The New Roland Integra 7

Forum for Integra 7
anotherscott

Re: The New Roland Integra 7

Post by anotherscott »

Johan325 wrote:Roland write somewhere on their website. They had to remake the sounds of the 5080 because the MFX’s is not the same. How is it does it still sound like the 5080?
Roland says, "Since the INTEGRA-7 uses the latest MFX engine, the onboard SRX expansion libraries will not sound identical to previous sound modules and synthesizers." It sounds like it is the effects that are different, not the underlying sounds, so how different a particular patch will sound on the I7 compared to how it sounded on the 5080 will depend on which fx it used (if any), and how different that particular effect might be on the I7. For example, if the I7 hall reverb is different than the 5080 hall reverb, then an SRX patch with hall reverb will not sound identical on the two machines. But the basic sound should be very similar, and probably usable for the same purposes.
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Yes Scott I know ;-) .
But I just wondered if they have done a great job converting the parameters. And it’s not so important for me either, it’s not a buy or not buy question.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Good questions all Johan. I run the MIDI out of the MC-80 into the OASYS MIDI in and vice-versa and then daisy chain from the MIDI THRU of the OASYS to all of the other synths. I know it is not recommended to do this, but it has somehow worked for all of these years!

I have an A-220 (MIDI Separator) and an A-880 (MIDI Patch Bay/Mixer) but have never taken the time to learn how to employ or use them in my rig. Someday, I keep tellin' meself!

Now for the synth sounds...to be honest, I have not even had the time to even scratch the surface of the Jupiter-80 so I can't compare it yet, but on another thread I think it was Dr Popper who alluded to the fact that you could build a massive sound with 3 oscilllators x 10 voices or something like that. Wow! That is just mind boggling, and when I get around to finally building my own sounds I am sure that I will be even more impressed with what the Jupiter can do. I have already been amazed at the sounds by just going through the V1 and V2 Reg's (love that "Canadian Spring" and "Mumbai Pyramid!") and Live Sets.

I know there are some subtle differences in the way that the I-7 voices can sound compared to the XV, but to be honest, I haven't had the time yet to do a direct compare. Can't wait to hear how one of my favourites (Mood Ringz) sounds between the two! I have just been too busy just going through all of the SN sounds and the SRX boards that I had never heard before to do much else.

I can not really compare the V's to anything else. If I had one word to describe the V, it would be "versatile." Having the Elastic Audio concept along with the APS (on the GT) just puts these things in a different class. You can get these humongous sounding analog pads with a lot of movement one moment, and then be belting out these realistic sounding violins, horns, guitars, erhu's or whatever the next. As such, they were like a precursor of the Behavior Modeling and SN technology in the Jupiter and the I-7. They may only have 24 "voices" (ironically like the JD-990's) but still sound great and the "Stout Project" that I worked on with cello made me intimately more aware of how powerful this underappreciated synth is. I have also found that editing on the V's is a snap and the architecture is quite user friendly (except for the APS which can be mind boggling!! LOL!).

Last but not least, I have not put any of my older synths in a closet mate! Don't worry, they are still hooked up and if need be I just keep an input on the mixer available if I am going to be using them in a mix. I could not live without the JD-990's that have the SR-JV04 Vintage Synth expansion boards installed! And, my trusty old tamboura on my Proteus-3 world is still a staple on my Indian excursions. Roland finally got some really good tam's and sitars on the SRX World Exp. board, and pressing S2 on the Jupiter-80 with the aforementioned Mumbai Pyramid Registration yields a real pleasant surprise!

Let's make some noise! :-))
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Thanks for all the Answers SoundWorldAD. Don’t through away the A-220 or the A-880 those stuff are not easy to find these days. Mostly cheap when you find them, if you find them. New Midi splitters and mergers can be found, but they cost 10 times compared to the prices in the 90’s. In Europe anyway. Someday you maybe take the time to learn them and then your workflow will flow better, that almost a promise.
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

To SoundWorld AD:
I’ve done some homework on your MC-80. Thanks INTERNET!!! And Roland UK!!! Page 23 in the Manual.
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/MC-80/

In the TRACK INFO screen just move the cursor to the OUTPUT and choose 1 or 2 You can even choose both 1 2 so you can layer a sound from the JP-80 with a sound from ex. JD-990 #3 if you choose to but the JD’s in the second MIDI-line.
Somewhere in the 90’s I read that you should not have longer MIDI lines then 4-5 units. The delay would then be soundable. If this is true or they just wanted to sell 4ports midiinterface, I don’t know.
Take a sharp sound like a TR-808 trumstick and play it on the first unit in the midichain. Play the same sound on the last unit in the chain. Listen if you here a time difference. Best is if you make a track with 1/8”s and then change the first unit and last unit to the same midichannel
A little of the topic, I know.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:Thanks for all the Answers SoundWorldAD. Don’t through away the A-220 or the A-880 those stuff are not easy to find these days. Mostly cheap when you find them, if you find them. New Midi splitters and mergers can be found, but they cost 10 times compared to the prices in the 90’s. In Europe anyway. Someday you maybe take the time to learn them and then your workflow will flow better, that almost a promise.

