Integra-7 USB Audio - Stereo only?

Forum for Integra 7
Dany

Re: Integra-7 USB Audio - Stereo only?

Post by Dany »

knolan wrote:
...Media composers will not be inclined to buy this product...
You are probably right Kevin, media composers will not be inclined to buy this product.

I am quite convinced that a lot of potential buyers of the Integra-7 are finally all those folks who can't afford a JP-50, let alone a JP-80. Some folks for example on the infamous "Gearslutz" forum, formerly bashing the Jupiter-50/80, are now suddenly very excited about the Integra-7, planning its purchase, which is of course quite telling, but absolutely not surprising...

The majority of future I-7 users will use the I-7 more as a players tool, than as a production tool. Hence the new Roland A-88/49 Controllers with the new "SuperNATURAL Mode", suited for nothing else than the I-7.

The JP-80 has latency issues, by pushing the number of layers, which becomes very evident with percussive sounds, combined with massive SN Synth Tone layers, using a lot of partials. There is even a remark about the JP-80's latency issues in some more extreme settings in the manuals.

The I-7 will very probably have the exactly same latency issues by using 16 different SN Tones on all 16 parts at a time, which makes it somewhat useless for production. You will have to use the PCM Synth engine for some parts instead and reduce the number of parts using SN Tones, in order to reduce the latency...
-
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

knolan wrote:I'm sorry PauloF, it is not just a sound module. With motional surround, ability to set up 16 programs on 16 midi channels, 8 analogue outputs, and such a vast array of sound engines / sources - and their blurb promoting TV / Film applications - then Roland view this module, in part, as integrating into modern DAW production setups.

I'll say it again - it is naivety on Roland's part not to offer multi-channel USB connectivity to a DAW environment. They have done all the work, except offer the last crucial step, and I for one cannot comprehend their thinking. They have demonstrated similar poor practice before, for example by forcing R-Bus and V-Link upon their customer base needlessly for years, or by offering only primitive use of USB stick storage for the V-Synth GT and GAIA.

They go and do all the difficult (and fabulous) innovation, and then frustrate their user base by severely limiting the use of that innovative technology in real world scenarios. Media composers will not be inclined to buy this product if they cannot treat different parts in a mix separately or record surround to 6 DAW tracks. Stereo is insufficient.

Kevin
Kevin,
Integra-7 is not only stereo, it has the ability to map any of the 16 Parts to any of the 8 Outputs provided Motional Surround is OFF. No other board does this.

Not having a multi-channel Audio/USB interface, at the first glance seems the last mile has been forgotten by Roland, I mean, the real connectivity to a DAW system, but let's see the following:

- Marketing strategy ? they produce Audio Capture devices like Octa-Capture, maybe that's one of the reasons.

- If you ask me if I would like to have a full 16 Part DAW AUDIO interface on Integra, of course I would, but don't forget that having the integra as an AUDIO capture device, it would also to have several (8, 16) AUDIO inputs, a Mixer and/or ways of cascading other Audio capture devices (like the Octa-Capture...that would be clever...), otherwise there would be of almost no use if you need to capture other synths at the same time into your DAW system, as the most DAW systems only support one AUDIO Interface.

I think this is the main reason why Roland didn't include more than 2 channel Audio on the USB interface, exactly like they did for all the boards with Audio USB support (Junos, Fantoms, SonicCell, JP-80/50, and Integra-7)

However one can still use MIDI and record the 16 channels at once and then reproduce them at will.

So that's why I said and maintain, this is another Sound Module (no negative connotation here), maybe the best and more powerful produced by Roland so far, but still a Sound Module.

cheers,
Paulo
Dany

Post by Dany »

PauloF wrote: ...Integra-7 is not only stereo, it has the ability to map any of the 16 Parts to any of the 8 Outputs provided Motional Surround is OFF. No other board does this.
Not exactly true. The OASYS does this as well, even offering an ADAT option... ;)
-
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Dany wrote:
PauloF wrote: ...Integra-7 is not only stereo, it has the ability to map any of the 16 Parts to any of the 8 Outputs provided Motional Surround is OFF. No other board does this.
Not exactly true. The OASYS does this as well, even offering an ADAT option... ;)
-
You're right, I forgot the "mighty" OASYS!
However the OASYS is from a completely different championship and would be a SIN if it would not do it all (for the price). I wonder why Korg did not continue to support and produce such a beast...
knolan

Post by knolan »

PauloF I broadly get where you're comg from. In my criticism I feel I need to qualify - I think this is an absolutely stunning new release by Roland. Sonically speaking, it is a masterpiece IMO. I just wish they had put the finishing touches on making it truly ready for full, immeadiate and easy integration into a DAW setup, something I feel they have already done 90% (+) of the work on. but I'll say it again - Integra-7 is a fabulous 'module' and I fully intend getting one despite my misgivings.

Kevin.
cello

Post by cello »

PauloF wrote:However the OASYS is from a completely different championship and would be a SIN if it would not do it all (for the price). I wonder why Korg did not continue to support and produce such a beast...
Don't start me on that one!!! LOL :D
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:
PauloF wrote:However the OASYS is from a completely different championship and would be a SIN if it would not do it all (for the price). I wonder why Korg did not continue to support and produce such a beast...
Don't start me on that one!!! LOL :D
I won't, I give up ;-)
keysme

Post by keysme »

I wanted to offer an apology for being critical of the Integra-7. Especially given the fact that I haven't heard it in person yet. What I'm coming to realize is that Roland apparently doesn't try to put it's best foot forward when it comes to online sound presentations of their products. In fact, when the Fantom G came out there was vigorous debate as to whether some of the sounds on it were up to snuff and indeed we found out after it was released that the acoustic piano(s) were less than stellar and a lot of the brass and orchestral sounds were lacking also. I was also critical of the Jupiter-50 after hearing the online demos as I felt the sounds were in many cases thin and lackluster. But wonder of wonders the Jupiter-50 sounds better in person although there are some concerns with the orchestral sounds but generally the Jupiter-50 sounds a lot better in person in comparison to the online demos. Also, I noticed the ARX-01 Drum card sounded pretty weak when listening to the demos, yet after I installed it in my Fantom G7 it actually sounded pristine as far as the acoustical drum kits go.

