question about virtual slots, please help

Forum for Integra 7
adsoto

question about virtual slots, please help

Post by adsoto »

Hello to everybody from Mexico... I just ordered the integra 7, I plan to switch from a couple of xv-3080 and a xv-5050 fully loaded with expansions to the new integra (I very much like the idea of having just one module controlled from an Ipad)
I plan to use the integra for live playing, here is my question, the manual said that I need to load the expansions first in order to hear the sounds. what if I have a studio set using 4 expansions and then switch to another studio set using a different set of expansions? will the expansions load automatically when I recall the studio set? or; do I have to manually load the expansions and then recall the studio set? this last situation does not seem convenient for live playing situations. please advise
kernell32

Re: question about virtual slots, please help

Post by kernell32 »

hello, you can upload only 4 slots, if you select a studio set that uses the sounds of other boards, the sounds do not come out.
To change srx you use iPad or panel integra7. I hope for an update of S.O. to load srx with SysEx.

However, when you start Integra7 you have more than 2000 sounds in rom + 1024 + user loaded the sounds of the 4 slots.

Hello from Rome / Italy
adsoto

Post by adsoto »

thank you very much for asnwering my question kernell...
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Heres a more direct question:

if you switch from studio set A that uses srx 1234
to studio set B that uses 5678

Will studio set B pull in srx 5678 or are we forced to do this manually every time we switch studio sets
that use different combinations of srx cards?
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

You have to load 5678 manually (imagine virtual slots and SRX as real slots and SRX)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Well that just does not make sense at all...
I agree that individual patches would not require this since it would take too much time to be swapping in and out virtual cards for individual patches,

But Studio sets are a different ball game
How many studio sets can this thing handle?
are we suppose to remember them all?

Come on Roland!!
screw your head on straight (its the 21st century not 1975)
kernell32

Post by kernell32 »

I use integra7 and sounds srx not load them because they do not need.With HQ SN + SN Synth + SN Acoustic + PCM synth sounds I have all the sounds available when I turn it on.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kernell32 wrote:I use integra7 and sounds srx not load them because they do not need.With HQ SN + SN Synth + SN Acoustic + PCM synth sounds I have all the sounds available when I turn it on.
Yes, and that way you can have all possible number of different live sets provided you use the same loaded EXP Slots, like the ExPCM, that has 512 PCM-Synth tones + 19 PCM-Drum kits, or your Favorite set of SRX and ExSN boards, which would be the way I would do it if I had an Integra on stage.
In a studio environment, this is not a problem anyway...

I think that Roland should think about having a new way of allowing different live sets having different ExP cards without having to load them each time we change from one live set to another. For example, some kind of registration approach like the ones on the JP-80, Just a thought for improvement...
Although I feel that would require further NVRAM to accomplish this, at least.
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

I really hope the virtual SRX slot system will be removed with future update. Its - well, silly :)
The sounds from SRX cards could be made as vuilt on sound groups (for easyer managing), but to make them as "virtual sxr cards" does not make sense. Tehnically there is no need for this. Its one and the biggest problem of integra that should be removed. Why do I need to load all sounds from soundgroup, that is somewhy made as virtual srx, to use just ONE sound from that group ? Just make the SRX cards as built in sounds and everything will be smooth and fine. Mark them as SRX subcategory in the sound list (this way its easyer to find them) just like tou can select sounds by selecting "pianos", "guitars", "basses", you have soundgroups "SRX-01" ect in the menu. Technically there is no need for "virtual slots". It is made just to "emulate" Srx cards to show - we have all srx cards built in. As stupid as one synth software I use, whe I have to go through all the turn on, plug cables and load floppy procedure, just to make it look similar to real synth....
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Catarsis wrote:I really hope the virtual SRX slot system will be removed with future update. Its - well, silly :)
The sounds from SRX cards could be made as vuilt on sound groups (for easyer managing), but to make them as "virtual sxr cards" does not make sense. Tehnically there is no need for this. Its one and the biggest problem of integra that should be removed. Why do I need to load all sounds from soundgroup, that is somewhy made as virtual srx, to use just ONE sound from that group ? Just make the SRX cards as built in sounds and everything will be smooth and fine. Mark them as SRX subcategory in the sound list (this way its easyer to find them) just like tou can select sounds by selecting "pianos", "guitars", "basses", you have soundgroups "SRX-01" ect in the menu. Technically there is no need for "virtual slots". It is made just to "emulate" Srx cards to show - we have all srx cards built in. As stupid as one synth software I use, whe I have to go through all the turn on, plug cables and load floppy procedure, just to make it look similar to real synth....
This loading need has to do with the way integra's hardware was set. The SRX integration has to be thought about as being a bonus and not as a main feature, but...

Regarding the virtual slots, lets assume you have all 12 SRX original boards...and no integra.
If you want to choose sounds from each one of them, you will have to have enough boards (XRs, Fantoms, SonicCells, etc) to allow all the 12 to be available at one given time, with the added complexity of managing all that.

Now lets assume you only have your favorite 4 SRXs (like many musicians have in real life)...
With integra you can choose whatever sound you want from the Supernatural Analogue, Supernatural Synth, Supernatural Drums + PCM Synth + PCM Drums + whatever sound you want from those favorite 4 SRXs chosen as a PCM Synth tones too, so perfectly integrated in the board's range of PCM Synth tones (by category, I mean).

Isn't this powerful?
Catarsis

Post by Catarsis »

Hi PauloF !

