Problems choosing sounds from Integra 7

Forum for Integra 7
kubes

Problems choosing sounds from Integra 7

Post by kubes »

Hi guys.

As a complete newbie to the Integra, I am facing a setup issue with the Integra. The Midi In of the I7 is connected to the Midi Out of my Numa compact master keyboard. So far, so good. The Numa sends on Midi channel 1. And here is the problem: I am only able to play that damn piano sound which reacts to Midi channel 1. I can choose another sound in the display of the I7, but the output sound never changes, always the piano. If I tell the Numa to play on Midi channel 2, it plays strings, nothing else, Independent what the display of the I7 states. Midi channel 3 Plays an E-piano, ... All in all 16 different sounds, that's all.
I am pretty sure that this is not a big issue, but I have no idea how to solve it.

I have searched the forum as good as possible, but didn't found anything that could have answered my question. Any help is welcome.

Cheers
kubes
kubes

Re: Problems choosing sounds from Integra 7

Post by kubes »

oookay, partly solved by trial and error. The various Midi channels 1-16 of the Numa addresses the 16 parts (banks) of the I7. E.g. chosen Midi channel 5 on the Numa, I have to go to bank #5 of the I7 and then can scroll through the various sounds of this specific bank. At least this is something.

But: I would like the I7 to tell the Numa, which channel to choose. If I go to bank #7 of the I7 e.g., I would like the Numa automatically switch to Midi channel 7. Is this possible?
kubes

Post by kubes »

No idea anyone???
lol

Post by lol »

Hello, what about reading the operating manuals of your devices first, that would be a good start, don't you think?
kubes

Post by kubes »

Fantastic idea, really smart. Wish I had this inspiration before...
Sarcasm aside, I did so before asking, but if it is stated somewhere, please forgive me. I might have overlooked it and still do not to see the wood for the trees. Unfortunately I am not closer to the solution right now...
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I don't have an Integra, but could you have it set up to NOT respond to incoming programme change messages?
kubes

Post by kubes »

Hi Andy Keys.

I am not sure if I get you right. When I change the Midi channel on the master keyboard, the corresponding bank of the Integra reacts to it. But due to limited modification possibilites and/or lack of buttons on my masterkeybaord I am not able to address different sounds in this specific bank. Eg: If I go to Midi channel 10, Integra bank 10 is addressed and reacts to incoming Midisignal. If I want to change the sound in bank 10, I need to do it on the Integra. AND: if I choose another bank on the Integra (eg bank 11), I need to change the Midi channel on my masterkeyboard to 11 as well, otherwise I will not get a sound from bank 11.
Thus I was wondering if the Integra can act as a master and tells the masterkeyboard which channel to choose.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kubes wrote:Hi Andy Keys.

I am not sure if I get you right. When I change the Midi channel on the master keyboard, the corresponding bank of the Integra reacts to it. But due to limited modification possibilites and/or lack of buttons on my masterkeybaord I am not able to address different sounds in this specific bank. Eg: If I go to Midi channel 10, Integra bank 10 is addressed and reacts to incoming Midisignal. If I want to change the sound in bank 10, I need to do it on the Integra. AND: if I choose another bank on the Integra (eg bank 11), I need to change the Midi channel on my masterkeyboard to 11 as well, otherwise I will not get a sound from bank 11.
Thus I was wondering if the Integra can act as a master and tells the masterkeyboard which channel to choose.
The straight answer to your last question is NO, the integra can't drive the controller, it is the other way around.
The MIDI channel you chose on the NUMA will be the MIDI channel driving the integra Part assigned to that MIDI channel on the integra.
You can send Bank Select and Program Change commands to the integra in order to change Studio Sets or Sounds in Parts.

The Parts/channels have a correspondence 1-2-1 by default, but on the integra any Part can be assigned to any MIDI channel and inclusively, more than one Part can be assigned to one MIDI channel.
For example, on my integra I use Part14 and Part 16 assigned to MIDI channel 14 for Lead Guitar sounds, one Part using SuperNatural Acoustic and the other PCM(SRX).

I hope this helps
Cheers,
PauloF
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

Look in the System MENU, MIDI.
There are settings to allow the Integra to accept MIDI Program changes.
Page 49 of the Owners Manual.
kubes

Post by kubes »

good hint, I'll do so. thx.
Euro73

Post by Euro73 »

Hi,

I've got the same problem. I've got a similar problem. I have the a Roland V-synth with midi out to midi in on the Integra.

I can have instruments on part 1, and they play no problem. If I have instruments on parts 2 to 16, and I select one of those parts I hear nothing
and no signal on the display appears. The midi light does show when I press a key.

I have read the manual and looked online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this answer will be helpful, but since the OP said they are a newbie I thought I'd go back to a basic concept first, which might clarify things.

The I7 is a multi-timbral synth module; it can play several different sound at a time, creating a complex arrangement of music from a single module. To do this however, you assign each sound to its own Part, and each Part has it's own MIDI channel - in this way you send different musical info to each of the instruments in your arrangement, i.e. keys, bass, guitar, drums, strings, etc.

For this to work you would typically record different MIDI parts on a sequencer and set the sequencer to send these MIDI parts on different MIDI channels that correspond to the different instruments on the I7; hence strings on CH 2, E. Piano on channel 3, etc. Many MIDI master keyboards can transmit on two channels when you "split" the keyboard into two halfs, to play, for example, a bass line and keyboard.

If you want to play a single sound, you can just focus on the first Part in your patch which is typically receiving on CH1, and select the sound there and play from the keyboard, transmitting on channel 1, and off you go. Just make sure you are in Part 1 when you select a new sound, and you should hear it changing to whatever you select. The problem in your original post is likely that you were looking at a part other than Part 1, but you're only hearing the Part which receives CH1 MIDI from your keyboard.

If you want to play two sounds, you can figure out how to split your mater keyboard and send MIDI on channels 1 and 2 (or any other channels) and play the two Parts on the I7 which receive these channels.

Finally, you can "layer" many sounds on the I7 by setting the MIDI receive channel of multiple Parts to the same MIDI channel (i.e. CH 1) and play from your keyboard.

If you want to be able to play multiple Parts, you need a device that will transmit across multiple MIDI channels, each one being assigned to a distinct Part (and sound) on the I7.

These concepts are outlined across pages 25 - 34 in your Owner's Manual.

Apologies if this is more basic info than you need; hoping this helps you!

Cheers,
kS
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Euro73 wrote: 14:38, 18 May 2021 Hi,

I've got the same problem. I've got a similar problem. I have the a Roland V-synth with midi out to midi in on the Integra.

I can have instruments on part 1, and they play no problem. If I have instruments on parts 2 to 16, and I select one of those parts I hear nothing
and no signal on the display appears. The midi light does show when I press a key.

I have read the manual and looked online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Euro73, I only saw this post today (been away for a year or so...), but saw that Jicamasalad already responded to your post.
Did you ever solved your issue?

Cheers,