Help with adjusting sounds

Forum for JUPITER-50
K.Peters

Help with adjusting sounds

Post by K.Peters »

Hello!

I've had this Jupiter-50 for a year and a half, and I love it for the most part. I do the keyboards at our little church, and the keyboard for the most part is perfect for my needs.

I've used the layering and split options and have tons of settings saved, etc... but when it comes to actually adjusting a particular sound, I'm kind of lost. I'm hoping maybe someone here can help?

FIRST QUESTION:
I cannot seem to figure out is how to adjust the length of a note. I do understand how the cut-off knob works, but what I want to adjust is beyond that. I know the keyboard is capable of it because different notes have different lengths... and in a few cases, the same sound has different lengths in different pre-installed Live Sets. Examples:

A. Some of the preset sounds/settings "sustain" even when the sustain pedal is not pressed.
B. Others, if the sustain pedal is pressed, will hold indefinitely until the pedal is released.
C. And some, if the sustain pedal is pressed, will fade gradually, like an acoustic piano acts when the sustain pedal is pressed, but let up immediately when the sustain is released. This is the desired action that I typically want.

Which settings adjust this? How can I take a Strings sound that currently fits B above and change it to C? Is there detailed directions somewhere? If not, can somehow tell me how to do it?

Here's an example:
As it is right now a basic setting with piano layered with strings will allow the piano sounds to fade as a real piano does, but the strings are held indefinitely. I instinctively want to let up on the sustain every time I changed chords. But sometimes the strings grow too much, if I'm playing in the same chord for a length of time. More importantly, when the song ends, I want the sound to fade out. I have to manually turn the volume down with the knob, then jump it back up for the next song... which REALLY inconvenient to have to do all the time! I just want the darn strings to fade out on their own if I'm not playing new notes! (Or guitars, or whatever sounds I'm using.)

SECOND QUESTION:
To follow with the same example... sometimes, after a measure or so, the piano sounds will be clipped. It's like only the first 1/10 of a second of the sound comes through for each note I play, and the rest of every note is cut off. If I let up on the sustain, then they'll play normal again, so I'm wondering if somehow I'm hitting the 128-polyphony max. Is that possible that quickly? I typically have the Lower set to a sound, the Solo off, and the Upper has two layers turned on. If I try to turn a third layer on, then it happens a lot more often, which also would make sense if I'm hitting the polyphony limit.

The question is... am I really hitting it that fast? 128 notes divided by 3 sounds playing at once is still 42 notes. I've actually counted how many notes I play in some of the songs when it often happens, and it seems like it's only 15-20 notes before I change chords and frequently let up on the sustain, so I don't see how I'm hitting the polyphony max so often.

To make it even more baffling, it's only the piano sounds that are ever clipped. Other songs I play with a LOT faster fingering... lots more notes in a measure, and sometimes using all three layers in the Upper plus Lower and Solo. Yet the notes are never clipped. So why wouldn't I be hitting it there?

Either way, why wouldn't it just end the older notes rather than clipping the new ones? Or is there some other explanation for this phenomena? (And a solution for how to get it to stop.)

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide!