How Do I Play A Standard or GM Midi File (Song) w/I-7

Forum for Integra 7
Deathrow_Bo_Dean

How Do I Play A Standard or GM Midi File (Song) w/I-7

Post by Deathrow_Bo_Dean »

Hello All; I'd just like to know how to import and play a General Midi File with my new Integra-7. I' just received it two days ago (brand new) and have only been able to play the demo songs. I've been using midi keyboards and tone modules for a long time. I have a Korgg PA3X, a Roland D50 and a Yamaha DX7 keyboard (s). I also have a MT32, FB01, 2 TX7's, TX81z and two Roland GM64 expansion modules. I have used Cakewalk and Power Tracks Pro along with BIAB software. Therefore, I'm not a complete Noobie to Midi but i'm not into sound engineering. I just like to create or modify and play Midi Files.

I have a USB stick or thumb drive with about 50 GM midi songs or files on it. I can load them into my Korgg PA3X and they will play using the PA3X's two GM banks. I can load them into my Win 10 or 8 computer that uses Power Tracks Pro and BIABox. When using my computer with no musical keyboard attached. Windows will allow me to play these midi files thru my Edirol UM3 midi interface. I can connect and hear all of my older tone modules playing this way. I have read the Integra-7 users guide and there is hardly or any mention about How to play a standard or general Midi file. Before yesterday I had no idea just what a DAW was.
My ?'s are:
1. How do I set up the i-7 to play SMF or GM song files? ( A You Tube tutorial would be nice)
2. Can I place my USB thumb drive in the I-7's USB port to load and play SMF or GM midi files? played through the Computer's speakers or have the midi file played through my GS64, MT32 or my other sound modules with no problem.
3. Can I use my PA3X as a controller for the I-7?

I sorry that the questions I have are Noobish. However, I don't want to go monkeying around with the I-7 's Factory settings before I have a clear understanding of just what I'm doing.

Please Help.
Monkey Man

Re: How Do I Play A Standard or GM Midi File (Song) w/I-7

Post by Monkey Man »

I actually haven't looked into it, but I've assumed from the get-go that the unit won't play MIDI files residing onboard or on a stick, Dean, 'cause it doesn't feature a sequencer.

Following that, my assumption is that you'd have to send the data from a sequencer of your choice, be it hardware or software.
Deathrow_Bo_Dean

Post by Deathrow_Bo_Dean »

Thank"s for Your quick reply to my post. So if I load a GM or Standard Midi File into the sequencer (Power Tracks Pro) on my compute,r when I play it thru the midi interface i.e; the Edirol 3port usb to midi interface it will start my Roland GS-64 tone module playing. The sequencer or DAW i use is Power Tracks Pro. The Roland GS-64 has no sequencer in it also but it plays GM or SMF (files). Should the I-7 play the same way if it's set up to play GM or GM2. If so, how or what mode should the I-7 be set to?
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Go to MIDI -> MIDI Settings.
Set either Rx GM System On or Rx GM2 System On to “on”

Load the ExPCM bank into one of the virtual-ROM slots; all 4 slots will now be used for it; that’s just the way it is, and I’m guessing it’s due to the waveform memory used.

From the manual:
When you load the ExPCM sounds, the “GM2” bank indication will change to “GM2#”, and high-quality GM2 sounds will be available.

* The ExPCM sounds use all four slots.
* You can’t edit ExPCM tones.