Use with Rd-64

Forum for Integra 7
NordRita

Use with Rd-64

Post by NordRita »

Does anyone use Integra 7 with a Roland rd-64?
I have the rd-64 and was thinking of getting Integra-7 for live performance, not studio. I have a hammond organ, so rd-64 and integra would be for piano plus strings, brass, synths. But I need to layer and occasionally spit the board. Is it possible to program the integra for a few selected patches and not have the ipad on stage for live performances?
PauloF

Re: Use with Rd-64

Post by PauloF »

NordRita wrote:Does anyone use Integra 7 with a Roland rd-64?
I have the rd-64 and was thinking of getting Integra-7 for live performance, not studio. I have a hammond organ, so rd-64 and integra would be for piano plus strings, brass, synths. But I need to layer and occasionally spit the board. Is it possible to program the integra for a few selected patches and not have the ipad on stage for live performances?
Hi NordRita and welcome to the Clan!!

I don't have a RD-64 (I have just an Integra-7), but according to the manual, the RD-64 keyboard does not have Split or Layer functions, so it can't send on more than one MIDI channel at a time. But that does not mean that you can't Split/Layer with the Integra-7 itself :-)

The trick is just to configure the Integra's Studio Sets to have groups of two or more Parts Receiving on the same MIDI channel but having the tones configured on different parts of the keyboard range, say you configure a Studio Set like this (you can use the Studio Sets as banks of Splits and/or Layers):

Split 1:
Tone 1 / Part 1 - MIDI channel 1, AC.PIANO, Keyboard Range: C3-C6
Tone 2 / Part 2 - MIDI channel 1, BASS, Keyboard Range: A0-B2

Split 2:
Tone 1 / Part 3 - MIDI channel 2, AC.PIANO, Keyboard Range: C3-C6
Tone 2 / Part 4 - MIDI channel 2, STRINGS, Keyboard Range: C3-C6
Tone 3 / Part 5 - MIDI channel 2, BASS, Keyboard Range: A0-B2

Split3:
Tone 1 / Part 6 - MIDI channel 3, EL.PIANO, Keyboard Range: C3-C6
Tone 2 / Part 7 - MIDI channel 3, BASS, Keyboard Range: A0-B2

Split4:
Tone 1 / Part 8 - MIDI channel 4, Lead Synth, Keyboard Range: C3-C6
Tone 2 / Part 9 - MIDI channel 4, BASS, Keyboard Range: A0-B2

Layer 1:
Tone 1 / Part 11 - MIDI channel 5, EL.PIANO, Keyboard Range: A0-C6
Tone 2 / Part 12 - MIDI channel 5, STRINGS, Keyboard Range: A0-C6

Layer 2:
Tone 1 / Part 13 - MIDI channel 6, EL.PIANO, Keyboard Range: A0-C6
Tone 2 / Part 14 - MIDI channel 6, STRINGS, Keyboard Range: A0-C6
Tone 3 / Part 15 - MIDI channel 6, PAD, Keyboard Range: A0-C6
Tone 4 / Part 16 - MIDI channel 6, Bell Mallet, Keyboard Range: A0-C6

- With this configuration, you can easily choose the sounds (Split1, Split2, Split3, Split4, Layer1, Layer2) just by changing the MIDI channel on the RD-64!

- More combinations?, just configure more Studio Sets!

- You can inclusively have Studio Sets for Splits and others for layers. Up to you to decide what's the best depending on the number of different setups you need for a live performance.

NOTE1: The only problem with this config of using the same MIDI channel is is that you will have to configure the part volumes in advance in order to balance the relative volumes of each part relative to each other.

NOTE2: Don't forget to set PHASE LOCK "ON" to all MIDI channels being used (in this example 1,2,3,4,5 and 6). MENU, STUDIO SET COMMON, PHASE LOCK, Tick CH1 to CH6)

NOTE3: If carefully configured in advance, you won't need the iPad at all

I hope this helps
Cheers,
Paulo