XV-5080 vs. I-7: More differences than you might think!

Forum for Integra 7
SoundworldA.D.

XV-5080 vs. I-7: More differences than you might think!

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I finally took the time to do a head-to-head comparison between the same patches on my XV-5080 and the Integra-7, and while a lot of the patches of course do sound very similar, there are many that differ in more ways than just the FX employed.

I took a sampling of 16 patches (Dawn to Dusk, Vanishing, 5th Sweep, Phazweep, MG Sweep, Ceremony Timp, Dyno Toms, Inertia, Chime Wash, Terminate, Temple of JV, Dimensional, Jupiterings, PhasingPad, Percolator, and MoodRingz) and made the following observations:

First and foremeost, I had said that I wanted to check the difference of one of my favourites, "MoodRingz"...the winner, XV-5080 hands down! The I-7 version sounded more thin and "tinny" comparatively. The other ones that were quizzical were the two drum patches, "Ceremony Timp" and "Dyno Toms". The 5080 versions have only reverb, especially Dyno, where that massive Hall Verb just makes it come alive. Oddly enough, both I-7 versions employed a healthy dose of delay for some reason, which ruined the sounds for me.

On some of the "movement" patches and especially ones where there were nice filter sweeps, the I-7 came alive! This was noticeable on patches like "Chime Wash", "Terminate" and "Temple of JV". On "Inertia", the "JP-8SQ" tone sounded fuller on the XV version. Others like "5th Sweep", "Phazweep" and "MGSweep" sounded very similar. "Percolator" sounded very different because the XV version did not employ delay whereas the I-7 did.

All in all, a healthy competition, with some nice unexpected differences along the way. I am ecstatic that there are these differences because it just gives me that much more variation and sonic material to play with. I am going to have a blast building (or trying to build!) some of my favourite FantomXR patches like "Vortex" on the I-7.

Ah...I am already envisioning a massive "Dawn to Dusk" extravaganza with the JV-1080, JV-2080, XV-5080 and the I-7 all banging away with those lush slow filter sweeps coming and going at different intervals!
alpha_C

Re: XV-5080 vs. I-7: More differences than you might think!

Post by alpha_C »

Good luck with you job ! I noticed that some patches from web demos sound better than on my I7. An example.
Patch no 189 PlayEuroRiff from SRX 05 sound on Integra much worse than as is it presented on the webside:
http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/srx_demo.html
Any ideas why is that ?
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks a-C. I can't do that direct comparison because I don't have SRX-05 in my Fantom module. I have to assume that it is probably due to the different effects units employed.
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

I see. Mayby someone has SRX5 and can compare...?
deswind

Post by deswind »

I have compared srx-06 on a RD700GX with the same sound (slow resin strings) on the Integra and it is different. The attack, especially, appears to be different. The Integra was also triggered by the RD700GX, so it is not an issue of the keys. Now I could probably tweak the integra to make it as good as the RD700GX, but it does seem like the sound is different and perhaps even more narrow.
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

Words like thin, tinny and narrow are giving me pause. Are you saying it’s not all it’s cracked up to be?

Haven’t actually taken delivery of mine yet…
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Don"t worry Scott! Those words are just used to describe "different" in a lot of cases. On some patches, the I-7 actually sounds better or fuller so it's not always the case.

At any rate, even if the 5080 or SRX patches sound a little weaker comparatively, as deswind said we can always tweak the sounds to our liking and then we have all of those lovely SuperNATURAL sounds to deal with as well! Like for example, the SNS bank starts out with no fewer than 8 variations of just JP-8 strings.
steve77

Post by steve77 »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Don"t worry Scott! Those words are just used to describe "different" in a lot of cases. On some patches, the I-7 actually sounds better or fuller so it's not always the case.

