User critique

Forum for Integra 7
TagPass

User critique

Post by TagPass »

Been using my I7 for a few weeks now, and am really enjoying having a Roland module back in my production arsenal again. (I sold off all my Roland gear in 2007 to finance an Oasys, so when it was announced that the I7 would have all those wonderful SRX sounds included -- and I can now afford gear without the need for selling off other stuff -- I jumped at the chance!)

Firstly, the I7 is a great companion to the Oasys, rivaling, and in MANY cases (significantly) surpassing the quality of sounds therein. Pianos and EPs on the I7 = superior. SN Acoustic and Electric Guitars blow the Oasys away; no contest there at all. I think I prefer the bass sounds on the I7 to the factory ones on the Oasys. Strings and other orchestral sounds I would say are about equal, as are many of the drum/percussion and synth sounds. The I7 does have a LOT of just great, simple, bread and butter synth sounds that aren't trying to do anything fancy, which is what I like to use most of the time anyway. There are also some great ethnic/world sounds on the I7 for which there is no direct counterpart on the Oasys.

I'd incorporated the I7 right away into a game scoring project that I'm currently working on, and so far I'm very happy with the results, sound-wise. For those of you who wonder what the appeal is of a module like this, compared to, say, using Kontakt sample libraries, I can tell you this: even with a relatively powerful computer running 64-bit Logic, I still get all kinds of memory issues, lockups and crashes using so many instances of Kontakt, so it's been nice to offload some of that power onto an external unit. Of course, Logic has an issue sometimes with external MIDI devices where it doesn't send a note off message after loop recording and notes sustain forever until you activate a MIDI panic -- so you solve one problem and Logic gives you another, but I digress...

So, some things that aren't so great:

- External input is stereo only, so my Moog Phatty is always panned hard right or left, UNLESS I use Motional Surround -- then I can move the signal around. Seems weird that you can't set the input to dual mono or use the studio set mixer to adjust it. Personally, I find the Motional Surround stuff a little gimmicky...

- The iPad editor... well, it kind of sucks. As everyone is already aware, it does not make ALL of the editable parameters accessible. It is very slow to refresh when trying to switch studio sets, both wirelessly and via USB hooked into the camera kit connector.

- Wireless connectivity is unreliable. Now, keep in mind, I am using the non-Roland-branded N150 wireless adapter -- the Netgear WNA1100, NOT the RL version, so if you end up paying double for the one with the Roland logo on it, you may have less problems. Following the instructions to setup wireless was easy enough, but via my home network, the editor would frequently lose connection to the Integra. By switching into ad-hoc mode, I definitely fared better; however, if you get caught up in a jam and the iPad goes to sleep? Well, the connection is severed and you have to go back into the editor config panel to reinstate it. Using the USB cable is probably the best way to go -- unless you need that for MIDI and Audio I/O for your computer. Then you're screwed.

That said, it's not TOO bad editing from the front panel. It sometimes takes you a few more arrow button presses than you might want to tolerate, but there have been worse synths in this regard. Thankfully, I don't tend to do extensive editing where I build sounds from scratch, so most of what I wanted/needed to do so far has been pretty easy and logical.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the eventual (rumored!) VST editor (?) fares better compared to what the iPad one currently offers. It's neat "showy" tech, but not wonderful for practical use.

- Speaking of USB MIDI -- the Integra is NOT a MIDI "interface" per se, in that the DIN jacks simply mirror the USB output. So if you want to use the Integra to interface another external synth, well... you can, but if you're expecting 16 fresh MIDI channels on the DIN sockets, be prepared to be disappointed. And be prepared to hear your other gear playing in unison with the Integra's sounds that are setup for that channel. Not sure why Roland did it this way.

- Since the wireless sucks, it'd be nice if that front USB slot accepted input and supplied power to a little class-compliant controller keyboard for auditioning sounds. That's a very minor gripe -- and one that's probably mostly particular to the way *my* studio area is setup, but it would've been a neat feature to have that level of "desktop integration".

I wouldn't consider any of these grievances to be dealbreakers though, and I certainly don't regret for a second jumping back on the Roland bandwagon. I am looking forward to what future updates will add to the mix, but so far, so good...
SoundworldA.D.

Re: User critique

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Bloody good post TP...bloody good! Well thought out and eloquently said I must say old chap.

