Pitch bend problems

Forum for Integra 7
robbandjill

Pitch bend problems

Post by robbandjill »

I use cubase to edit midifiles. If I play a midi file with pitch bend it plays ok. If I then play another midifile with pitch bend info the bends go completely out of tune. If I turn the Integra off and back on the file then plays ok. All my files have control reset 121 at the start. Is there a control message that has the same effect as turning the Integra off and back on, cos if there is that would be a work around.

Cheers

Robb
BBach

Re: Pitch bend problems

Post by BBach »

There is a control message that changes the pitch bend range, which is probably embedded in one of your sequences. I'm not currently by my stuff and cannot remember if it is a CC or sysex message. For instance, I sometimes use a Vg-99 guitar to midi controller that is fixed at a pitch end range of +/- 12. Most synth patches are programmed with a PB range of+/- 2. When I invoke a Vg-99 patch that is connected to an external synth, it automatically changes the PB range of the synth patch to +/- 12 via either a CC or sysex message. I'm guessing your problem has something to do with this type of message.
BBach

Post by BBach »

The CC numbers involved are CC 100, 101, and 6. Google midi pitch bend range for specific info.
robbandjill

Post by robbandjill »

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated.

I edit all the midifiles i use. Master volume, velocities, program changes etc....

If I acquire a midi file/sequence I always delete any sysex entries and add msb, lsb and program change if needed. Also other CC's like master volume reverb ect...

I have checked my midi sequences and there are no CC's numbered 6, 100, 101 or 106 and there any no sysex entries. I have had the same pitch bend problems in the past using different equipment. (A Roland sound canvas, controlled by a MDF2 midi datafiler.
My setup is Cubase for editing and creating sequences/Gallilleo midifile player for stage use/ Integra 7 as only sound source.
I get this pitch bend problem both playing the files in cubase connected to the integra and also using my gallileo midifile player connected to the Integra.

It's as if once a midifile with pitch bend instructions is played using the Integra (this plays fine) and then 50% of the time if I play another file, again with pitch bend info on it this file then plays the pitch bend instructions out of tune on the bends. This occurs even if the pitch bend info on the first midi file is on a different midi channel than on the second midi file (the one that goes pear shaped) The only way to get the other file to play pitch bend info correctly is to turn off the Integra.

It's as if the pitch bend info from any file that is played first, sets the Integra's pitch bend engine to use that file correctly, but when another file with pitch bend info is played the pitch bend engine is not in a default state and the pitch bends for any subsequent midifiles are out of tune. the only way to get these files tp play correctly is to restart the Integra.

This is doin' my head in. As i use the files for live performance I have to remove all pitch bend info from my midifiles. This makes instruments like, violin, flute and trumpets less realistic.
BBach

Post by BBach »

Do you use either the K_Take or Roland Editing software ? I usually save a file for each song. The tone PB range can be overridden on the part main page. If you have saved a tone, but are somehow retaining the same part view, a PB range discrepancy could occur. Do you use many different PB ranges ? If so, maybe changing the bend range in the pitch section of the Part View to "Tone" might solve your problem. That way, you can use same file and just embed program changes in your sequence.
robbandjill

Post by robbandjill »

I've been googling the CC's you mentioned and it seems that these have influence on pitch bend range.

Could I use

CC100, CC101, CC6 TO reset the pitchbend rangeof the Integra to it's default state bend range. The bends I am hearing when it goes pear shaped seem to go up at least 4-6 octaves, very high pitched, maybe the bend range needs to be reset.

How would I do this using the above CC's on the integra, I could place these at the start of each file but I ain't sure what values to enter in the CC's

Cheers

Robb
BBach

Post by BBach »

You shouldn't have to send those CCs at the beginning of each song. Just a review of the integra architecture (I apologize if this is all stuff you already know). At the top of the hierarchy is the studio set, which contains the 16 individual parts. Each part is assigned a tone (patch) and by default, the part number corresponds to the midi channel that controls it. This can be changed, but is usually the best (less confusing) way to leave it. The Part, is then assigned a type ( Sn acoustic, SN Drums, SN synth, PCM, SRX, etc.). The Tone(patch) is one of these types and has its PB range as a Tone parameter. This PB range parameter can be changed inside the Part section, essentially overriding the PB range programmed into the Tone. To further complicate matters, in some of the SN Acoustic patches, the pitch bend controller steps through a scale (also assigned in the part view) instead of a smooth continuous pitch change). I would suggest that you configure a studio set that has all of its 16 parts PB range set to "Tone" and save it titled something like "live set". Now as you play each sequence, identify the parts that sound screwy. Edit the PB range of the tone itself until it sounds right and save the edited tone as a new tone to a different location(named so you can recognize it as the tone you want for that song.) Now change the patch change number at the beginning of the sequence to correspond to the new properly sounding part. All should be well. You should'nt have to change many patches because the vast majority of controllers and tones are set to +/- 2.