At any rate, even if the 5080 or SRX patches sound a little weaker comparatively, as deswind said we can always tweak the sounds to our liking and then we have all of those lovely SuperNATURAL sounds to deal with as well! Like for example, the SNS bank starts out with no fewer than 8 variations of just JP-8 string

I still think for the money your getting an awesome machine.... and I dont even have mine yet :(
I sold my XV2020 with the SRX Orchestra card, that was hard to let go.But now not only will I have the Orchestral card,but the whole gambit. Even at retail cost... x 12 SRX cards it was about $1200 +. Plus the JP80s SN tones this machine IMO is worth the bucks especially at $1799 in Canada.Im also looking forward to having the XV5080 patches and some of the olders 70s-80s EPs etc..
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

alpha_C wrote:Good luck with you job ! I noticed that some patches from web demos sound better than on my I7. An example.
Patch no 189 PlayEuroRiff from SRX 05 sound on Integra much worse than as is it presented on the webside:
http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/srx_demo.html
Any ideas why is that ?
One more. PlayEuroRiff consist of 6 single voices (manual of SRX5). I edited this sound on I7. That's correct.
6 voice but 4 of 6 are internal waves !!!. So mayby that is the reasen ?. I7 PCM waves and fantom's ones are different ???
May anybody has got SRX05 and can check this 4 waves ?
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

steve77 wrote:I7 PCM waves and fantom's ones are different ???
I think there is no doubt on that score. As I mentioned, even the same "JP-8Square" tone used on the "Inertia" patch sounded more out front and fuller on the I-7 patch compared to the 5080. I was curious so I turned off the other tones on the patch to determine which one was most different and it was that one. Didn't seem to be related to the EFX either as far as that one was concerned.

I also have the SRX-09 Exp. boards (World Collection) on the XV-5080 and the FantomXR and will be comparing those soon to see how many differences there are there between those and the I-7.
I still think for the money your getting an awesome machine.... and I dont even have mine yet :(
Hope you get it soon...you are in for an awesome ride. It is one heavy duty box-of-sounds!
steve77

Post by steve77 »

Hope you get it soon...you are in for an awesome ride. It is one heavy duty box-of-sounds!

Just received a call from my retailer... mine is in :)
Hope to have it by next Wednesday... I live 3 1/2 hours away from the store unfortunatly,and just came back from that area 2 days ago and too busy the next few days.The suspense!!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Congrats s77! Get some rest in the meantime...

...because going through 6000 sounds takes some stamina!! ;-0
deswind

Post by deswind »

Yes - some of the sounds are different - not necessarily better or worse. And many of the supernatural sounds are awesome. I do not want to dissuade anyone from getting an INtegra. I think it is a great product.
But I am just trying to be honest that there are some sounds that do sound a little different from the SRX cards.

I have a hard time believing that someone cannot make valuable use of this unit.

P.S. love the supernatual trumpet, trombone and french horn. (as well as Sitar, cello, vibes, elec guitars, etc.)

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Don"t worry Scott! Those words are just used to describe "different" in a lot of cases. On some patches, the I-7 actually sounds better or fuller so it's not always the case.

At any rate, even if the 5080 or SRX patches sound a little weaker comparatively, as deswind said we can always tweak the sounds to our liking and then we have all of those lovely SuperNATURAL sounds to deal with as well! Like for example, the SNS bank starts out with no fewer than 8 variations of just JP-8 strings.
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

I also have the SRX-09 Exp. boards (World Collection) on the XV-5080 and the FantomXR and will be comparing those soon to see how many differences there are there between those and the I-7.
I used to have XR a few years ago. Which one sound better (AD converters, EFX) XR or I7. I consider go back to XR + SRX 6,7,8,9....
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

alpha_C wrote:I used to have XR a few years ago. Which one sound better (AD converters, EFX) XR or I7. I consider go back to XR + SRX 6,7,8,9....
I think that may become largely a matter of personal taste and is why I have so many Roland modules...they all have their own particular strengths and slight filter differences that make them all indispensable to me (especially the JD-990's!)

If faced with a choice, I would opt for the Integra-7 hands down, because even though the XR is a fantastic sounding 128-voice 1-rackspace unit that allows up to 6 SRX boards, in the Integra you get all 12 SRX titles + the SuperNATURAL + Motional Surround + all of the XV 5080 tones and more for a price that can't be beat.