I didn't say, Integra is not powerful. Actually - its awsome. I'd buy it even, if it was only supernatural module :)
If it wasn' t hreat, it wouldn't sit in my setup with all the other Roland equipment I have :) And i can say I have more than few ;)

Just - knowing the technology, it' s silly... There is no actual need for this. And in some occasions it can be a - well, not problem, but - lets say discomfort.

Lets say I do my next world fusion track. Drums are from super natural (ofcourse), but I actually need a additional set from Srx World card. Then a rain effect from Super natural FX expansion card, a good strings section from Full orchestra SRX, the acoustic bass sounds just what I need in Supernatural Session carwd and... oh, I need dance riff with sounds from Supreme dance :(
Just the one sound.

Yeah, in my case I will do it as a separate audio track, so I can load even another 4 cards, if I need, but that's just not what it should be. Integra has more potensial, if the virtual whatever limitation will be removed - just load the sounds you need.

Just imagine, how much Integra was better and more attractive to clients, if the "virtual expansion slots" were removed and the patches were just patches from different sources. Other way, we can go more "crazy" and make all the sounds loadable to virtual slots. Integra h a lot of pathes from SR-JV cards, lets make them also "virtual exspansions". Then lets move all the XV-5080 sounds to anoth loadable "virtual expansion" ect. Sounds stupid, isn' t ?

Anyway I love the Integra
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Catarsis wrote:Hi PauloF !

I didn't say, Integra is not powerful. Actually - its awsome. I'd buy it even, if it was only supernatural module :)
If it wasn' t hreat, it wouldn't sit in my setup with all the other Roland equipment I have :) And i can say I have more than few ;)

Just - knowing the technology, it' s silly... There is no actual need for this. And in some occasions it can be a - well, not problem, but - lets say discomfort.

Lets say I do my next world fusion track. Drums are from super natural (ofcourse), but I actually need a additional set from Srx World card. Then a rain effect from Super natural FX expansion card, a good strings section from Full orchestra SRX, the acoustic bass sounds just what I need in Supernatural Session carwd and... oh, I need dance riff with sounds from Supreme dance :(
Just the one sound.

Yeah, in my case I will do it as a separate audio track, so I can load even another 4 cards, if I need, but that's just not what it should be. Integra has more potensial, if the virtual whatever limitation will be removed - just load the sounds you need.

Just imagine, how much Integra was better and more attractive to clients, if the "virtual expansion slots" were removed and the patches were just patches from different sources. Other way, we can go more "crazy" and make all the sounds loadable to virtual slots. Integra h a lot of pathes from SR-JV cards, lets make them also "virtual exspansions". Then lets move all the XV-5080 sounds to anoth loadable "virtual expansion" ect. Sounds stupid, isn' t ?

Anyway I love the Integra
Hi Catarsis,
I'm not defending Roland's strategy at all, just saying that if we see integra as a SN Module + a-lot-of-extras, that's fine, so there's no problem with having to load the up to 4 Virtual Slots...

On the other hand, if you read my previous post
PauloF wrote: I think that Roland should think about having a new way of allowing different live sets having different ExP cards without having to load them each time we change from one live set to another. For example, some kind of registration approach like the ones on the JP-80, Just a thought for improvement...
Although I feel that would require further NVRAM to accomplish this, at least.
I really think that Roland should rethink about it, as having something like I describe would be fantastic and will turn this Module in "THE MODULE".

I can't see the hour to have one myself, even with these problems... ;-)
SynthzzGuy

Post by SynthzzGuy »

PauloF wrote:
Now lets assume you only have your favorite 4 SRXs (like many musicians have in real life)...
With integra you can choose whatever sound you want from the Supernatural Analogue, Supernatural Synth, Supernatural Drums + PCM Synth + PCM Drums + whatever sound you want from those favorite 4 SRXs chosen as a PCM Synth tones too, so perfectly integrated in the board's range of PCM Synth tones (by category, I mean).

Isn't this powerful?
I agree with PauloF, it is still very powerful (at least in a live situation). Decide which 4 SRX's are your favorite and build your Studio Sets around them to avoid patch association conflicts and loading issues. In the studio, I don't see this being a huge problem.

However, it would be nice if the Integra 7 would load these 4 favs automatically upon boot. Does anyone know if can do that or do we have to manually load them after each boot? If not, hopefully this could be added as a future update. My new Integra 7 arrives tomorrow so can see for myself.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

However, it would be nice if the Integra 7 would load these 4 favs automatically upon boot. Does anyone know if can do that or do we have to manually load them after each boot?
You can save the expansion setup and it will automatically load when you turn it on SG.

Congrats on the I-7. Enjoy!

Best regards,
.:':.DH.:':.
rolandvet

Post by rolandvet »

I think the expansion set up is the worst feature of the Integra.

SRX cards aside, there are five or so small expansion banks of additional SN-A sound. Most of these have less than 20 sounds on them. There's no reason (unless there was a technical problem) why these sounds couldn't have either been added to the preset SN-A bank or all combined into single SN-A bank so you could load them all in just one spot.

The other big issue is that if you want to use just one of the new HQ PCM expansion sounds, you have to load all four expansion slots with them. Makes no sense. Why Roland didn't break these up into four separate loadable expansion banks if beyond me.

However, I've heard rumors that this architecture was the dreamchild of Roland's Japanese marketing department, and that Roland's U.S. product teams are pressuring them to revise the OS to address this issue.