Wireless WORKS with regular Netgear WNA1100

Forum for Integra 7
TagPass

Wireless WORKS with regular Netgear WNA1100

Post by TagPass »

My Integra-7 arrived on Friday, and so far, it's quite fantastic! Hopefully, I'll post a short review from a user's perspective once I've given it a more thorough workout. Still auditioning sounds at this point, but I will say that I have to strongly disagree with one of the other threads in which someone mentioned that media producers would not be interested in this unit. So far, I'm finding many of the acoustic sounds to rival -- and in many cases surpass -- some of the sample libraries I have used before for media production and videogame soundtracks.

Anyhow, I figured I would setup the wireless iPad editor and give the "regular" Netgear WNA1100 N150 wireless adapter a shot, since the Roland branded one is twice the cost. Setup was a snap once the Integra-7 was updated to the 1.10 OS, and I can confirm that it works exactly as intended. RIght now, I *am* finding that my iPad is frequently losing connection to the unit, but I'm almost certain that this is a function of my home network, since I've had other connection issues with devices in the house, until I made exceptions for them in my security configuration.

UPDATE: in looking into the intermittent connection issues, I ended up switching the wireless configuration to 'ad hoc' as recommended in the "about wireless guide", and I'm happy to report it's working beautifully. The connection is stable and it's great fun to audition sounds from another room!

So, a head's up to other I-7 users: The non-Roland-branded adapter is available online and at retailers for anywhere between $14-$35, compared to the WNA1100-RL which retails at $50.
PauloF

Re: Wireless WORKS with regular Netgear WNA1100

Post by PauloF »

TagPass wrote:My Integra-7 arrived on Friday, and so far, it's quite fantastic! Hopefully, I'll post a short review from a user's perspective once I've given it a more thorough workout. Still auditioning sounds at this point, but I will say that I have to strongly disagree with one of the other threads in which someone mentioned that media producers would not be interested in this unit. So far, I'm finding many of the acoustic sounds to rival -- and in many cases surpass -- some of the sample libraries I have used before for media production and videogame soundtracks.

Anyhow, I figured I would setup the wireless iPad editor and give the "regular" Netgear WNA1100 N150 wireless adapter a shot, since the Roland branded one is twice the cost. Setup was a snap once the Integra-7 was updated to the 1.10 OS, and I can confirm that it works exactly as intended. RIght now, I *am* finding that my iPad is frequently losing connection to the unit, but I'm almost certain that this is a function of my home network, since I've had other connection issues with devices in the house, until I made exceptions for them in my security configuration.

UPDATE: in looking into the intermittent connection issues, I ended up switching the wireless configuration to 'ad hoc' as recommended in the "about wireless guide", and I'm happy to report it's working beautifully. The connection is stable and it's great fun to audition sounds from another room!

So, a head's up to other I-7 users: The non-Roland-branded adapter is available online and at retailers for anywhere between $14-$35, compared to the WNA1100-RL which retails at $50.
Many thanks for your Post TagPass, keep it coming...
and enjoy your Integra
knolan

Post by knolan »

Shipping of Integra 7 in the US, in Portugal, yet Thomann in Europe and DV in UK ay they are not available until 30th of October. A curious launch / release.

To your comment about media composers not using this - probably based on my comments - but these were based only on the notion of connectivity into a DAW and not on sound quality - I have no doubts of the sound quality of Integra; but I have asked some of my media composer friends ( I too write music for Irish TV) and I'm the only one who would even consider it - in fact I'm the only one of my many very 'aware' media composer friends who were even aware of the Integra 7.

To be frank, this module hasn't a prayers chance of being adoped into many streamlined media composer setups. Not only because the multichannel connectivity is not there - but there are two other reasons -

1) most media composers are software only based and only worry about sample libraries. The notion of buying a module feels like going back to the 90s for them

2) Even given the superlative sound quality and variety on Integra 7, the issue of managing those sound sources - library wise - and audibly in an (orchestral mockup) mix - are paramount and mitigate against it.

It doesn't matter how well a Supernatural Acoustic Violin sounds a) if you can't play very well and b) if its various articulations cannot be managed in a typical sample library session where typically media composers are paranoid about the realism and consistency of the sound across various articulations of the same instrument / instrument family. In this regard JP80/50 or Integra will be difficult to integrate meaningfully into any typical media sample-library based setup. furthermore, while there are a great many soruces of soind on Integra (for example, violoin available from SN, SRX Orchestra and SRX symphonic Strings, as just one example, again their very different sound make s it difficult to see a coherent / unified use of them and, from a media point of view, constitute extra work. Admittedly many of these sounds are extremely strong in their own right, and add huge variety - but I'm just talking about the use of these sounds in the work flow / rapid pace of typical media composers; and overall I cannto see Integra 7 been used in that sort of setup. What would be needed would be, for example, a better librarian / management facility between various articulaitons of the same instrument, for example, among other facilites to make this integrate well into a typical setup today.

None of this takes away from the excellent quality of Integra 7 for live work or individualistic compositions needing strong sound sources; but for media work - Integra-7 is very far from ideal and probably means more work than it's worth give the extrordinary sampel libraries available these days for even a fraction of the cost of this module.