In conclusion, I've decided to refrain from critical opinions of Roland products before I actually have a chance to play them firsthand. You'd think Roland would take greater pride in presenting more convincing online sound demos of their products. For instance, Yamaha seems to create these marvelous sound demonstrations, yet they too are basically standard MP3 files which as we know are compressed data that loses some of the frequency range and thus some of the overall sound quality. Yet for some reason Yamaha seems to nail it again and again and it demonstrates their ability to put their best foot forward when it comes to demonstrating sounds of their product(s) online. As far as Roland goes, not so much in my opinion.

Therefore in order to really appreciate the sound quality of a product it makes it necessary (for me anyway) to actually play and hear it firsthand in order to judge adequately and fairly. I've also noticed that many other people who've listened to Roland sound demos have varying opinions also. For instance, several other people posted rather derogatory statements about the Jupiter-50 saying in essence that it didn't sound very good at all. But as I've come to discover the online demos in many cases don't do the product justice, and therefore, it's necessary to hold off any final judgement until I actually get to listen to the product firsthand. Sorry if I rattled any nerves. I tend to call 'em like I see 'em (and hear 'em) but my criticism was premature and again I apologize for being somewhat cynical regarding the Integra-7 or for that matter the Jupiter-50 as well. Have a great weekend everybody! I'm still waiting for the super-duper Fantom YZ workstation from Roland. Winter NAMM '13 isn't too far off. Time will tell but I kind of have my doubts. Maybe Roland will surprise us.
konaboy

Post by konaboy »

saw sonicstate's recent review of the boutique tr-8, which does offer 8 channel audio over usb. so roland can do it, but why they chose to do it on a relatively inexpensive drum machine and not their flagship sound module is beyond me. but this is all done in software so we can hope for a driver or firmware update in the future to address this.
sino13

Post by sino13 »

konaboy wrote:saw sonicstate's recent review of the boutique tr-8, which does offer 8 channel audio over usb. so roland can do it, but why they chose to do it on a relatively inexpensive drum machine and not their flagship sound module is beyond me. but this is all done in software so we can hope for a driver or firmware update in the future to address this.
I was just thinking on similar thing and i came to this thread (google).

No matter whatever people say here or think - it is only and literally and deliberately - USB driver issue/limit.

Roland released quite a few machines lately and even "boutiques" ones for affordable sector which is great.

https://www.roland.com/global/promos/roland_boutique/

Even all of these "cheap" machines like boutique 808 or 909 (let alone Tr8 or newset tr8s https://www.roland.com/global/products/tr-8s/) have a whooping:

8++ outs over USB out in your DAW !!!!

It does seems really awkward and weird. We bought Roland flagship workstation with thousands of sounds, movie machine (not bringing up about polyphony here) yet we have only one USB out in DAW while all these people with boutiques have as many as they need.

A friend told when i was talking about him about that integra limit - that apparently Roland have some (imho funny) Facebook group and there people post suggestion on their latest Roland cloud software and Roland products. Apparently Roland respond there and he said if we are vocal enough about this integra 7 issue they might hear us and develop better driver.

Yeah i have spaceship here and a fork to navigate it come on.

I get individual outs but i want better integration with DAW especially after i see what treatment boutique users received...
sino13

Post by sino13 »

On another note did they ever mentioned anything about new version of Integra 7?
Monsterbeatspublish

Post by Monsterbeatspublish »

As the creator of the West coast sound, back in 1986 all we had was Roland. In respect to the Integra stereo out usb truly that is enough. I currently use the fa06 and I only have stereo out. However if I use the fa06 and the asio 4all im able to use 16 out puts digital from the fa06. The Integra is design for analog use and I am excited to have 8 out to my 32 track mixer, and I am sure if I use asio 4all I might even be able to use 16 digital. Also I use pro tools and pro tools actually has the Integra motiff, trinity and more all ready install, so if you need the Integra digitally it's in your daw for sure, all high-end audio daws employed Roland for sounds. I love my Integra I can all ways mute and over dub which is what I do with th fa06. But I am an analog buff so 8 out puts for my keys is heaven on earth. Ps N
Herbie Hancock was first to use the 808 on a record I Ivan Law was the first to employ the 808 as a rapper 100% sample free
TheSuperNova

Post by TheSuperNova »

Monsterbeatspublish wrote: 05:41, 28 September 2019 As the creator of the West coast sound, back in 1986 all we had was Roland. In respect to the Integra stereo out usb truly that is enough. I currently use the fa06 and I only have stereo out. However if I use the fa06 and the asio 4all im able to use 16 out puts digital from the fa06. The Integra is design for analog use and I am excited to have 8 out to my 32 track mixer, and I am sure if I use asio 4all I might even be able to use 16 digital. Also I use pro tools and pro tools actually has the Integra motiff, trinity and more all ready install, so if you need the Integra digitally it's in your daw for sure, all high-end audio daws employed Roland for sounds. I love my Integra I can all ways mute and over dub which is what I do with th fa06. But I am an analog buff so 8 out puts for my keys is heaven on earth. Ps N
Herbie Hancock was first to use the 808 on a record I Ivan Law was the first to employ the 808 as a rapper 100% sample free
How did you go about creating the sound? I'm interested in hearing. :)