How to set up Integra 7 on Logic Pro as AU

Forum for Integra 7
cactusprick

How to set up Integra 7 on Logic Pro as AU

Post by cactusprick »

Greetings everyone,

First and foremost, I am a complete newbie in using external midi hardware so please bear with me :)

I have been scratching my head for a long time setting up Integra 7 on Logic Pro 9, without a success.

Do I understand correctly that you can load Integra7 as an Audio Unit on Logic Pro, just like a conventional soft synth vst? How does this actually work?

My connection is as follows;

A49 Controller - via Midi In - Integra 7 - Via USB (vendor mode) - Macbook Pro

I have managed to install drivers and editor and I can load up AU on "Software Instrument" track.

What I don't understand is on the Software Instrument Track, my A49 will only trigger sound when Midi Thru on I7 is turned off.

But the problem is when Midi Thru is turned off, Logic will not register any midi notes on External Midi Track.

So If I want to record Midi, i need to toggle Midi Thru back to 'On'.

Then I can record Midi, however the Software Instrument Track will no longer work.

I don't really think this is a correct way of workflow?

I have enquired this through Roland support, while they were trying to help, nor did they could provide a solution.

Apologies if my post may sound a bit confusing... I would really appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on this matter. Thank you very much!
Soultrane

Re: How to set up Integra 7 on Logic Pro as AU

Post by Soultrane »

Hi, the way to do it is to use the Integra not as an AU but as external midi.

Best way to do it is click "Add tracks" and when it asks you which kind, say "External" and it will ask you how many you want (probably use 16) and which instrument you want to use for in and out (click Integra 7).

Then you will have 16 tracks set with different MIDI channels. You'll be able to play all the instruments of the studio set by clicking the different tracks.

If you want to use the editor, that you will assign to a software channel and call it up as a VST. But it won't make any sound if you select that channel.
cactusprick

Post by cactusprick »

Thank you Souldtrane, for the response :)

So I wonder what is the point of making an AU in logic which is useless other than just an editor?

It could have been just a stand alone editor, running outside/parallel with Logic.

Or am I missing something here....
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Yes. They point you are missing. Is that all the studio, patch settings are saved with the song. So each time you load up that track the AU talks to the Integra and sets it all up for you exactly how you left it. To me that's a big win when working on many tracks. Some using The individual outs as mono, sometimes groups of 4 x stereos. All this stays with the song. I don't have to figure out what studio set I was using?
cactusprick

Post by cactusprick »

Thank you Jerry for your response - that clears few things for me. But..

So do you continuously toggle on/off Midi Thru from Integra 7 menu upon loading up the project, in order to work between software & external midi track on your daw? This is the part I found not intuitive.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

HEllo. I'm not sure what you mean by toggling midi thru. I have my Integra set up as "external Instruments" in Logic. Each instrument is set to a unique channel that equates to the channels set on the on Integra. The AU editor simply allows control of the synth for each channel. I can record/edit all on the fly - no changes are required to the integra or logic. If you are still struggling? Drop me a PM I will put some more detailed notes together for you of my setup.

Thanks
TagPass

Post by TagPass »

Here's a quick outline of the way I have mine setup... It seems like it is simple to do, but many of us have been doing this MIDI stuff for a long time (in my case over 34 years!), so we sometimes forget how complex it can be :)

1. First, create 16 MIDI tracks (one for each channel) and assign the MIDI output of each to the port on which your Integra-7 MIDI is connected.

2. Create an Audio track, and assign as its input source(s) whatever Audio Inputs your Integra-7 audio cable(s) is/are connected to. Turn on Input Monitoring, so you can hear what you're doing!

3. Create an Instrument track and insert an instance of the Integra-7 AU. The only function of this track is to setup which instruments are assigned to each channel and to adjust parameters of the hardware.

4. Choose instruments for each part in your Integra-7 Studio Set.

5. To play/record each instrument, simply select/highlight whichever MIDI track you created (from step one) that corresponds to the instrument you want to hear.
cactusprick

Post by cactusprick »

Thank you so very much everyone!!

I can finally see how all this works now on Logic.