Kevin.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

knolan wrote:
To be frank, this module hasn't a prayers chance of being adoped into many streamlined media composer setups. Not only because the multichannel connectivity is not there - but there are two other reasons -

1) most media composers are software only based and only worry about sample libraries. The notion of buying a module feels like going back to the 90s for them

2) Even given the superlative sound quality and variety on Integra 7, the issue of managing those sound sources - library wise - and audibly in an (orchestral mockup) mix - are paramount and mitigate against it.

It doesn't matter how well a Supernatural Acoustic Violin sounds a) if you can't play very well and b) if its various articulations cannot be managed in a typical sample library session where typically media composers are paranoid about the realism and consistency of the sound across various articulations of the same instrument / instrument family. (...) their very different sound makes it difficult to see a coherent / unified use of them and, from a media point of view, constitute extra work. (...) I'm just talking about the use of these sounds in the work flow / rapid pace of typical media composers; and overall I cannto see Integra 7 been used in that sort of setup. (...)
Kevin.
Yeah, yeah, we got it, don't need to repeat. You mean that there are lots or tards and lazy asses who got - God knows how - into production and they duly need some fast sh^t under fingertips, FAST! So, unless Roland bows down and deliver "every conceivable artikulation usable for illiterate dummies who managed to understand how a PC works", everything they brew is bad, bad, BAD! Consumers might even need to practice, oh horrors!!!
So, we also got 2 cases:
1. The respected engineer who wants to impersonate a composer. Well, he might not know how to press a keyboard to get audible results FAST, but he nonetheless can make use of his vast expertise to get around. Case solved.
2. The missing link which thinks IT will create a masterpiece. Since "the man" has ADHD or other hyperactivity disorder it simply doesn't matter which sh^t you bring to him. Just tell him to press the "claps" pad and the studio team will take care about the rest of the song.

To be honest with you, there is much more less streamlining in software products than hardware counterparts. As a matter of fact, hardware stuff is becoming increasingly cumbersome and unwieldy because they're trying to emulate software products. So much about "streamlining". Go get a 2500+ drummachine and a 1500+ analog step sequencer - bingo! - now you have just streamlined your stuff big time. Want to add finishing touches, articulations and stuff? That has nothing to do with quickies.
Dany

Post by Dany »

Parsifal wrote: As a matter of fact, hardware stuff is becoming increasingly cumbersome and unwieldy...
It's quite the contrary in the real world. Due to the fast technological progress, we will see (and already have) more and more specialized hardware products, which have the same, or even more power for their task, than a PC would have.
The PC will finally become extinct in some years and iPad alike hardware (with complementary hardware, like AKAI is already offering) and specialized hardware products with an integrated software architecture will dominate the future, not only regarding music production, but also regarding every other aspect of daily life.
Time has proven, that all those fears of hardware products (like synths) beeing pushed aside forever by software, were baseless.
Parsifal wrote: ...because they're trying to emulate software products.
Again, it's quite the contrary in the real world. Software is usually trying to emulate hardware products and not the other way around... ;)

-
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Dany wrote:
Parsifal wrote: As a matter of fact, hardware stuff is becoming increasingly cumbersome and unwieldy...
It's quite the contrary in the real world. Due to the fast technological progress, we will see (and already have) more and more specialized hardware products, which have the same, or even more power for their task, than a PC would have.
-
False. Not even Oasys can hold a candle against top processors. What did it use, a Xeon processor? And what about your "more and more specialized hardware products" and their "more power"??? :) Examples, please. Otherwise, you're the one living in Dorothy's adventures.
Dany wrote:
Parsifal wrote: Again, it's quite the contrary in the real world. Software is usually trying to emulate hardware products and not the other way around... ;)
-
Yeah, right, that's why Kronos needs about 2 minutes to boot up. That's because PCs try to emulate workstations :) Come on, YOU're too funny.
Dany

Post by Dany »

@"Parsifal": Don't worry, I understand how hard it must be for you to admit the facts of the real world.

So you are seriously claiming: "Hardware is trying to emulate software products"....?!?

While I am saying: Software is trying to emulate hardware products. (Example: Arturia Jupiter8v, etc.)

And yes, for example the OASYS with its old Pentium 4 CPU is still more powerful for its task (as I've stated in my previous post), than a PC with a new i7 CPU, because of its integrated software architecture...

But the main thing is, that you are happy within your own reality in your own world... ;)

-
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Do I look like I care about your rants? Keep trolling better next time.

First claiming that hardware has more powerful processors than their software counterparts, then saying "they're good enough for what they do". You simply invalidated yourself.

Then trying to make grammar police. Of course hardware cannot EMULATE something immaterial. It's a matter of speaking, a fucking metaphor. Stop whining and bitcking about it - I also got you an example to think about: if software follows workstations (and not the other way around) then why Kronos boots up in more than 2 mins??? You still have no answer. Pretty much sums up your (inexistent) point.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Parsifal wrote:…Then trying to make grammar police…
Did someone call?
Grammar Police.jpg
Grammar Police.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 9390 times
Dany

Post by Dany »

'Otherwise, you're the one living in Dorothy's adventures..'.jpg
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Dany wrote:
'Otherwise, you're the one living in Dorothy's adventures..'.jpg
Wow... trolling with pictures... nice, very good job indeed. Okay, you win. Call me Oz from now on.