External Parts and Song Player

Forum for JUPITER-50
Metaphasic

External Parts and Song Player

Post by Metaphasic »

Hello everybody. I got my JP-50 a few months ago and love it, but I have a question. Here is the scenario.

I have a midi file in the song player. It has two tracks. Drums are on channel 10 and Bass is on channel 9.

I have a kit assigned to lower and a bass assigned to upper. Both parts are full keyboard range (non split).

I want them to respond to the midi file, but not keyboard input. I know this might involve the use of the external part feature, but I am unsure how to do this.

1) Can two parts be set to external, or just one?
2) Do they even need to be set to external to accomplish what I want.
3) What settings do I need to change in the registration and / or live set to make this work?

Thanks in advance.
moogi

Re: External Parts and Song Player

Post by moogi »

I don't know, if I understood your question, but the song player is for wav-files only, not midifiles. If you want to play midi-files, you have to use an external sequencer (connected via usb or via midi-interface). You have the possibility to assign three channels (default settings: Percussion 4, Solo 3, Upper 1). These settings can be changed, of course, but it's easier to change the channel-settings in the sequencer-application.
Metaphasic

Re: External Parts and Song Player

Post by Metaphasic »

Oh! Well that actually simplifies things a bit. I can record each part in SONAR and then export. At least then, I don't have to worry about how many voices it's using. lol.

Thanks!