I am also mating up the sounds on my I-7 to an OASYS, along with a Jupiter-80, 3 V-Synth's and too many others to mention and must say that some of the sounds are sure to be "regulars" in my mixes. I already have a maxed XV-5080 so those sounds were no big deal to me but the inclusion of all 12 of the SRX's, some of which I didn't already have was a big bonus.
I wouldn't consider any of these grievances to be dealbreakers though, and I certainly don't regret for a second jumping back on the Roland bandwagon. I am looking forward to what future updates will add to the mix, but so far, so good...
Very well put. I am heartbroken to see some so PO'ed at the lack of this or that gadget on the unit making them ready to sell it. I know it is not perfect and would of course like to have every doo-dad and gadget in the known universe included but at the end of the day, I am just going to do what I always do...make music!

I was originally perplexed and appalled at the MIDI implementation on the Jupiter but I just have to make-do with it however it is. The thing sounds like a monster and is such a beauty. It was after all billed as a "performance synth." My bad for not checking under the hood first. Now that she's in the Soundworld, she's not going anywhere, MIDI shortcomings or not!

Life's just too short to start whining and complaining because the world ain't perfect! Lookin' at my glass...she's half full (always)!! ;-)

Thanks for the post and have a great day.
.:':.DH.:':.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I guess as always with Roland it's about the sounds. And based on that this thing sounds like it has grown wings and is flying out of the shops. I think people love the Roland sound and back in the day they made a lot of modules which everyone seemed to have. I've used quite a few. I just wish Roland would get some of the OS features a bit better worked out. Usually they have great easy to use interfaces, but they just sort of forget something... I was amazed how limited the iPad editor is. The FG suffers from the same thing, needed far better file management tools as it's so powerful and flexible it kind of let itself down not having a few extra functions...

Still we're talking Roland here and SOUND is king... Trust me my ancient D-70 sounds much better in the cold light of day than my Korg Wavestation plug in which the original came out at the same time...
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Still we're talking Roland here and SOUND is king... Trust me my ancient D-70 sounds much better in the cold light of day than my Korg Wavestation plug in which the original came out at the same time...
Whoo...wee! Just hitting a low chord on "Space Dream" still sends shivers down my spine! Those Linear Arithmatic sounds are the reason I still have my D-70 hooked up and ready to go. The keyboard...she's kaput with a lot of sticking keys but I don't use it as a master anymore so it's not a problem.

Hmm...still also love those swirling textures and sweet sounds on my WavestationSR and 01R/W though too.

Love em' all. You're right...at the end of the day it is all about the SOUNDS. I CAN live without the latest computer gadgetry. I CAN'T live without beautiful and interesting sounds, be they from nature, wooden and/or metallic instruments or synthesizers both new and old.

Isn't it the most!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Whoo...wee! Just hitting a low chord on "Space Dream" still sends shivers down my spine! Those Linear Arithmatic sounds are the reason I still have my D-70 hooked up and ready to go. The keyboard...she's kaput with a lot of sticking keys but I don't use it as a master anymore so it's not a problem.
Right on! Yeah that Space Dream patch is amazing! For some reason the D-70 has a really round bottom end and clear crisp top end. The filters on it are incredible. The later JV>Fantom line just don't have the same vibe. Whoever originally programmed the D-70s presets (Eric Persing?) came up with some great stuff. Lead Synth 2, all the Moog basses, Ghosties, Space Dream, Sweep Space, the list goes on. I found it a very inspiring synth to play back in the day. I rebought one via the clan about two years ago and really was amazed by how much i love playing it. My low C# key has just stopped working though, bit of a shame as I had it fully serviced a bit over a year ago but the keys were all good back then.

I agree about the WS.The wave sequencing stuff is pretty cool. I think some of basic samples just aren't as punchy as the D-70 on that one and the 01/W, I was a bit underwhelmed by that one though I used it a bit back in the day. That flute loop sample and the arp sequencer sample got a workout from that one by just about everyone.

Yep its all about the sound. I have really come back to hardware in the last couple of years.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Whoever originally programmed the D-70s presets (Eric Persing?) came up with some great stuff. Lead Synth 2, all the Moog basses, Ghosties, Space Dream, Sweep Space, the list goes on.
Two of my sound programming "greats" were and are Jack Hotop and Eric Persing. While we know that Jack is still at Korg and Eric went on to found Spectrasonics, I personally feel that Roland lost a lot when Eric left. The guy could just do amazing things with those S-series samplers, and a listen to "The City Weeps" which is the first demo song on the venerable old JD-990 demonstrates his penchant for creating those short sound spaces that tingle the senses.

