Ridiculously embarrassing question re: Audio Output

Forum for Integra 7
Casablanca

Ridiculously embarrassing question re: Audio Output

Post by Casablanca »

Very basic set up: Sonar DAW on Win7 PC to Integra via USB. Integra output A/B to powered (Mackie) speakers.
Am I supposed to be able to play audio (wav files within Sonar) directly through the I7?
Midi plays fine and I can see the audio output meters functioning normally in Sonar but no wav/audio output?
Driver is set to Vender (Midi&Audio)
I do NOT have an (enabled) soundcard in my PC - I'm using a Focusrite 2i4 as external sound (TV, MP3 etc) through separate speakers. Surely I don't have to route my I7 through the Focusrite?
What am I doing wrong!? Thanks for any insight.
Macska

Re: Ridiculously embarrassing question re: Audio Output

Post by Macska »

If you want to send your DAW audio from the Integra to the speakers you have 3 options-

1. (this is what you are wanting to do) You need to set the "Audio" output setting in Sonar (edit preferences- audio) to the Integra 7. This makes the Integra your sound card and will send everything to the Integra outputs through USB. If you need more than one sound card, for example your Integra as well as the Focusrite, working with Sonar at once you will need to use ASIO4ALL, which is a software driver that allows you to use multiple sound cards with one program.

2. You can physically route the DAW output from your Focusrite into the Integra's External In jacks with 1/4 inch cables. This is what you need to do if you want to use the Focusrite to handle your audio, but you want the output to come through the speakers connected to the Integra.

3. As you stated, you can run the Integra through the Focusrite inputs, in which case you'll need to have your preferred speakers connected to the Focusrite instead.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Macska wrote:If you want to send your DAW audio from the Integra to the speakers you have 3 options-

1. (this is what you are wanting to do) You need to set the "Audio" output setting in Sonar (edit preferences- audio) to the Integra 7. This makes the Integra your sound card and will send everything to the Integra outputs through USB. If you need more than one sound card, for example your Integra as well as the Focusrite, working with Sonar at once you will need to use ASIO4ALL, which is a software driver that allows you to use multiple sound cards with one program.

2. You can physically route the DAW output from your Focusrite into the Integra's External In jacks with 1/4 inch cables. This is what you need to do if you want to use the Focusrite to handle your audio, but you want the output to come through the speakers connected to the Integra.

3. As you stated, you can run the Integra through the Focusrite inputs, in which case you'll need to have your preferred speakers connected to the Focusrite instead.
I Perfectly agree with Macska, but I would choose the option 3, as it gives more flexibility and Audio routing possibilities.
You can still connect other Audio Sources to the i-7 Inputs, but that audio would be always routed via the Audio OUTs 1/2.
Casablanca

Post by Casablanca »

Guys, thanks for your responses. Option 1 is definitely the preferred option.
I have tried all options (that I can think of or know about) to get this working. Windows output set to Integra. Sonar audio output set to Integra. Audio track in Sonar output set to Integra. I see audio playing in Sonar, I see it playing in Windows Mixer but it seems its not either not arriving at OR not leaving the Integra. There seems to be no way to monitor the audio signal after it leaves the PC.
Perhaps I am missing a 'switch' on the Integra? Incidentally, I briefly tried option 3 and still couldn't get any audio pass-through. Stumped. For now.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Casablanca wrote:Guys, thanks for your responses. Option 1 is definitely the preferred option.
I have tried all options (that I can think of or know about) to get this working. Windows output set to Integra. Sonar audio output set to Integra. Audio track in Sonar output set to Integra. I see audio playing in Sonar, I see it playing in Windows Mixer but it seems its not either not arriving at OR not leaving the Integra. There seems to be no way to monitor the audio signal after it leaves the PC.
Perhaps I am missing a 'switch' on the Integra? Incidentally, I briefly tried option 3 and still couldn't get any audio pass-through. Stumped. For now.
I don't understand why you can't have sound when using option 3, as the path is full Audio on the integra and is then up to the fucusrite to interface with the DAW via USB. There is no integra USB Audio involved...

But I agree that if you want both to act as independent AUDIO inputs to your DAW, the ASIO4ALL could be a solution to your case, provided it is stable (in my case never was, despite being tested from different Computers...).
Macska

Post by Macska »

Oh I forgot one thing!

In your settings, for EXTERNAL PART SOURCE make sure it is on USB, not the inputs. That will fix your problem!

Yeah Paulo Asio4all was so borderline every time I tried it. Like, it kind of chose how it wanted to work every time I used it. I hated it, so many people swear by it you know? It makes me feel like there is some potential for a good programmer to come in and make a lot of money with a better alternative because it would be nice to run multiple sound cards in a stable way.
Casablanca

Post by Casablanca »

Macska! You legend! That switch was all I needed. Somehow overlooked every time I tried to (con)figure it.
I'm so VERY happy and extremely grateful.
A thousand thanks. :+)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Macska wrote:Oh I forgot one thing!

In your settings, for EXTERNAL PART SOURCE make sure it is on USB, not the inputs. That will fix your problem!

Yeah Paulo Asio4all was so borderline every time I tried it. Like, it kind of chose how it wanted to work every time I used it. I hated it, so many people swear by it you know? It makes me feel like there is some potential for a good programmer to come in and make a lot of money with a better alternative because it would be nice to run multiple sound cards in a stable way.
@Macska
Actually, I now use a MiniMac as my DAW, so no more ASIO4ALL issues, as my focusrite 18i8 is more than enough for what I need, and in case there's a need for two more inputs from the Integra, I can use the OS X Aggregate Device feature, so no problems. Very stable compared with the ASIO4All (at least for me).

@Casablanca
The EXTERNAL PART SOURCE=USB made the trick!!
Good stuff, he's the Man!
Macska

Post by Macska »

Neat! I've always been curious about running a DAW on a mini pc. Like, I imagine myself taking the time to construct a compact piano stand that houses the pc and a small touch screen display around the A-88 and a korg mikro control for a home-build super-workstation.

It will never happen, but it would make for a unique performance rig. Really it would serve me no purpose other than looking cool haha.

Glad I could be of some help!
Casablanca

Post by Casablanca »

Yeah, thanks again. I can now explore further possibilities using the Focusrite as additional routing and 'thruput' options. As I tend toward film-like 'soundscapes', I like using external audio samples in my compositions for FX, weather/crowd/transport/whatever...you get my drift.
Additional thanks to PauloF for his contribution.

I just wish I got paid for enjoying myself!
Regards.