GI-20 and Integra

Forum for Integra 7
RNLytton

GI-20 and Integra

Post by RNLytton »

I’m new to MIDI. I’m trying to control my Integra 7 using a Roland GI-20 GK-MIDI interface.

Basically I’d like to have my favorite Integra sounds "assigned to" the GI-20 patches so I can cycle through them using the up/down buttons on my GK synth pickup.

Currently the up/down buttons just cycle through ALL of the Integra preset patches. I can’t seem to isolate and cycle through just the ones I want.

Any help or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.
Macska

Re: GI-20 and Integra

Post by Macska »

I use the GI-20 with my Integra often, I even had a show with it last weekend where I used some splits for synth strings and bells in a Christmas production! The two units work great together once you get them figured out.

I'll have to look at my setup again to get all the details for you, but here's what I remember now-

You need to set up Program change information for the Integra's MSB and LSB data in each GI-20 patch. So you will create a GI-20 patch for each studio set or Integra patch you want to use.

This is nice because when playing with a GK pickup (or the Godin multiac, as I use) each type of sound will need its own settings for reading how you play.

The downside to this is is you are limited with the GI-20 to I think 50 patches.

The GK should be set up to send Patch Up/Down messages to the GI-20. Then every patch in your GI will have its own corresponding Integra patch to change together, as if they were one unit. If you need more flexibility than that for changing patches, you may look into a midi foot controller that can send and store more data directly to the Integra. Sadly this means you also would need a midi merger or computer to send both the GI-20 and midi foot controller data to the integra.

I have only a few studio sets I cycle through for my synth guitar stuff, usually I just plug the GI to the computer and control the Integra with the front panel, but the power to do it all on stage without a computer is there.
RNLytton

Post by RNLytton »

Thanks Macska, this sounds like just what I need. Now to Google what MSB and LSB are. I'll dig into it and see what happens...
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

You will also need to download the midi implementation pdf file from Roland.
CC (control change) are not very hard to deal with but SySex (System exclusive) are harder to use. You may wish to start with something simple if your not familiar with Midi.

(MSB: most significant byte, LSB: Least significant byte)

LA
RNLytton

Post by RNLytton »

Yes! I got it to work. Thanks y'all!!!
Macska

Post by Macska »

Awesome! Wish I had been more helpful with the details. PM me if you ever want to exchange synth guitar tips, there is a whole world of technique you can get into there.

Here's one of my favorite Synth Guitar performances- http://youtu.be/zwv2G4XsqY4

Though Meola doesn't experiment with string splits and the deeper side of patch programming, you have to admire how his perfect technique shows how well a midi guitar can work!