Do you have any of the sound card sets for the D-70? I happen to have a spare PN-D70-02 card that I would be happy to part with. The THX patch is MASSIVE, and there are "movement" patches like NO WAY OUT, Eden ! and Monolith that are still some of favourites. Only thing is that it requires the adjunct PCM sound element card SN-SPLA-01 for a lot of the patches. I just saw one on E-bay for ~$50.

If you're interested just PM me and let me know. I have no use for two of them!
steve77

Post by steve77 »

SW said "I am also mating up the sounds on my I-7 to an OASYS, along with a Jupiter-80, 3 V-Synth's and too many others to mention and must say that some of the sounds are sure to be "regulars" in my mixes."

Right now Im using the Roland I7 with my Kurzweil PC-3 the combinations and layers are flawlwess they really compliment each other and the nice thing is my PC-3 is inputed into the Roland so I can mix the blend
of the 2.There's no end to what you can do and the midi assign on the PC-3 is working well with the I7
as far as modulation, pitch bend, cutoff and resonance. I didnt have to assign anything.I will be getting the Korg Krome 88 key next week since the PC-3 is 76 keys.... I sold my old Korg Sp200 Digital piano and I miss 88 weighted keys so this will be interesting to see how the I7 will work along with the Korg.
After having a house fire where I lost about $7000.00 of my gear plus other items and sold off some of my old gear to update to newer stuff. It made it possable to do this upgrade (a blessing in disguise.)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Right now Im using the Roland I7 with my Kurzweil PC-3 the combinations and layers are flawlwess they really compliment each other and the nice thing is my PC-3 is inputed into the Roland so I can mix the blend
of the 2.
And, the manual says you can take the input sound and add Motional Surround to it. Let us know how the PC-3 sounds in 3D!
steve77

Post by steve77 »

Yes SW I will definately do that mind you I dont have the IPad to move the sounds around but Ill see what the difference is between motional suuround and bypass.
Im still getting over the awesome sound of the piano on the I7 its the best piano Ive ever played especially in a module format and thats just with my sennheiser headphones.... havent tried it thru my monitors yet,they're still on order along with a mixer.And to think I have 5999 sounds to go, Ive tried many but not seriously yet.Im still in awe over the pianos............just Drooling....... It makes you want to be creative sometimes it's hard to step away.

What Im looking forward to is to use the Roland A-Pro800 as a controller for all the different instruments ie violin, sax, trumpet etc and see all the midi assignments are available to make these instruments sound more realistic and preset the control map.
Im not an expert in a lot of midi info other than the basics I could use some help when I get the controller.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

steve77 wrote:...
Im not an expert in a lot of midi info other than the basics I could use some help when I get the controller.

Some MIDI basics for you to read (I've posted this link on another thread): http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... 1_MIDI.pdf
steve77

Post by steve77 »

PauloF wrote:
steve77 wrote:...

Some MIDI basics for you to read (I've posted this link on another thread): http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... 1_MIDI.pdf

Thanks Paulof I downloaded it to my favorites will check it out.
All I want to do is use the Apro800 controller for the I7 so I can utilize the solo instruments to there max capacity.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

steve77 wrote: All I want to do is use the Apro800 controller for the I7 so I can utilize the solo instruments to there max capacity.
Me too. Just hoping to be able to get an i-7 soon (before it is discontinued, like happened with the Fantom G, as I never got the opportunity (read money) to get one before Roland stopped producing them... LOL)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Me too. Just hoping to be able to get an i-7 soon (before it is discontinued, like happened with the Fantom G, as I never got the opportunity (read money) to get one before Roland stopped producing them... LOL)
Yes! We are hoping for that too Paulo. It is high time for another magnum opus like "The Clan" to appear on your SoundClick page!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
Yes! We are hoping for that too Paulo. It is high time for another magnum opus like "The Clan" to appear on your SoundClick page!
Thanks SW. I just hope I have enough inspiration too LOL
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks SW. I just hope I have enough inspiration too LOL
Oh the inspiration should come easy with the I-7. We just won't be expecting another 8 minute-plus blaster this time...5 minutes should do! ;-D