Thank you so much TagPass for going into every details in setting up track. That's how I've set tracks up now. Everything is working great.
Garganega

Post by Garganega »

TagPass wrote:Here's a quick outline of the way I have mine setup... It seems like it is simple to do, but many of us have been doing this MIDI stuff for a long time (in my case over 34 years!), so we sometimes forget how complex it can be :)

1. First, create 16 MIDI tracks (one for each channel) and assign the MIDI output of each to the port on which your Integra-7 MIDI is connected.

2. Create an Audio track, and assign as its input source(s) whatever Audio Inputs your Integra-7 audio cable(s) is/are connected to. Turn on Input Monitoring, so you can hear what you're doing!

3. Create an Instrument track and insert an instance of the Integra-7 AU. The only function of this track is to setup which instruments are assigned to each channel and to adjust parameters of the hardware.

4. Choose instruments for each part in your Integra-7 Studio Set.

5. To play/record each instrument, simply select/highlight whichever MIDI track you created (from step one) that corresponds to the instrument you want to hear.
Hi TagPass, can I ask you to clarify some things for me?

I don't have an audio interface, and like the Original Poster am using the Integra via USB. Following your steps (as I understand them), I have the following issue, which I have always had with the Integra:

https://imgur.com/a/pw6shvH

Where nothing is coming out of the audio track, and if I select a single midi track the audio goes through all of them.

Am I right in assuming I need an audio interface to be able to use multiple Integra instruments at the same time, and have them only play audio through their own track? I only have Input 1+2.
cactusprick

Post by cactusprick »

Hi Im new to this and also have spent so many hours to make this work (somewhat)

The findings I can tell you for sure (hope im right on all these);

1. You DO NOT need an audio interface make I7 to play multiple instruments.
2. I7 will sum the whole 16 instruments to output 1+2, given that you are using USB (stereo only)
3. On Logic, you can alternatively set up “Software Instrument Track” (not External Midi) for each channel, and load up on a channel strip Utility -> External Instrument. I prefer using this as it works like any other vst. It is actually same as using External MIDI but just a different approach.
4. Ive read that using above method doesnt work for sysex (whatever this means lol), which so far doesnt bother me..
5. God knows why (FOR ME) i could not get External MIDI Track work. The damn audio just wouldnt work.

Hope this helps out and I would love to know how this works out for you as well.
kpranav

Post by kpranav »

I have followed what TagPass has recommended but I have two different problems

Prior to that, let me explain my connection.
1. Roland A-49 Midi OUT to Roland Integra 7 Midi IN
2. Roland A-49 USB to Macbook Pro. This also powers on the controller
3. Roland Integra-7, USB Driver = Vendor
4. Headphones connected to the front of Integra-7

Problems:

1. I can play the controller and I can hear the currently selected patch on Integra-7. I think this is expected for the natural scenario without Logic Pro X in the picture.
2. Now I launch Logic Pro X and I set the input/output to Integra-7 in LPX | Preferences | Audio
3. When I added 16 tracks choosing External MIDI, I chose Use External Instrument plug-in and Input 1+2, Output Integra-7 ch1, Ascending, Output 1+2, Ascending. Both input and output devices set to Integra-7
4. The channel strip for all the tracks has Midi Channel set to ALL. If I play my keyboard all channels play the same thing and I hear whatever patch i7 is on. I had to manually set individual channel numbers.
5. Then I add the audio track (do I even need this as I am already hearing everything, in fact more than necessary)
6. Now I added the Software Instrument track with Integra-7 as AU. I launch the editor and set various parts to various instruments
7. When I select, say, track 7 and play it plays ch1 + ch6. What's weird is, track 7 set to ch 7 plays the instrument selected on part 6. I can see the visual on Integra-7 display and both channels 1 and 6 show the signal.
8. Even different patches are on different parts, selecting different tracks will not show what patch is activated on the i7 display. it always shows whatever I selected manually.

As you can tell it is pretty messed up. I wonder how the other user said he had success. Please help. I am willing to get on a call to get this resolved. I am also willing to pay someone who can make this work for me.

My goal is to use all the sounds from i7 to record my song but use LPX as my DAW.