DEPECHE MODE PATCH

Forum for Integra 7
DEVO-UK

DEPECHE MODE PATCH

Post by DEVO-UK »

Please please help

I have been racking my brains sifting through the patches trying to find something close to the big riff in 'A Question Of Time' by Depeche Mode.

I know it's played over two octaves, but can I find it? No.
PauloF

Re: DEPECHE MODE PATCH

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Please please help

I have been racking my brains sifting through the patches trying to find something close to the big riff in 'A Question Of Time' by Depeche Mode.

I know it's played over two octaves, but can I find it? No.
Depeche Mode don't use dedicated synths. They use Muse Receptor machines (dedicated players running thousands of Plug-ins), so that is a bit difficult to replicate...
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

PauloF wrote:…They use Muse Receptor machines (dedicated players running thousands of Plug-ins)…
My dear Paulo, this song dates from 1986. I do not think they were using plug-ins.

You see, it is a question of time.

PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Grammar Wombat wrote:
PauloF wrote:…They use Muse Receptor machines (dedicated players running thousands of Plug-ins)…
My dear Paulo, this song dates from 1986. I do not think they were using plug-ins.

You see, it is a question of time.

No they didn't (back in 1986), but now they do ONLY use plug-ins as for them the Synths aree "too clumsy" and not very flexible...(except a RD-700 and a Virus used in several songs by one of their keyboardists, I wonder why...) ;-D
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Thanks guys

My query was if anyone had come across a patch that was similar. I've identified one, but there may be one closer.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Thanks guys

My query was if anyone had come across a patch that was similar. I've identified one, but there may be one closer.
Hi DEVO-UK, we were not of much help here, I know :-)
I have checked this old recording. Tell me the aprox time where the sound you're looking for is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLorjNt-7D4
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

DEVO-UK wrote:Thanks guys

There's your clue right there. Employing the new-fangled, multi-talented and faceted edit mode, wrestle a similar patch to the ground. Polish it like a prized turd. Gild the lily. Indulge in the perfunctory and semi-superfluous minutia that defines the MIDI-hardware tweaking propellorhead's modulus operetta... I mean, modus operandi.

One could write a patch from the ground up far more quickly than through the perusal of thousands of patches across multiple synths or VIs. If you've found something close, to quote Mary Poppins, "A job begun is a job half done".

Hope this helps, mate.
Nicky
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Cor Blimey Mary Popp'ns, your eloquence has brightened up a dull bank jolly 'oliday so it has.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Cor Blimey Mary Popp'ns, your eloquence has brightened up a dull bank jolly 'oliday so it has.
C'mon guys...
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Thanks Paulo

It's the riff at 00:46 to 00:59
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks TJ.

Sorry Paulo.

Good luck Devo.

'Night John Boy.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

That patch came from the Emulator III on the original recording remember seeing something with Alan Wilder talking about certain Synths used in some of their popular songs. Might be easier to get the UVI Emulator VST :)