Controller Dilema: Roland A-800pro or Yamaha MOXF6 w/ C7.5

Forum for Integra 7
electrow

Controller Dilema: Roland A-800pro or Yamaha MOXF6 w/ C7.5

Post by electrow »

Basically my setup: Cubase 7.5, Win7 64bit , Roland Integra7, V-synthGT, (replacing Roland A-88 controller), a few MoogerFoogers, Moog Sub37 (coming soon), Steinberg CMC Series, CC121, Maschine Studio NI Komplete & other plugins.
Since the A-88 doesn't figure into my new studio space and I don't really need the weighted keys for what I'm doing, I've been trying to decide between the A800 or MOFX6. I'm really focused on the controller aspect with Cubase 7.5 and the Integra 7. With that in mind how do these two compare?
JeffB63

Re: Controller Dilema: Roland A-800pro or Yamaha MOXF6 w/ C7

Post by JeffB63 »

I can't help you with the A800-Pro but I had an MOXF6 and it had the lightest, flimsiest feeling keybed I've ever experienced.
It sounded great but I couldn't live with that keybed and had to get rid of it after only 3 weeks.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I would think that the A-800pro would be a better choice for you given that it is a controller with lots of assignable sliders (9), knobs and pads. Why is it that you're considering the MOXF6? It does offer a pretty good sound set and the USB audio is quite convenient on the MOXF6 (I have a MOX6) but you said you just wanted a controller. Are you considering any other controllers?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

electrow wrote:Basically my setup: Cubase 7.5, Win7 64bit , Roland Integra7, V-synthGT, (replacing Roland A-88 controller), a few MoogerFoogers, Moog Sub37 (coming soon), Steinberg CMC Series, CC121, Maschine Studio NI Komplete & other plugins.
Since the A-88 doesn't figure into my new studio space and I don't really need the weighted keys for what I'm doing, I've been trying to decide between the A800 or MOFX6. I'm really focused on the controller aspect with Cubase 7.5 and the Integra 7. With that in mind how do these two compare?
Well, I own both and surely can give u an opinion. I'll do it from home later as I'm answering from the iPhone at lunch time, which is not suitable at all ;-)
electrow

Post by electrow »

howardS wrote:I would think that the A-800pro would be a better choice for you given that it is a controller with lots of assignable sliders (9), knobs and pads. Why is it that you're considering the MOXF6? It does offer a pretty good sound set and the USB audio is quite convenient on the MOXF6 (I have a MOX6) but you said you just wanted a controller. Are you considering any other controllers?
As I mentioned In my initial post I'm looking for integration with the Integra and Cubase both. I bought the A-88 after I got Integra, thinking that would be the best for the I7. In my case it isn't ( wonderful action , deserving of a real keyboard player of which I'm not). The MOXF seems to integrate well from what I've read on line and skimming the manuals. It was actually PauloF who perked my interest in the A800 with a post on mapping the I7. I'm glad he is going to respond since he has experience with both. That said I just haven't found much as on the A800 and if it integrates with Cubase as well as the MOXF.

When I was using a Kurz K2600s as my main controller, I tried supplementing it with Nektar's Panorama which focused on Cubase. Without going in to details, I was disappointed and returned it. I had a Novation MK 2 and found it to be a clumsy controller.

As to the MOXF workstation functions, although not my main focus, I see it as benefit to incorporate slowly over time - if I go that route.

BTW as I dig into my V-synth GT (wonderfully crazy insane sounds) I think it would have made a great controller had Roland added quickly accessible control templates.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hi electrow,

My opinion on the best controller for the I7, if I may:

1- MOXF6:

The MOXF6 is an awesome Synth / Workstation with very powerful MIDI Controller capabilities:
- MASTER MODE: can control simultaneously up to 4x Zones (4 MIDI channels) each one with its own Parameters that can control both the internal Tone Generator or External Devices like the I7 (Octave, Transpose, Note Limit, Program Change , Pitch Bend , Mod Wheel, Foot Controller 1, Sustain, Foot Switch, Knobs, Volume/Expression, Pan). This is particularly dedicated to manage Internal Sets or to Control External MIDI Hardware.

- Remote Mode: This is a mode for controlling DAWs (Presets for CUBASE, LogicPro, Digital Performer and Sonar). This mode is also very powerful, containing up to 50 Templates per DAW, that can be all Edited via the Remote Editor (one of the packages that comes with he MOXF).

Summary:
I bought the MOXF because of its 4x simultaneous Arpeggiators, Editable Voice/Performance, MIX/Master and Remote Modes and the very easy to use Sequencer, in order to be my All-in-One synth from where I would control everything else in what MIDI Control is concerned, but ended up not using it for MIDI Control at all despite its powerful capabilities, maybe due to lack of time to explore it in those sections (or just because I didn't need it yet).

