to cruise this site a couple of times a month? Uh, not very ... but do they? Why no.

Perhaps it makes more sense to buy something like a Nektar Panarama controller and some nice software sounds. But if someone has to have a hardware synth/controller or just plains wants one, doesn't care about weighted keys, and doesn't have all the money in the world to spend, you'll have a lot of firepower with the 50 if as I've already preached you can get a deal on it. And fine instruments as ignored as this one tend to sell for good deals if you have the time to be patient.
Mahobe

Post by Mahobe »

No, you won't find ir flor 750. 1100 at best. Just check eBay.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Dude check the eBay sold listings. Three sold for $810 and less in the last few months. A
Metaphasic

Post by Metaphasic »

The JP50 is a great synth. But a lot depends on how and what you use it for. Considering that a single tone (out of six) completely replaced my vintage JP, it is a god send. Of course, all I use it for are custom analog sounds. I even turn off velocity sensitivity so feels and reacts like my old true analog units.

I do not use the synth edit app as I do not have an iPad. I just go straight to ProEdit and have at it, because everything is there in a spreadsheet like format. Let me ask though... does the Synth Edit app expose special settings like "Analog Feel"? I haven't seen it in any of the demos. If it does, I might get it.