Worth upgrading to Integra7 from loaded Fantom XR?

Forum for Integra 7
Flugelmaster

Worth upgrading to Integra7 from loaded Fantom XR?

Post by Flugelmaster »

It looks like I'm a new user, but I couldn't get in after a long absence, and had to re-register. My former name here was Riojazz.

I am very happy with my Fantom XR which was purchased about seven years ago. As a composer, I use it with Band-in-a-Box, SONAR, and notation programs. It has six SRX boards. My primary interest is sounds for small group jazz (soprano and tenor sax, flugelhorn, trombone, vibes, jazz guitar, nylon guitar, grand piano).

Would the Integra-7 be a step up, sound-wise, for me?

When I searched the forum, I did not find any relevant info except that some users are using both the Fantom and the Integra. I wonder why that is? Isn't the Integra capable of all the Fantom sounds, plus new Supernatural ones? I found only one opinion about the quality, which said the signal to noise level of the Integra was better (though I have no complaints about the noise level of the Fantom), and said the Integra has better DA converters.

Part of this inquiry is also about the fact that I want to move my production machine to Windows 8 (from 7) and stay current. I can see the beginning of trouble for the continued availability of Fantom drivers.

Thanks.
Flugelmaster

Re: Worth upgrading to Integra7 from loaded Fantom XR?

Post by Flugelmaster »

Lots of views in a week (75) but no comments? I'm surprised.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Flugelmaster wrote:It looks like I'm a new user, but I couldn't get in after a long absence, and had to re-register. My former name here was Riojazz.

I am very happy with my Fantom XR which was purchased about seven years ago. As a composer, I use it with Band-in-a-Box, SONAR, and notation programs. It has six SRX boards. My primary interest is sounds for small group jazz (soprano and tenor sax, flugelhorn, trombone, vibes, jazz guitar, nylon guitar, grand piano).

Would the Integra-7 be a step up, sound-wise, for me?

When I searched the forum, I did not find any relevant info except that some users are using both the Fantom and the Integra. I wonder why that is? Isn't the Integra capable of all the Fantom sounds, plus new Supernatural ones? I found only one opinion about the quality, which said the signal to noise level of the Integra was better (though I have no complaints about the noise level of the Fantom), and said the Integra has better DA converters.

Part of this inquiry is also about the fact that I want to move my production machine to Windows 8 (from 7) and stay current. I can see the beginning of trouble for the continued availability of Fantom drivers.

Thanks.
Welcome back to the Clan, Flugelmaster

The integra is a stock of sounds, but no Arps, no Drum Patterns, no Sampling, no Sequencer (and no keys), so it must be one of the reasons for people wanting both.

IMHO the integra is definitely a step up from the XR

1- The sounds
Having on top of the 896 Preset + 256 User PCM Tones + 14 Preset PCM Drum kits + 32 User PCM Drum kits + 256 GM2 PCM tones + 9 GM2 PCM Drum kits (derived from the XV, Fantoms, SonicCell, etc) + all the 12x SRX Expansion boards inside (although only up to 4 can be loaded at one time...) + the SuperNatural Tones:
- SN Acoustic tones (256 Preset + 256 user) - 512 SN-A
- SN Synth tones (1109 Preset+512 User) - 1621 SN-S
- SN Drum tones (26 Preset Drum Kits+ 64 User Drum Kits) - 90 Drum kits
- 6x ExSN (Expansion boards: Ethnic, Woodwind, Session, Acoustic Guitar, Brass and SFX) - 115 tones

2- Other features
- Output routing, the integra has up to 8 MONO/4x Stereo Pairs, and any Internal Part (1-16) can be routed to any OUTPUT.

- Each Part has its own MFX

- Surround (for the ones that like it)

These are the most obvious reasons to go for the integra, but I would wait for some XR users to say something about it before taking the decision.

take care
PauloF
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello there.

I recently acquired an integra to do just this and am in the throes of programming it for predominantly live use.

I have two XRs, one for use with an AX7 contains ultimate keys, platinum trax and the brass board. The other uses these boards with the addition of complete orchestra, symphonic strings and the dance board and is played from my trusty old A90, whose aftertouch is a huge advantage on synth patches!

So far, so good with the inclusion of a midi merge box. The mac editor is very useful for locating and then scrolling down sounds compared to the pull down menus on the XR editor which could get tedious. However, itis useful having the soft and bright pad categories and hard and soft leads on the XR as there are hundreds to scroll through on the Integra and I use a lot if these sounds

I don't miss the lack of PCM editing facilities on the Integra editor as I mostly used the offset function, but I can see this being a distinct disadvantage should I want to reach deeper. However, I do miss the ability to cascade the effects as per the XR and edit their parameters on the Mac.

The upside is playing the piano sounds from the A90 and the VA synth engine which emulates such sounds IMHO far more plausibly than the XR and of course, can be edited on the Mac.

In conclusion, I think I made the right decision as I felt I need something more varied than the XR and the Integra with the A90, gives me an approximation of an 88 note version of my JP80......something my local roland dealer and I think they should have offered as an alternative to the 76 note version. Imagine the cost though!

Hope this helps.
Flugelmaster

Post by Flugelmaster »

Thank you both. Yes, very helpful info.

I only use the Fantom XR with a sequencer, and would do the same with the Integra-7. Thus I don't think any of the disadvantages mentioned in the first reply would be a problem.

Again, many thanks for these opinions.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Flugelmaster wrote:Thank you both. Yes, very helpful info.

I only use the Fantom XR with a sequencer, and would do the same with the Integra-7. Thus I don't think any of the disadvantages mentioned in the first reply would be a problem.

Again, many thanks for these opinions.
Apart from the ones I mentioned on my previous post, two other major advantages of the Integra over the XR are:
- 64 x StudioSets that can be used as registrations - very easily selected by MIDI
- Loading any combination of 4 SRX/ExSN expansion boards - also very easily selected by MIDI

;-)
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Although, not wishing to be contrary, the XR has 64 performances, the same as the Integra, but in the XR can be increased by using the card slot and can be accessed with a midi programme change message. As far as I can gather, you would have to load extra studio sets from a USB stick.
Flugelmaster

Post by Flugelmaster »

Good point, thank you. I have never needed to use the card slot in the Fantom, and likely would be happy with the built-in sounds of the Integra as well. For the instruments I use, a small jazz group, maybe with strings, I have never had to try making my own sounds.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Although, not wishing to be contrary, the XR has 64 performances, the same as the Integra, but in the XR can be increased by using the card slot and can be accessed with a midi programme change message. As far as I can gather, you would have to load extra studio sets from a USB stick.
true...performances on the Fantoms are now StudioSets on the Integra/FA's
I did not recall that the XR had such an expansion capability...

well on the integra you also can MIDI select which StudioSet/Part and which 4 SRX/ExSN slots are to be used
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Indeed, although I must admit never going beyond 64 performances. The data card works in a similar fashion to the cards in the XV, JDs etc.