It's good that you mention that Johan, The best I could find was a UM-550 and I can't live without it!
SoundworldA.D. wrote: I have an A-220 (MIDI Separator) and an A-880 (MIDI Patch Bay/Mixer) but have never taken the time to learn how to employ or use them in my rig. Someday, I keep tellin' meself
Soundworld, if you decide that you don' want your 880, I'm interested ;-)

cheers,
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks Johan,

I had my SC-88 that I use mainly for drums and ride cymbals as the last link in the MIDI chain and to be honest, if there was a millisecond or two lag from too much daisy chaining I never noticed it in any of my mixes. Of course since I just do this as a hobby, I don't have to be hypercritical of such things.

I also read the MC-80 manual on MIDI outs and saw the same thing. Once I get the A-880 hooked up and possibly create a second rig I will look into using that 2nd MIDI out. For now I have so many unfinished tunes and rough mixes in the works that I am hesistant to change too many things around in the Soundworld.

My friend Moreno from the Netherlands just picked up an Integra-7 and he was telling me about too many sleepless nights lately. Yes indeed, 6000 sounds takes a while to give a good listen too!
I learned long ago not to part with any more gear Paulo. I sold my old Yamaha TG-33 and TG-77 and ended up regretting it. Maybe not so much the 33, but the ability to mix PCM and FM on the 77 was a treat and it got these great swirling textures that I miss.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:...
I learned long ago not to part with any more gear Paulo. I sold my old Yamaha TG-33 and TG-77 and ended up regretting it. Maybe not so much the 33, but the ability to mix PCM and FM on the 77 was a treat and it got these great swirling textures that I miss.
I do agree with you completely. I was joking ;-)

I had to sell I had to sell almost all my Roland gear: RD-170 Piano, SonicCell, Fantom X, Boss DR-880, UA-25EX, Boss BR-864, FA-101 and all my Mixers, a Behringer 1204 FX and a Mackie 1642 VLZ3 because of severe economic reasons and I regret that I did that, as maybe I will never be able to complete some of the compositions that I made with it...

I only maintain basically my V-Synth XT (not for sale unless I desperately need to) and an old RS-70 that someone gave me for free as they thought it was faulty :-D, but in fact is in perfect condition.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Sorry for that Paulo but we understand that taking care of the family ALWAYS trumps any and everything else! We know that you will make even better tunes in the future with whatever gear you use (and...that XT is one powerful piece of kit!)
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Really sorry to hear that. Really sorry . I can’t say that I’ve been in any economic crisis of that kind, yet. I just took a long pause in music when I started a family. Suddenly there was so much more that needed money and time. Mostly time. But I can’t say I’ve been in your shoes. Know I understand why you wrote that you probably never end up on the I7 user map. But I’m not so sure, perhaps not this year, but some day. And as Sound World AD says the XT is not a bad thing to keep. According to him it’s state of the art.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:Really sorry to hear that. Really sorry . I can’t say that I’ve been in any economic crisis of that kind, yet. I just took a long pause in music when I started a family. Suddenly there was so much more that needed money and time. Mostly time. But I can’t say I’ve been in your shoes. Know I understand why you wrote that you probably never end up on the I7 user map. But I’m not so sure, perhaps not this year, but some day. And as Sound World AD says the XT is not a bad thing to keep. According to him it’s state of the art.
Don't be sorry, this is just another (bad) phase in life, and it will go, like everything else
I'll finish my tunes one day.
But yes, the V-Synth XT is a Master Piece of Synths and I just didn't sell it because at the last minute I thought that I could never have another, as they are so difficult to find, so decided that the XT would stay, no matter what. :-)
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

PauloF wrote:Don't be sorry, this is just another (bad) phase in life
Ok. But I understand if you felt a little bit sad. I'll keep an eye on the A-880 for you in the swedish market ;-)
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

Just checked the I7 out today at my local Guitar Center.

It sounds very good, sure would be cool if they updated my JP80 with some of these new supernatural sounds. The effects are wonderful and the 3D sound placement is pretty cool.

I want one!
kernell32

Post by kernell32 »

hi,
this is my personal demo integra7 !

bye from rome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1hcem ... ata_player
steve77

Post by steve77 »

kernell32 wrote:hi,
this is my personal demo integra7 !

bye from rome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1hcem ... ata_player
Awesome job Kernell, thats amazing how you got that out of that machine sounds as good as Rolands in memory demos.Ive just got mine(I7) and need time to work with it hopefully thru the winter Im off work thru out the winter.