2- A-800 PRO

Dedicated MIDI Keyboard Controller, with the following features:
- Velocity-sensitive 61 keys with channel aftertouch
- MIDI IN/OUT 5 PIN connectors
- Full Dual MIDI Channel Controller (Upper, Lower, Split and Dual modes)
- MIDI MERGE Function (not all controllers have this)
- 45 assignable controls: knobs, sliders, buttons, transport and more
- 8 Dynamic Pads for finger drumming and MIDI triggering (with Velocity and Aftertouch)
- Roland type - Sure-grip Pitch Bend/Modulation Stick
- Sustain/Expression/Control pedal Inputs
- USB Bus Powered — no AC adaptor required (AC adaptor is an optional)
- Works with any DAW on Mac or PC

In my own case, the A-800 PRO is the one of the Controllers that I use for controlling the i7 and the V-Synth XT (together with an older brother, the PCR-500, a 49 Key Dual channel, MIDI Merge and Aftertouch controller).

I use them this way:

A-800 PRO:

Assignable Buttons (Keyboard):
0 - Transpose -1
1 - Transpose 0
2 - Transpose +1
3 - Transpose +2

Assignable buttons:
L1- Bass Slap (MIDI ch 9)
L2- Bass Harmonics (MIDI ch 9)
L3- Guitar MUTE (MIDI ch 2)
L4- Guitar Harmonics (MIDI ch 2)
L5- STOP Drums
L6- Start Drums
L7- Strum Mode (MIDI ch 2)
L8- Variation 3 (MIDI ch 2)
L9- Variation 4 (MIDI ch 2)

Rotary Encoders:
R1- Cutoff (MIDI ch 8)
R2- Resonance (MIDI ch 8)
R3- Reverb (MIDI ch 2)
R4- Chorus (MIDI ch 2)
R5- Attack Time (MIDI ch 2)
R6- Noise Level (MIDI ch 2)
R7- Strum Speed (MIDI ch 2)
R8- Growl Sensitivity (MIDI ch 2)
R9- PAN (MIDI ch 2)

Sliders:
S1- Volume MIDI ch 1
S2- Volume MIDI ch 2
S3- Volume MIDI ch 3
S4- Volume MIDI ch 4
S5- Volume MIDI ch 5
S6- Volume MIDI ch 6
S7- Volume MIDI ch 7
S8- Volume MIDI ch 8
S9- Volume MIDI ch 9

Dynamic Pad:
A1-A8 - Drum Pads

PCR-500 (Expansion of the A-800 PRO)

Rotary Encoders:
R1- Cutoff (MIDI ch 6)
R2- Resonance (MIDI ch 6)
R3- Reverb (MIDI ch 6)
R4- Chorus (MIDI ch 6)
R5- Attack Time (MIDI ch 6)
R6- Sustain (MIDI ch 6)
R7- Decay (MIDI ch 6)
R8- Release (MIDI ch 6)
R9- Portamento Time (MIDI ch 6)

A1-
A2-
A3-
A4-
A5- i7 Expansion Slot 1 Load
A6- i7 Expansion Slot 2 Load
A7- i7 Expansion Slot 3 Load
A8- i7 Expansion Slot 4 Load
A9- INC Value (PC)
B1- Transpose -1
B2- Transpose 0
B3- Transpose +1
B4- Transpose +2
B5- i7 Expansion Slot Clear
B6- i7 Expansion 4x Slots Default Load
B7- i7 StudioSet 22
B8-
B9- DEC Value (PC)

H1/H2 - CC81/CC82
C1- Mute
C2-
C3- Portamento On/Off

Sliders:
S1- Volume MIDI ch 1
S2- Volume MIDI ch 10
S3- Volume MIDI ch 11
S4- Volume MIDI ch 12
S5- Volume MIDI ch 13
S6- Volume MIDI ch 14
S7- Volume MIDI ch 15
S8- Volume MIDI ch 16
S9- i7 StudioSet Select

Note: I use normally a Fixed MIDI Channel per instrument, and all my StudioSets and V-Synth Part/Channel assignments work this way, for example:

Ch1 - Used to Control the V-Synth XT
Ch2 - Ac. and El. Guitars (i7)
Ch3 - Distortion Guitars (i7) - part 1 layered with Part 3
Ch4 - Strings (i7)
Ch5 - Bell Mallet (i7)
Ch6 - Solo Synths (i7 Layered with V-Synth XT)
Ch7 - VOX (i7)
Ch8 - Poly Synths (i7 Layered with V-Synth XT)
Ch9 - Bass (i7)
Ch10 - Drums (i7 Layered with DR-3)
Ch11 - Ac. Pianos (i7 Layered with V-Synth XT)
Ch12- El Pianos (i7 Layered with V-Synth XT)
Ch13 - Organs (i7)
Ch14 - [SoftSynths]
Ch15- Orchestral Strings (i7)
Ch16- Pad Scapes (i7)

Summary:
- The A-800 PRO is my main Controller for both the i-7 and the V-Synth XT
- The PCR-500, as an Extension of the A-800 PRO controls other i7 parameters and SoftSynths (iPAD and MAC based)
- The MOXF6 is only being used as another Stand-Alone Synth with occasional Layering with the i7
- As DAW MIDI Controller I use a Presonus Faderport, which is Perfect with both CUBASE AI 7 and STUDIO One 2.63

My verdict is: For immediate action and simplicity of operation, the A-800 PRO is my chosen one, with the added features of MIDI Merge, Dual Channel Control and Aftertouch.

I hope this helps :)

Take care
PauloF
electrow

Post by electrow »

PauloF,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I really respect your opinion. As I read through your post I thought the Yamaha was the sure winner. If I understand correctly, the Yamaha has the potential to be a great controller for both the I7 & Cubase but the Roland is easier to setup right out of the box with the I7. So my choice is more immediate accessibility with the Roland Vs longer setup time withe the Yamaha. If my interpretation is incorrect , please let me know.

Again thank you for your advice.
howardS

Post by howardS »

PauloF, uhm...wow! Awesome setup. Very impressive mapping of the A-800pro.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

electrow wrote:PauloF,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I really respect your opinion. As I read through your post I thought the Yamaha was the sure winner. If I understand correctly, the Yamaha has the potential to be a great controller for both the I7 & Cubase but the Roland is easier to setup right out of the box with the I7. So my choice is more immediate accessibility with the Roland Vs longer setup time withe the Yamaha. If my interpretation is incorrect , please let me know.

You got it 100% correct !!
Botuur

Post by Botuur »

Summary:
- The A-800 PRO is my main Controller for both the i-7 and the V-Synth XT
- The PCR-500, as an Extension of the A-800 PRO controls other i7 parameters and SoftSynths (iPAD and MAC based)
- The MOXF6 is only being used as another Stand-Alone Synth with occasional Layering with the i7
- As DAW MIDI Controller I use a Presonus Faderport, which is Perfect with both CUBASE AI 7 and STUDIO One 2.63

My verdict is: For immediate action and simplicity of operation, the A-800 PRO is my chosen one, with the added features of MIDI Merge, Dual Channel Control and Aftertouch.

I fullt agree with PauloF

I have a A-500pro as main controllere for he i7 (it is easy with the straight midi controls)

As a 88 keys controller with 4 zones i use my ( older) M-Audio pro 88 keyboard.

Finally instead of a Moxf6 i have a Kurzweil pc361

DAW is Sonar X3 Studio with the new I7 editor

Also wireless ipad 4 to i 7 connection with i7 editor for quick set changes

All connected to the I7
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

PauloF wrote:

For the sake of fairness Just need to add that the MOXF is much better than I thought, and that is the main reason I'm not using it as a controller ( or maybe just occasionally when layering it's parts with the i7's an And V-Synth's). So I'm using it in pair with the i7. What a awesome combination!!!
Tino64

Post by Tino64 »

PauloF wrote:
PauloF wrote:

For the sake of fairness Just need to add that the MOXF is much better than I thought, and that is the main reason I'm not using it as a controller ( or maybe just occasionally when layering it's parts with the i7's an And V-Synth's). So I'm using it in pair with the i7. What a awesome combination!!!
Yeah I have an I7 and an MOXF they seem to be made for each other:)
electrow

Post by electrow »

A surprising contender which I'm leaning quite strongly towards is the Akai MPK261. Less than half the price of the MOXF61. It seems a little more versatile than the A800 and it has computer keyboard command programming. As this is relatively new I imagine those who have experience with it, the Integra and Cubase is a long shot.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

electrow wrote:A surprising contender which I'm leaning quite strongly towards is the Akai MPK261. Less than half the price of the MOXF61. It seems a little more versatile than the A800 and it has computer keyboard command programming. As this is relatively new I imagine those who have experience with it, the Integra and Cubase is a long shot.
Yes, Akai MPK Series are maybe the best controllers around, and maybe 1/2 the price of a MOXF6, but you can't compare them really as the MOXF6 is a full blown music workstation.

However, if you are looking for control, go for a A-800 Pro or a Akai MPK provided you can afford it!!!
If I had the money I would go for a AKAI MPK myself, but I'm very happy with the PCR-500 and the A-800 PRO for the time being. :-)
electrow

Post by electrow »

Thanks Paulo,

As I mentioned in my initial post,controller comparability with the I7 & Cubase is the foremost consideration.I was really attracted to the vst integration which the MOXF offers, but I really didn't want another workstation to learn. I'm trying an experiment of self-imposed discipline of mainly working OTB with hands on gear (knobs and sliders) and limiting myself to just a few vst plug-ins and shelving the rest for now.